3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

I know, not another exhaust question, but....

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 02:12 PM
MTC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know, not another exhaust question, but....

I did numerous searches and found some answers, but I just need some advise. I want to add SOME noise to my truck, but I dont want it obnoxious. I was going to straight pipe it with the muffler elimination pipe from Geno's, but I was advised against it by a few people(they said it would sound very raspy and sound like ****. I also want to leave the cat alone. My question is would the MBRP high flow muffler give me a better(louder) sound out of my truck or would that be a waste of $200. I am also concerned about the warranty...has anybody had any issues with just changing out the muffler? My main concern is will this muffler give me the sound Im looking for, or is the change in sound not really noticable? Any opinions would be appreciated.
Old 08-20-2007, 02:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
MBRP would give it a noticeably louder sound, but it would sound mean. Also consider a 51" Donaldson muffler, they sound great and still have a distinctive tone. It would most likely be louder than the mbrp muffler.
Old 08-20-2007, 02:42 PM

I've got the MBRP replacement on mine. I killed the kitty too (off road use only). I love the sound. If you keep the cat and just change the muffler you won't have any issues with your warranty. Hardest part installing it was getting the old muffler off. I suggest getting accu-seal clamps too. It won't be too loud if you keep the cat, but it'll give you some sound and it won't be raspy.
Old 08-20-2007, 02:50 PM
Banned

IMO, the sound isn't going to change much if you leave the cat on. It can really baffle some noise. It may be a little deeper ???

I just removed the stock exhaust on my wifes truck and reinstalled using a cat "test" pipe and SS MBRP cat back. It's definitely louder than stock but, still mild compared to what it can sound like.

To really get the benefit of your exhaust, doing what I said above is the trick. ( I hope my code talk is working. I'm gonna get in trouble ) That and a good CAI and your truck will love it. Your dealer on the other hand.... I'd ask them cause they all are different.

You could always try a 4" Aero muffler toom it might not cost as much. It's a little louder than a MBRP though.
Old 08-20-2007, 06:18 PM
MTC

Anybody else have any opinions? I appreciate all replies....so far I have one telling me it'll sound like I want it too, and one saying that it wont make a difference. Like I said, I want to keep the cat for numerous reasons. I will def. check into the accu-seal clamps.
Old 08-20-2007, 06:46 PM

exhaust

Well you said you would like to keep the cat...but i have a 5 inch straight pipe going to 6 inch stacks and wouldn't have it any other way. Normal driving it sounds great, not too loud i don't think, when you sure enough get on it then it gets loud but i can't get enough of it
Old 08-20-2007, 06:54 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have my cat still and the genos muffler elimination pipe.. I love it.. its really close to how it was when im gentle on the throttle but when I get into it the thing is deep and sounds good.. you also hear a lot more turbo when you get into it.. not like the whistle though.. more like you can hear the vanes spinning and pushing air.. sounds great to me.. I love mine.
Old 08-20-2007, 07:00 PM

I have straight pipe(out the back, single) as well and agree its the only way to go. Of course mine came without a cat. A warning, warrenty issues arise with dodge over just about everything unless you have a decent dealer so plan to know the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975, and how it protects you.
Old 08-20-2007, 08:12 PM
MTC

I would love to do the stacks, but I use my truck for working as well as recreation. I have a tool box on the back which I cant do without and I need the rest of the bed for other things.

Man, now I have more guys telling me that the straight pipe deal sounds good. Now Im really confused as to what Im going to do. Im going to make a decision this week and just go with it. Any further input would be appreciated.
Old 08-20-2007, 08:33 PM

The aero turbine 4040xL sounds really sweet. Im looking into this heres a link to listen to it.

http://www.aeroexhaust.com/sound_search.php?search=y

Jake
Old 08-20-2007, 09:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MTC
I would love to do the stacks, but I use my truck for working as well as recreation. I have a tool box on the back which I cant do without and I need the rest of the bed for other things.

Man, now I have more guys telling me that the straight pipe deal sounds good. Now Im really confused as to what Im going to do. Im going to make a decision this week and just go with it. Any further input would be appreciated.
I'm in the same boat as you... but i have heard an 05 dodge with a cat still in place, and the strait pipe, and i think it sound great. now my problem is that i don't have a cat in my 04 and am a little worried that it will be to loud with the straight pipe. but i think i am just going to say screw it and get the straight pipe and see what happens... i can always put the stock back on.
Old 08-20-2007, 09:59 PM
trx

I put on an mbrp muffler and found when driving normal it was close to stock but when you put your foot in it sound is noticably better(louder). Its loud enough when i tow and dont think i would want it any louder while pulling a load.
Just my .02
Old 08-20-2007, 10:00 PM

I kept my cat and put an MBRP on there and I like the sound. It's almost as quiet as stock until you get on it then it's loud. But not overly so. It won't wake up the neighbors at 3am. I've heard a few cat deletes and wasn't impressed. And that's not to knock anyone liking that sound I just don't.
Old 08-20-2007, 10:24 PM

My 06 Is Straight Piped With The Cat Still On As If You Take It Off It Will Void Your Warranty If Related To Removing The Cat. Know Your Protections. At Idle And Low Rpms It Is About The Same As Stock A Little Louder With A Little Deeper Tone A Little Raspy But Not To Bad. At Sventy Five Or Eighty There Is A Little Highway Drone But Not To Bad. When You Get On It It Sounds Good To Me And It Gets Loud Enough To Make You Smile Especially In Town When It Is Bouncing Off Buildings. It Is Not Loud Enough To Get Annoying Though Which Is What I Like. Good Luck Hope I Could Help
Old 08-20-2007, 10:44 PM

Using a resonator with the straight pipe makes a good sounding exhaust tone. Eliminates some drone and makes a smooth deep sound , but it is louder than an mbrp muffler set up. I'm currently in the process of putting one on my truck. I've heard others(with resonators) and they sound great. But I'm not sure how they would sound with the kitty. Probably good but just alittle more civilized.

Quick Reply: I know, not another exhaust question, but....