3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

I just tired of it! Please give advise

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 03:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm just tired of it! Please give advise

All right, I've about Edit had it, I had this problem on my truck for along time (haze and smoking, no low end power) and everyone I talk to seems to blame something else. I've thought myself that it was injectors, well after going back to stock it still has the same problem. So during the process of changing injectors I found my valve seals crumbled in the top of my head? So I call Scheid Diesel (where the motor was built) and they want me to haul it down there to look at. So right now it is in their shop and they have found a few bad seals? I ask why they went bad in 5K miles, there reply is don't know? (Doesn't leave me with a lot of confidence.)
Since it is in there shop and they are supposed to be the best in the business, I asked them to check it out and see if they can find what the problem seems to be (as far as the haze and sluggishness). So they got it back together and one of the guys took it for a test drive and instantly is blaming the turbos on being to big? But this thing could hardly spool the stock turbo? And I know of trucks with a lot bigger turbos than mine that spool and drive with no haze.

At this point I really don't give a Edit whos, what, or where the problem is I just want to get to the bottom of it. But it seems that they don't really want to find the problem, because I feel that it might be their problem. I personally feel that I have either a cam, valve or compression issue with the truck. If I don't then great, I just want to get my truck driveable and get on with my life. I'm getting really sick of messing around with it and I am willing to do what ever it takes.

Sorry, but if this goes on much longer you will see my truck for sale in the classifieds.

Thanks again all for your help!

Dustin
Old 08-02-2007, 03:51 PM
Banned

how long has your ordeal gone on?

I've been without my truck for 7 weeks now due to nothing more than "mechanics" messing up. Almost makes me wish it was still stock
Old 08-02-2007, 03:57 PM

Can't offer any advice, but good luck.
I cringe whenever I think of taking any of my trucks to a shop for fear of a similar situation.

Hope it works out for you bud!
Old 08-02-2007, 04:28 PM

Sometimes you have to go to the "competition" to get straight answers...

The TST is not a great bottom end maker...and it won't fuel hard without boost...so it kinda gets hung up with "laggy turbo(s)"...

Try a downloader of some sort...pull the TST...let Floor IT check your CP3...
and have the "correct" valve seals installed per Don M's suggestion.

I bet you will find out what's wrong then. Maybe Scary larry for an 05?
Smarty is a safe bet...then add the TST back in. I like my pressure coming from a MP-8 so I can adjust it better than the TST.

What are your rail pressures? Blown relief valve?
Old 08-02-2007, 04:52 PM
Banned

my advise dude.... Ooooooo, Ooooooo, mellowwww. I know it's easier said than done but, it will get worked out. The haze isn't near as bad a problem as the seals and I don't think they can get out of being at blame for that.

If your turbo is a problem... that's a quick swap you can do yourself at home.

I'd get the truck back and do a oil analyst ever 500 miles to see what's going on. Maybe if you can talk to Don or someone who knows cams, they could give you an idea of what you might see in the analyst to indicate a problem there.

I wonder if they put so much a grind on the cam, you needed longer push rods and they didn't supply them?? Don't know that this could cause the seal problem... just a thought. How do you determine a bad cam ?

Other than that.... I know IN. is full of diesel performance shops. Probably more than anywhere else ! Hang in there man !
Old 08-02-2007, 05:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dustin, maybe it is just an issue of fueling or lack thereof at the right time. I'm not a fan of the TST but I've never tried it on my truck either. What I can tell you is that this Diablo with it's Extreme "Road Kill Larry" Puff toon, as they call it, has about as much bottom end as I can imagine. It's immediate. I have a somewhat larger turbo and I have no lag with just that one tune and nothing else. If I want more I turn on the VA3.2.
Now the ExtremeRKLpuff-toon smokes a little at idle but as soon as boost begins, which is quick, look out. If I lug it, especially between 50-60mph, I can smoke out a 4 lane highway... literally.
Maybe you should give one a try.
Old 08-02-2007, 08:30 PM

sounds like they got in hurry putting it back together. I would be mad also. I dont hear the best things about scheid to start with. but im not ******* on anyones truck. youve spent alot of $ for it to run good and it doesnt. I think you have every right to be unhappy. I would talk to Don M and maybe pourindiesel can help you out. these guys would know what to look for to help you find your issues. I can get an aurora 5k to spool with a smarty on 8 and tst on low levels. I dont think a big turbo is your issue.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:03 PM

Snox's maybe have a compression test done on it to see if the bottom half is ok? Like I mentioned before I don't know how much haze your talking about but mine was kinda doing that too while either idling or at cruz speed. I was hoping you were onto something before but now I don't know. I changed out my Schied tips thinking that was the culprit but now pretty forsure it wasn't. Still maybe cam? I pick my motor up from MCS saturday after I put it back in I hope mine goes away if not I'll be scratching my head too. Good luck.
Old 08-02-2007, 10:10 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
As long as the bottom end is fine, why don't you build it just one more time with the right stuff?

Helix cam, Flux sticks and whatever valve stem seals Don likes... of course you should already be O-ringed, studded and "harmonically balanced".

... might want to machine the intake off the head while it's apart to allow full porting and room for an aftermarket manifold.
Old 08-02-2007, 10:44 PM

like the others said a compression test would give some good info on whats going on...or has it been done??
did any of the crumbled valve seal make it's way to the cylinders walls??
Old 08-02-2007, 11:34 PM

mine is doggy on the low end too with just the tst. Like cquestad said, throw a downloader on there and you will be surprised what a world of difference it will make. On mine, the smarty works the best, but the xcelerator hott also works great. Just have to play and see what works best on your truck. I hope thats all thats wrong, i dont like to see others with major problems. I know how it feels to have a new truck with less then 5K miles and have the pistons melt. Good luck, hope you get this figured out.
Old 08-05-2007, 10:18 AM
DTR Advertiser

Originally Posted by Snoxracer
All right, I've about Edit had it, I had this problem on my truck for along time (haze and smoking, no low end power) and everyone I talk to seems to blame something else. I've thought myself that it was injectors, well after going back to stock it still has the same problem. So during the process of changing injectors I found my valve seals crumbled in the top of my head? So I call Scheid Diesel (where the motor was built) and they want me to haul it down there to look at. So right now it is in their shop and they have found a few bad seals? I ask why they went bad in 5K miles, there reply is don't know? (Doesn't leave me with a lot of confidence.)
Since it is in there shop and they are supposed to be the best in the business, I asked them to check it out and see if they can find what the problem seems to be (as far as the haze and sluggishness). So they got it back together and one of the guys took it for a test drive and instantly is blaming the turbos on being to big? But this thing could hardly spool the stock turbo? And I know of trucks with a lot bigger turbos than mine that spool and drive with no haze.

At this point I really don't give a Edit whos, what, or where the problem is I just want to get to the bottom of it. But it seems that they don't really want to find the problem, because I feel that it might be their problem. I personally feel that I have either a cam, valve or compression issue with the truck. If I don't then great, I just want to get my truck driveable and get on with my life. I'm getting really sick of messing around with it and I am willing to do what ever it takes.

Sorry, but if this goes on much longer you will see my truck for sale in the classifieds.

Thanks again all for your help!

Dustin
Dustin,

We changed your injector nozzles three times. Progressivly getting smaller and finally ending up stock, but we never changed your complete injectors.
Maybe we need to try installing another set of stock injectors? I dont know Man, Im lost here too.

Have you checked the connector tubes? I have had countless people with bad tubes that did not seal.

I would thouroughly check the head gasket seal too. I have seen this haze you are talking about several times when the gasket is leaking.

Did Scheid install the good/correct valve seals?

What the rail pressure at idle and WOT?

I would be willing to send over to Scheid another set of injectors for them to install if you would like?? But I will need them back as soon as possible.

Hang in there, hot rodding is supposed to be fun.
Old 08-05-2007, 10:30 AM
Banned

about his seals. I was told the possible reason they shredded like they did is because they used an air impact tool to compress the valve springs. The springs likely got compress too far which ate into the seals. Their builders are now aware of this and it shouldn't be a problem in the future.

Dustin, I don't know if they told you this but, I talked to Kent the other day and he believes this was the probable cause.
Old 08-05-2007, 10:36 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wow!

IMO, impact wrenches shouldn't be used INSIDE an engine...
Old 08-05-2007, 10:43 AM

Ummm. how the heck do you use an air impact tool to compress valve springs?

Quick Reply: I just tired of it! Please give advise