3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

I borrowed my buddy's 20” x10” Helo Maxx 8 Wheels/w 35" MT's, check it out!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2006, 02:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry to pop your baloon, not my intention.

I'd personally run no more than an 18"x9" rim and as much rubber as you could fit if your truck is 4x4. With the proper offset you could easily fit 35's! No lift.

Rick
Old 11-19-2006, 02:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks like you turned it into a Duramax!

Pickup truck alchemy!
Old 11-19-2006, 02:27 AM

now this is my opinion....

anything smaller then 20" wheels= CRAZY SIDEWALL FLEX WHILE TOWING!!!!!!!!
I use my truck to tow my 4 wheel drive people who buy CTD to go rock-crawling are crazy!!

18" wheels with 315's= sucks for towing

I'm glad you like 18's but don't call my truck a mall cruiser just because it has big wheels.
Big wheels have plenty of function for how I work my truck and that's towing not rock crawling!

good night
Old 11-19-2006, 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by PourinDiesel
Looks like you turned it into a Duramax!

Pickup truck alchemy!

????????????????
Old 11-19-2006, 02:36 AM

Wow!!

That guy takes his 1-ton truck rock crawling??? I got see some pics of that

I think it looks fine. I agree totally with the sidewall flex issue. Too much rubber with lots of weight sucks!

If you had some extended control arms to put your wheels back on center I think you would fine.
Old 11-19-2006, 02:42 AM

Up to you, personally I really hate the big wheel, low profile tire look like that. I'd use 18's and with the right off-set you wouldn't have the rubbing problems. Might not rub in your driveway in front of the tire but off-roading it will for sure. I wouldn't put anything on my truck where I had to trim openings of my pricey investment.
I agree with the mall thing, looks too disco to me!
Old 11-19-2006, 06:11 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by runamuk
Sorry to pop your baloon, not my intention.

I'd personally run no more than an 18"x9" rim and as much rubber as you could fit if your truck is 4x4. With the proper offset you could easily fit 35's! No lift.

Rick
Yeah I ran my 18" Eagle alloy's with 35" Toyo MT's WITH NO LIFT for 6 months until I had enough money saved up for my 4.5" lift.

Pics of 35's w/o a lift

Originally Posted by 53 ******
now this is my opinion....

anything smaller then 20" wheels= CRAZY SIDEWALL FLEX WHILE TOWING!!!!!!!!
I use my truck to tow my 4 wheel drive people who buy CTD to go rock-crawling are crazy!!

18" wheels with 315's= sucks for towing

I'm glad you like 18's but don't call my truck a mall cruiser just because it has big wheels.
Big wheels have plenty of function for how I work my truck and that's towing not rock crawling!

good night
I tow with 35's on 18's and have never experienced the CRAZY SIDEWALL FLEX like you said. I think 35" Tomo MT is the perfect tire for 19" rim. Heck H@ come with 315's on 17" and I dont think they would sell a 3/4 ton rig that was unsafe and had CRAZY FLEX. I dont think 35's on 20's look as good as you think. But hey these are just opions

Oh hey this was your post. Yeah you should have no problem fitting some 35's as long as you get the approiate size rims. My 18" Eagle Alloy 114 fit great and I had no rubbing on my 35" Toyo's w/ and w/o a lift.

Cmon guys, these trucks need some Rubber around a huge rim like that!! They would never last more than 20 minutes of my rock crawling/ daily driving

Those wheels and tires look great if you are a mall runner, but if you work your truck I'd rather have some 22's and low profiles and turn my truck into a 4x4 Street only vehicle.

Just not gonna happen!!

I have to work out of my truck! It is not a show piece it's a go piece and those rims and tires would not make it a week where I go!!

Rick
you need start to re-thinging what you said or stick around here and see what us and our Mall crawler 18" rims can do Dude I beat the heck out of my rig. Yeah I got 18" rims which is now a factory rim option and I wrapped some kick "rear" rubber around them. The Toyo MT ainto no sissy tire. Us guys are shelling out big $$$ to get these awesome tires. Lots and I mean Lots of use work out truck hard off road. You know there is a very large space that falls between Mall Crawling and Rock Crawling. You dodnt have to go to extreemes and say we can Rock Crawl. Alot of these trucks are used to tow our rockcrawlers like me personally and would be stupid and try and do that. Thats why be build hardcore rigs with 60's and 42's. A lot of our trucks that have 18's and 35's or greater do soem damm impressive wheeling have it be flying through the desert and hitting jumps and woops, I freaking air my Toyo's down to 12psi and load the bed halfway up the rail with snow and go out and wheel in the suno around where I live...Tons of rigs up there, I even keep up with my buddies rock crawlers on snow runs. Since my truck is lifted 4.5" and had 35" Toyo's and 6speed manual in low first is quite the crawler. I can jump out of it and watch it idle up some obsticales, its quite a beast...

And it can tow like a dream and do freeway runs past 100mph (at the track of course) pretty smoothely. I live in the Sierra's and see lots of snow and need a rig that had 35's and good 4wd as probably 40% of other members here. This aint no sissy site and lots of us work out trucks but still take care of them and want them to look nice and still perform. I drive this rig everywhere and it still shine's up nice. I dont regreat anything ive put on my truck. Everything works perfect on it and I believe 4.5" lift and 35" on 18 is the best way to go if you still want your truck to be able to have the driveability of a stock rig but the capeabilities of a off roader and hard working diesel.

Here's a pic of my rig which is FAR from being a MALL CRAWLER. heck its even has some HP Bombs and will give lots of trucks a good run. I even dynoed it on a dyno which was giving lower then normal numbers and still got 418hp and 820 on a slipping clutch and that was going WOT late in he rpm at 1900rpm to avoid massive slippage.

My swiss army knife of a truck.
P.S Its 4am and I was out all night watching the fight and partying and beat everybody at poker and won the $100 pot..... So hope I dont sound stoopid

Night night
Old 11-19-2006, 06:20 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Luken

If I had a Megacab, the FIRST thing I would do is lift it 6 inches, get big wheels(20's or 22's) and get 37's...

I need a mega SOOOOO bad!!!

Looks great 53!

Yeah Luken you definetly to step it up and start flossin like a G. A 6" lifted MC with some 37"s on 20's or 40's on 22's like what his name???? would be the %^^%* I've posted it before ...he was on the cover of Diesel Power siler qc LB....

Its time you said good by to the... what did you call it... the most HP on a solor yellow 05 and start out with the best of the best...last year of the 5.9 Mega cab....... Haha I sound like a salesman..... Who knows maybe the 6.7's will be cool but im not cool with having to pass smpg every 2 years
Old 11-19-2006, 06:27 AM
Winner winner chicken dinner!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Bottom line I dont care what you do with your truck, ****** 53 dont give those rims back!!!!! Truck looks awesome, and BigDan so does yours... I wish sometimes I would have got a SRW, your trucks look awesome... Now what to do with a dually?
Old 11-19-2006, 06:48 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by RyeThomas
Bottom line I dont care what you do with your truck, ****** 53 dont give those rims back!!!!! Truck looks awesome, and BigDan so does yours... I wish sometimes I would have got a SRW, your trucks look awesome... Now what to do with a dually?

Dude there only one option for your Dulley and that go all out with nothing less then 22.5's. If I had a dulley I wouldnt care about performance until I got some 22.5 on there. Come wan the factory only gives you what tiny 17's. 22.5's will turn your truck into an all out jaw dropping rig. Seriously, you'll never regreat especially since thhe tires will out last your truck...
Old 11-19-2006, 07:12 AM

How much would a setup like that cost?
Old 11-19-2006, 10:00 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Pull U 2
I pull a 13k enclosed trailer(pull trailer) with 37's on 18" wheels and it tows great. Crazy sidewall flex is never an issue.

I agree. I have a 6" lift with 20's rims and 37" toyo MT's. I built my truck to have agreeable horsepower for the amount of work it gets. My truck has 20's and is far from a mall Queen. I work it a@@ off! I have had it for just over a year now and have 52,000 mile on it, I go through 500 gallons of fuel a month and have been through 3 sets of tires now,! although my toyo's have far outlasted the first two by double!!

I don't rock crawl with my truck but if you seen where I have taken in while hunting you would cry! My best-friend couldn't believe it when he saw my truck out on a ridge with my four-wheeler trailer in tow!!

I tow a 29' enclosed interstate snow sport trailer for work and I have had no issues with sidewall flex or any of that. The only problem I had with a tire is when I ran an elk horn over that was laying in the road and it punched a .50 cent size hole in the side of my tire!! That sucked because they couldn't repair the hole and $431 later I had a new toyo mt!! I have pulled numerous nails out of my tires and never had a flat from them. The only flat I had was from a screwdriver that was impailed clear through the tire and the horn.

53willys - Darm good looking truck. For some reason I woke up last night and was wanting a mega-cab! Your not helping the situation. I just have too much invested in my truck to say goodbye! But get new rims and tires!! I love your truck!! My next mega-will have a leveling kit and 35's!!

P.s I love the snowy mountains in the background!!!
Old 11-19-2006, 10:04 AM
Banned

Cmon guys, these trucks need some Rubber around a huge rim like that!! They would never last more than 20 minutes of my rock crawling/ daily driving

Those wheels and tires look great if you are a mall runner, but if you work your truck I'd rather have some 22's and low profiles and turn my truck into a 4x4 Street only vehicle.

Just not gonna happen!!

I have to work out of my truck! It is not a show piece it's a go piece and those rims and tires would not make it a week where I go!!

Rick
Wow Rick, what a post there.

How about this...your joke of a "rock crawler" wouldn't last 30 seconds where any halfway decent rock crawler goes! To say you rock crawl in one of these trucks just proves you have no idea what rock crawling really is.

These are 8000lb work trucks/tow rigs with super stiff suspensions that just don't do well on the rocks. My Toyota buggy with 37's weighs 3000lbs and will go places you couldn't even approach in your CTD. Come on out to Utah and we'll show you what REAL rock crawling is all about. Just don't bring your CTD and expect to have any fun or make it anywhere!

As far as those pics, thanks for posting them *****'s. I was sure 35's and 20's would look killer and you proved it! Now, how much does a good set of 20's rated for high payloads go for?
Old 11-19-2006, 10:11 AM

good times in this post.

i to am not a fan of the 20s with 35s yet. could be that I dont have them, who knows.

If you like em get em, it is what ever you like.

You can see some pics in my gallery of some lower fender triming I did for my 37s with a 3" lift. Not s big deal and no one knows I did it unless I tell them.

Quick Reply: I borrowed my buddy's 20” x10” Helo Maxx 8 Wheels/w 35" MT's, check it out!!