3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Hypertech?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2004, 09:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hypertech?

I was at the dealer getting my oil changed and decided to check out the parts department to see what hop ups they allow. The guy point to the hypertech programer. Has anyone tried one? Are they worth it? He told me about $450. I'm sure I can beat the dealer but I'm sure it's going to be close to a Edge EZ. He said it won't void my warranty. I go to the web and it only lists the gassers.
Old 08-19-2004, 10:51 PM

Man where do these dealer parts guys get their training!?! When I asked my dealer's parts manager about what kind of chip or tuner would not void the warranty, he told me "only Superchips tuner is "approved" by DC! Stopped by a week later and asked one of the deisel techs the same question and what about the Superchips and he said, "No way!" They all raise a little red flag. If you have a turbo, transmission, engine, etc., or almost any other problem, the dealer is going to try to point to your aftermarket mods as the culprit. I want a little more performance than I'm getting from my air filter and exhaust, but I don't want to risk a fight over the warranty. Good luck finding something - I'm still looking!
Old 08-19-2004, 10:59 PM

There was one time when I was called by the customer satisfaction person and ended up talking to the service manager. I told him I did not like the fact that the service guy said he would void my warranty if I added the box. The manager goes into how they all know what's up and that's the standard answer. He said to take the box off when it comes in for service. He also addressed the problem of breaking down out on the road and having someone else void the warranty. He sounded like someone on this list. It was interesting to hear it from the dealer. I appologized in my head to all those that say to do this. It made it more of a game than a fraud. What was the # to tst again?
Old 08-20-2004, 12:03 AM

I had a hypertec on my gasser 5.7 and it was junk. Btw didn't even know they made one for the cummins.
Old 08-20-2004, 12:24 AM

that's the point. I'm not sure they do. I thought the add at the dealer listed one but the site does not list one.
Old 08-20-2004, 04:20 AM

Summit Racing was listing it in their catalog for the Cummins but it was bogus. I contacted Hypertech and they were working on a programmer for the 2nd gen Cummins but they were not even close to going to production. This was about a year ago. As far as power, gassers never get the gains that the diesels do. The Hypertechs out there for Fords and Chevys give big gains just like all the other boxes...
Old 08-20-2004, 11:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You can see from my sig that I had a Hypertech Power Programmer III on my Ford. It was decent. It actually reprogrammed the ECM and was disconnected afterward (as opposed to a module that stays in the truck). During the programming process, the stock program is stored in the programmer module and can be restored to the ECM whenever wanted (like going to the dealer for service).

This particular model was a very mild enhancement (along the lines of the VA pressure box for the CTD) that also (optionally) increased the line pressure to the tranny providing firmer shifts. That was a nice feature as the 4R100 is pretty slushy without some help. I don't think they have anything like that for the Dodge.

FWIW, it is not highly regarded on the dieselstop forums as compared to other products in its class. But, my general experience was pretty positive. That is, except one time I tried to unload the program to take it to the dealer and one of the keys on the programmer was broken. I had to send it back to Hypertech and they rebuilt the unit without killing my stock program - I was on pins and needles with that one.

Neil
Old 08-20-2004, 01:02 PM

At the parts counter at my dealer they have 3-ring binder with dyno printouts for the hemi, cummins, and viper. They show the cummins with and without the Edge box and many other tests. I said well the edge will void the warranty and they said to take it off before you come infor service. But, you know how that goes...

Pete