3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

I know, not another exhaust question, but....

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 11:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MBRP, sounds good and your head wont be pounding after a long drive!
Old 08-20-2007, 11:38 PM

I put a 5in MBRP catback on my truck first w/and the w/o the kitty. Honestly the noise level wasnt that different-LOUD. The sound was great. The only problem IMO is that it really droned between 70 and 80mph- exactly where I cruise on the highway. After a 4 hour drive it was too much. So I put the stock exhaust back on minus the kitty. I thought this would be ok. It was. Nice and quiet again. Unfortunately the stock muffler is just too restictive for my set-up and the EGT climbed too high too fast. This morning I went back to the 5in. LOVE the sound but my neighbors dont! My wife tells me it rattles the windows when I pull onto our street!

One very important observation: my truck got louder and louder. When I first put on the 5in it seemed like the muffler actually muffled some sound. But after 5000 miles or so it might as well be a straight pipe; maybe the soot build-up was responsible?
Old 08-21-2007, 01:59 PM
MTC

Thanks for the replies. I think Im going with the mbrp muffler and hope for a good sound. My main reason is cause I tow alot and I dont want to get a headache. We will see.....
Old 08-21-2007, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by t-boe
I've got the MBRP replacement on mine. I killed the kitty too (off road use only). I love the sound. If you keep the cat and just change the muffler you won't have any issues with your warranty. Hardest part installing it was getting the old muffler off. I suggest getting accu-seal clamps too. It won't be too loud if you keep the cat, but it'll give you some sound and it won't be raspy.
Originally Posted by tritont
IMO, the sound isn't going to change much if you leave the cat on. It can really baffle some noise. It may be a little deeper ???

I just removed the stock exhaust on my wifes truck and reinstalled using a cat "test" pipe and SS MBRP cat back. It's definitely louder than stock but, still mild compared to what it can sound like.

To really get the benefit of your exhaust, doing what I said above is the trick. ( I hope my code talk is working. I'm gonna get in trouble ) That and a good CAI and your truck will love it. Your dealer on the other hand.... I'd ask them cause they all are different.

You could always try a 4" Aero muffler toom it might not cost as much. It's a little louder than a MBRP though.

Just how bad is the noise?
I have the MBRP with a cat, but when on the track, my EGT's are sky high. I was going to put on a test pipe but wanted to see just how much louder it would be?
Old 08-22-2007, 07:18 PM
MTC

Thanks everyone...I went with the mbrp muffler and the offset pipe that comes with the kit. Gonna install it on saturday
Old 08-22-2007, 08:18 PM

I have a 24" magnaflow on mine with the cat still on. I was gonna go with a replacement the same size as the stock muffler but he talked me into a shorter one. It is noticeably deeper but not too loud. You can hear it when taking off and when getting on it to pass etc. But while driving down the road you can just barely hear a little rumble. I love it. I didn' t want anything too loud when I put it on either. The guy at the muffler shop tried to get to cut off the cat but I told him no that I didn't want it too loud.
Old 08-22-2007, 08:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MTC
Thanks everyone...I went with the mbrp muffler and the offset pipe that comes with the kit. Gonna install it on saturday
what kit is that?
Old 08-23-2007, 12:56 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Texan1983
I'm in the same boat as you... but i have heard an 05 dodge with a cat still in place, and the strait pipe, and i think it sound great. now my problem is that i don't have a cat in my 04 and am a little worried that it will be to loud with the straight pipe. but i think i am just going to say screw it and get the straight pipe and see what happens... i can always put the stock back on.
you might not be able to put the stocker back on tex.. I know when I put my straight pipe put on I had to take my stocker off with an air chisel. The factory really gets down on those u-bolt muffler clamps. The crush the pipe a little inside the muffler which makes it impossible to take off without cutting it. So I hope you like the straight pipe like I did cuz your kinda stuck with it or a new muffler if you dont.. Just a heads up
Old 08-23-2007, 05:23 AM

Rokktech and Silverline both have sound clips on their websites.
Old 08-23-2007, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by TrkEnvy
you might not be able to put the stocker back on tex.. I know when I put my straight pipe put on I had to take my stocker off with an air chisel. The factory really gets down on those u-bolt muffler clamps. The crush the pipe a little inside the muffler which makes it impossible to take off without cutting it. So I hope you like the straight pipe like I did cuz your kinda stuck with it or a new muffler if you dont.. Just a heads up
good to know... thanks, i think i'll still try the straight pipe and go from there. hopefully it not crazy loud!
Old 08-23-2007, 07:47 PM
MTC

By "kit" I mean that I got the mbrp muffler and an offset pipe together in one box. I paid $190. The box is out in the truck on the back seat and Im too lazy to walk out and look at the part number....If I remember correctly, its something like MK96116. The muffler and offset pipe have factory hangers welded on them, so hopefully it'll be an easy install.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by MTC
By "kit" I mean that I got the mbrp muffler and an offset pipe together in one box. I paid $190. The box is out in the truck on the back seat and Im too lazy to walk out and look at the part number....If I remember correctly, its something like MK96116. The muffler and offset pipe have factory hangers welded on them, so hopefully it'll be an easy install.
yea, i guess i was wanting to know where you got it, i haven't seen anything like that.
Old 08-24-2007, 08:06 AM
tcr

Originally Posted by duddin10
I have a 24" magnaflow on mine with the cat still on. I was gonna go with a replacement the same size as the stock muffler but he talked me into a shorter one. It is noticeably deeper but not too loud. You can hear it when taking off and when getting on it to pass etc. But while driving down the road you can just barely hear a little rumble. I love it. I didn' t want anything too loud when I put it on either. The guy at the muffler shop tried to get to cut off the cat but I told him no that I didn't want it too loud.
The guy at the muffler shop tried to get to cut off the cat but I told him no that I didn't want it too loud

That's a GREAT muffler shop!
Old 08-25-2007, 09:38 PM
MTC

I installed the mbrp muffler and offset pipe today. I love the sound and the install was pretty easy. The hardest part was getting the stock muffler off. The only cutting I had to do was on the tailpipe section(I had to cut off about 4"). The sound is exactly what I was looking for.
Old 08-25-2007, 11:44 PM
WAM

As quiet as mine is with a Gino's muffler eliminator, any money spent on an replacement muffler would be wasted in my opinion. This assumes you leave the catalytic in place.

Sure, it's a little louder, but the only time you really notice it is when you gas it (uhh, diesel it?) through an underpass or something with a big concrete slab next to you to reflect the noise. YMMV

Quick Reply: I know, not another exhaust question, but....