3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

I backed up into another car and WRECKED it

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 11:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by annabelle
Why put anything down there to hit another car in case of an accident?.......Just remove the receiver.......Nice fab work though.
I was thinking the same thing...
Old 04-16-2010, 11:33 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
i run a three way ball hitch from Northern Tool

it helps A LOT with tailgaters.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...ct_54270_54270

you can face the ball down, and put some Non-slip on the back, so wifey can reach over the tailgate.

a back up camera is a must have to see little vehicles, kidlets, and animals of varying pedigree (in case you WANT to run over some of them)
Old 04-18-2010, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by icrider
I was backing up to pull out of a parallel parking space and somehow hit the car behind me.

My hitch destroyed the front of this car.

I fabricated this to stop that from being as issue. What do you all think?

Icrider, looks nice... I know you have good intentions, but hitting a car is "hitting a car". It doesn't matter how hard or soft you do it, you are liable and leaving the scene without contacting the owner or leaving contact information is considered a "hit and run" in my state and you can loose your liscense. If I saw some one bump my car and take off, I would do everything in my power to get the plate # and call 911 and report a hit and run. I have left notes on cars before with liscense plate numbers of cars that have bumped into them on parking lots and taken off. I can only hope someone does the same if it happens to me.

Like others have said, work on parking skills, or get a back up camera for assistance.

Great idea, nice work, but don't forget the responsibility you have when it comes to saftey and others property.
Old 04-18-2010, 10:36 PM

I'm just in complete shock and awe. I can't believe that you think this is the solution to the problem - baffled...absulotely baffled.....
Old 04-19-2010, 12:48 AM

Asher,

In no way did I mention whether or not I left a note or not. I'm bummed that you would assume the negative.

I left a note and the owner contacted me.

As far as driving goes I would say it's a safe bet that I parallel park more frequently than most due to living in a city. In the hundreds of times I've done it I hit someone only once.

removing the receiver - that's a p.i.t.a. idea. I own a pick up truck because I tow things, and that requires a receiver. Taking it on and off, really??

What about someone who may bump into the back of YOU when you are parked. They would sure be happy to hit that bumper instead of your hitch. If one person saves the front of their car b'c of this it was worth my time for fabrication and the cost of parts.
Old 04-19-2010, 05:16 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What is the difference of changing out the receiver you made with a ball receiver every time you want to tow?......p.i.t.a..........yes, your fab.idea is silly. You do own a pickup........treat it like one. Leave the original receiver in and get a backup camera.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:00 AM
There is no G. There is no G. Repeat after me, THERE IS NO G!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Asher,

In no way did I mention whether or not I left a note or not. I'm bummed that you would assume the negative.

As far as driving goes I would say it's a safe bet that I parallel park more frequently than most due to living in a city. In the hundreds of times I've done it I hit someone only once.

removing the receiver - that's a p.i.t.a. idea. I own a pick up truck because I tow things, and that requires a receiver. Taking it on and off, really??

What about someone who may bump into the back of YOU when you are parked. They would sure be happy to hit that bumper instead of your hitch. If one person saves the front of their car b'c of this it was worth my time for fabrication and the cost of parts.

Do you tow with that bumper pad? I'm betting not.

If you hit a car, you hit a car, leave a note. You said you do that anyway. One less thing to worry about and carry around, leave the bumper pad at home. Keep the hitch and pin under the seat or tool box when not in use and doesn't have a lock (people steal around here >: ).
Old 04-19-2010, 06:52 PM

ahhh...by take out the receiver I thought you meant to unbolt the entire hitch.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:10 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No......sorry not the receiver.(my bad).......the 2x2 tubing you slide into the receiver(coupler), or what ever the heck you call it.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:23 PM

Asher,

Icrider, don't be bummed... My comment wasn't directed at you and this mishap... It was just stating in general that even with this pad in place, if you make contact with another car you have caused a legal and moral issue even if you replaced the black rubber pad with a big fluffy pillow, contact is contact and you now have to be responsible and do the right thing; it doesn't matter if it's you or whoever that is driving whatever...

Well you really didn't fix this issue at all, actually you doubled your task..

Honestly I could care less what someone does to thier car if they hit mine, I am only concerned about the damage to my vehicle and that big ugly 2 5/8 ball on the back usually makes them pay alittle more attention and focus on thier efforts instead of seeing a nice cousion to bump against (target to hit)...

It's a free country (at least for a short period longer), if your happy with it then that's all that matters... Use it with a smile on your face, but remember others have the right to not see the need also... I commend you for trying to find a solution to your problem, hopefully it works the way you intended instead of rewarding lax driving skills (be it yours or the guy that is pulling in behind you)....