3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

I need an alarm input please

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2004, 11:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking I need an alarm input please

Well the neighborhood isnt what it used to be so i need an alarm. I keep some pretty valuble stuff in my truck so I need something good. I would also love to have remote start. My truck has the century key so I dont know if that will complicate things much. I am looking at the compustar 300 i think. it has remote start, paging 5000 foot range and lots of other stuff. I just need your guys input on what you are running and such. thanks alot guys.
Old 10-26-2004, 01:13 AM

Hey, I personally am runing a Black Widow 7150. Pretty much all the bells and whistles including remote start. Good thing is you have an auto as they are a pain to setup on 6-speeds. You will need a transponder bypass to get your remote start to function. The plus there is that it allows the "grey key" to do it's job so when the alarm is armed you have ignition kill 2 ways. There are a few companys out there that make good units, just be sure to get a good install. Most failures on remote start and alarms are installation based.Hope this helps.
Old 10-26-2004, 07:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Viper also has a good unit..........marketed through DEI (Directed Electronics Inc.)
Usaully sold through most alarm stereo stores. DEI has a website don't have it offhand....just do a search
Old 10-26-2004, 09:20 PM

I have a Viper on my 98 Jeep TJ and it works great. Been on for over 4 years and on problems.
Old 10-27-2004, 08:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Alarms are pretty worthless in my experience unless you are right there. I had a state of the art viper alarm in my jeep with infareds for when the top was down etc etc. Had the thing broken into twice with the alarm activated. People hear them go off all the time so pay them no mind in the city. Half the time you won't pay attention because of all the false alarms. Lastly if the theif really wants whats in your truck, they'll do what they did to my alarm - just start ripping wires out and cutting until the siren stops.. they cut my a/c , heater, etc etc wires. Caused more trouble than if I had no alarm and just lost my stereo equipment.. Just another perspective.
Old 10-27-2004, 02:25 PM

I just finished installing a Valet 554r with remote start on my truck last weekend. Although I agree that it won't stop real theives from getting what they want, it does have lots of good features that I like. It has a turbo cooldown timer and will start the truck overnite by itself in really cold weather. It also lets you know if the truck actually started or not so you don't have to be in view of the truck. I started mine after I got out of the shower this morning.
I've seen them on Ebay for as low as $179.00 but you'll need some extra parts for the Dodge Diesel. They are made by the same company that makes the Viper and Clifford alarms (DEI).

Also, check out the site www.the12volt.com for the info you could ever want about car stereos and security systems.
Old 10-27-2004, 11:30 PM

The fact that many people ignore alarm sirens nowadays from improperly setup shock sensors is a fact of life. Another fact is that the alarm I have(there are Vipers and various others the same) has 2 way paging, as long as I am within a 1/4 mile of my truck (which is 90% of the time) the alarm pad will telll me when the alarm is setoff and what sensor caused it. By the time the thief bypasses the "grey key" security and the alarm start kill they will be counting their teeth stuck in my bat...
Old 10-28-2004, 01:11 AM

haha

and mine too