3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

I have Nitrous questions!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 06:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First off, I find it funny when you guys talk beer,, the heaviest american beer is lighter than our "light" beer... that being said, I recommend ditching the juice. I managed to get to low 12's with it no spray, but was it. After a bunch of time on the dyno I found out that it was just maxed out to what it could do. without changing a thing other than putting the edge to 0 and putting on a diablo sport with the RKL Puff tune I went from 660 HP to 788 HP. And I know that the smarty is way stronger than that.

For what its worth, get the smarty first, your running an awfully small turbo to run much nitrous, I know first hand. And personally I wouldnt fool with all that fancy smancy stuff for nitrous, KISS, WOT switch for a small shot on the bottom to spool, and a push button for a bigger shot after you get into 2nd gear.

When you run nitrous unless you are running a really good external wastegate (which your not) you will overspeed your turbo, and you might get 5 you might get 1, you might even get a dozen good runs, but you WILL smoke your turbo.

Hope that helps

Kevin
Old 09-22-2008, 06:50 PM

Labatt for me brother.

American beer =
Old 09-22-2008, 07:18 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by matego
Here is a pic of a external gate.
Gotcha...
You are a killjoy.
Who? Me?

Originally Posted by BossHogg
I dont know man, you've definately been on here a while not to have heard all the Smarty comments. I know you cant say anyting but Smarty on here. However, they do have a point. I agree with them that anything as modified as yours is past the juice. It gets hot when stacked, and past a certain amount of mods, your truck cant afford to be payin EGT's to the Juice if you know what i MEAN?

Plus it just plain and simply has a good bit more power than the juice, and can be set to come on easy or like a mad hat!

I just got NOS if that tells you anything, but with the mods you have I'd switch up programming before you break your toy!

...and they are calling you THE DUDE becasue all THE DUDE drinks is White Russians!
I'll comment on the smarty stuff in a few... Who is the dude? Anyone got a link? They don't let me off base much...

Originally Posted by morkable
First off, I find it funny when you guys talk beer,, the heaviest american beer is lighter than our "light" beer... that being said, I recommend ditching the juice. I managed to get to low 12's with it no spray, but was it. After a bunch of time on the dyno I found out that it was just maxed out to what it could do. without changing a thing other than putting the edge to 0 and putting on a diablo sport with the RKL Puff tune I went from 660 HP to 788 HP. And I know that the smarty is way stronger than that.

For what its worth, get the smarty first, your running an awfully small turbo to run much nitrous, I know first hand. And personally I wouldnt fool with all that fancy smancy stuff for nitrous, KISS, WOT switch for a small shot on the bottom to spool, and a push button for a bigger shot after you get into 2nd gear.

When you run nitrous unless you are running a really good external wastegate (which your not) you will overspeed your turbo, and you might get 5 you might get 1, you might even get a dozen good runs, but you WILL smoke your turbo.

Hope that helps

Kevin
Kevin, it does.
I am game for any new beer. I love bud, but I am not scared to try new stuff...

Originally Posted by megacabdad
Labatt for me brother.

American beer =
Mute me who?

Boys, I went out tonight, first time I've played with my truck since I got the edge to work... I am not happy. I'm gonna order a smarty in the next few days. It was a great starter box, but it's not good anymore...

I ran it tonight, and my water meth was not spraying (yes, I had it on)...

Edge on 3

Lvl 4

Speedo...

I probably could have done a little better if I would not have been holding a camera... but not good.

Feels like it's shifting too soon, too.

The RP dropped to 12k on 6 look out!
Old 09-22-2008, 09:19 PM

before you mute me...it looks level 3 is the only one you didn't peg the pyro on. What's the difference between 3 and 6...a lot?

...and what is that light underneath your odometer?
Old 09-22-2008, 09:39 PM

Madhat,

Watch your edge#6 video......The RP gauge is hard to see, but I'm pretty sure you need more CP3(pressure needs to be above 23k for max power)....See what I mean about the Flux 2.5's being pretty big!

The top Edge programs are nasty.
Get the Smarty....You can thank us later!
Old 09-22-2008, 09:48 PM
madhat's monkey boy...

Thats the 4WD light.

He is going to get a Smarty. He will be the biggest SAC of all time then.... officially. I knew it for a while but now it will be public knowledge.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by matego
Thats the 4WD light.

He is going to get a Smarty. He will be the biggest SAC of all time then.... officially. I knew it for a while but now it will be public knowledge.
When did they stop puttin' there?

Mine is in a different place...
Old 09-22-2008, 11:10 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mark, I know your EGTs are high - what about the drive pressure - any idea? I've seen a silver 66 grenade from NO2 - really have to be careful of overspeeding the turbo.

HTT's SS housings have a nice dual-port internal WG, but they leave a lot on the table - if you plan to keep that turbo (even as a secondary) and want to lean on it hard, PM me or give me a call and I'll give you a few tips...
Old 09-23-2008, 07:01 AM

Mark,
That Speedo video ...what did you have the Edge set to? your edge was screaming warnings at you before you hit 50mph. Not cool at all.
Old 09-23-2008, 08:30 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

before you mute me...it looks level 3 is the only one you didn't peg the pyro on. What's the difference between 3 and 6...a lot?

No muting... unless you push my madhat button!! Just kiddin...
6 comes on a lot harder. I think it's a waste, tho. Too much fuel at once.
Originally Posted by Snapoff
Madhat,

Watch your edge#6 video......The RP gauge is hard to see, but I'm pretty sure you need more CP3(pressure needs to be above 23k for max power)....See what I mean about the Flux 2.5's being pretty big!

The top Edge programs are nasty.
Get the Smarty....You can thank us later!
Yeah, I made that comment somewhere else earlier... I think I saw 12k at WOT one time...
When did they stop puttin' there?

Mine is in a different place...
?? I dunno... probably on the 06's.

Originally Posted by XLR8R
Mark, I know your EGTs are high - what about the drive pressure - any idea? I've seen a silver 66 grenade from NO2 - really have to be careful of overspeeding the turbo.

HTT's SS housings have a nice dual-port internal WG, but they leave a lot on the table - if you plan to keep that turbo (even as a secondary) and want to lean on it hard, PM me or give me a call and I'll give you a few tips...
Yeah, I'm not going nos. I was told to use my current turbo as a top turbo... wow, would that be a big set of twins, or what? I know, I still need to get a TIP guage from you... It will be a while. Probably this time next year, I go to Japan in january...

Originally Posted by rogers259
Mark,
That Speedo video ...what did you have the Edge set to? your edge was screaming warnings at you before you hit 50mph. Not cool at all.
It was on 6... Yep... I don't know if that was the boost alarm, probably the EGT alarm... I have it set at 1350 to go off.

I know I must have seen 1600* last night... I gotta lay off that heat.
Old 09-23-2008, 08:40 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Its hard to tell from the videos but what were your 0 to 60 or 1/8 mile times while you were making the runs?
Old 09-23-2008, 08:48 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

I dunno... the track was not running times or lights... Hold on, I'll time the 0-60...
Old 09-23-2008, 08:49 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

From my calculations... 0-60 was 5.58...