3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Hummer H2 and 315s installed

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2006, 06:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hummer H2 and 315s installed

Thanks to all the helpful information on this forum I now have 315 BGF KOs along with Hummer H2 wheels installed.

Thanks to the poster who recommended using a router and trim bit to open up the center hole. What an easy an inexpensive way (if you already have a 1HP or better router), and its even easier with the tires mounted. I bought a 1/2 in frued carbide bearing flush trim bit for $14, set up the router such that the bearing was catching a bit of the wheel, flipped the wheel/tire over, good side down, and slowly trimmed around the hole clockwise. Five minutes later all four wheels were done. This is no sweat for anyone that's used a router, and I now have a nice stack of aluminum tinsel for holiday decorating. The router bit showed no sign of wear. The hole is just a knat's eyelash smaller than the OEM wheels and has a smooth enough finish.

The hardest part of the job was the dozen-sledge hammer swings need to break each rear wheel away from the hub. Truck is only 6 months old and I was surprised how seized up the rears were.

The KOs are much noisier than the OEM rugged trails. Without fender flares they sick out a little beyond the rear fender. On the road I can tell it’s definately a bigger tire under there and 2100 rpm is now 72 instead of 65 (according to my gps).
Old 12-02-2006, 06:20 PM

Nice, got pics?
Scott
Old 12-02-2006, 09:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Worthless with out pics!
Old 12-03-2006, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by subspd
Worthless with out pics!
Did not take the time to take pics or wash the truck, had to get high schooler to a party and then team practice, then it was family movie night.

There must be hundreds of hummer H2/315 on a RAM pics posted already. I didn't think it was necessary or even worthwhile to show another. Maybe I can pull a wheel and take a pic of the center hole after routing, if anyone thinks that would be useful.
Old 12-03-2006, 11:37 AM

pics please

joe
Old 12-03-2006, 01:41 PM

I agree with ColdCase.... there are plenty of H2 tire/wheels pics here and elsewhere. Unless he did something special, the truck isn't going to look any different!
Old 12-03-2006, 03:01 PM

is there a benefit to H2 rims other than cosmetics?? my buddy has a rim/detail shop and has stacks of em i can get cheap, but havn't seen a benefit other than a new look?
Old 12-03-2006, 03:18 PM

The backspacing is slightly lower so they stick out more, and I believe they are 1/2" wider. It keeps the tires from rubbing on a stock truck.
Old 12-03-2006, 07:30 PM

I'm getting ready to put on my second set. Got about 45K out of the first ones. I like the router idea. I did both of my sets a couple of years ago with a hole saw. Worked OK but had to sand it smooth.
Old 12-03-2006, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by SRTchris
is there a benefit to H2 rims other than cosmetics?? my buddy has a rim/detail shop and has stacks of em i can get cheap, but havn't seen a benefit other than a new look?
I'm not sure the H2 cosmetics are a benefit. They look OK but the real benifit is that they allow 315s tires to be installed without interference and without any other mods and they are cheap and readily available used. About $500 for four chrome wheels and almost new 315 BFG KOs is not bad, IMHO. I think 285s are the largest tires you can put on the stock wheels without interference.

I've heard, the wheels are pretty stong and durable, and the BFG KOs are a pretty good winter tire. For towing heavy I suspect the taller and softer sidewall may not do well.
Old 12-03-2006, 09:53 PM

Congrats on the new wheels and tires ColdCase. I run the same combo and absolutely love 'em. My truck is 2-tone with the silver rockers, the aluminums have the same silver powdercoat as the rockers, so it's a nice match and is complimentary. I have a second set of the chrome H2's that I plan to mount a set of more summer rated tires on - TOYO AT's. The H2 rims, both the chrome and aluminum, are weight rated in the same range as our stock steel wheels. I have used the BFG's exclusively on one of my other trucks, they tow heavy just fine as long as you air them up to the sidewall recommendation - 50#'s. They are an outstanding winter tire as well. I lived in PA prior to my recent move to NM, lots of lake effect deep snows, never had a problem. I have trucked around and past a lot of other p/u's stuck or traveling much slower with other brands of supposedly good winter tires. I have also gotten excellent mileage out of them. Again, the best tire I have ever used for multi-purpose driving.

Your 2006 truck would have/should have had clearance with them on the stock wheels. Lots of them out there on the stocks. The only problem that some have reported is that they seem to wear out in the centers faster. Some have suggested it is due to the slightly narrower wheel, could be. I would propose it also might be due to some running a lower air pressure than is recommended.

In any event, enjoy your ride and your new wheels and tires.

CD
Old 12-04-2006, 10:29 AM

Actually, running a higher air pressure will wear out the center.

Coldcase, is your suspension stock? Any rubbing problems? I really liked your change in speed at 2100 RPM. I am looking foreward to slowing down the engine on the highway.
Old 12-04-2006, 04:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry bout that... jeesh… I just figure I see a post with H2 rims and 315’s and there would be some pictures. We have talked about it enough… nice rim allows larger size blah, blah… Sorry but I enjoy looking at pics of nicely set up rigs. And besides DWiggs rig there really aren’t that many pics on the boards. True there are some pics out there but not that many. The truth is I wouldn’t make a post that said new headlights installed and then not put at least one picture of them. Sure there are pictures out there and sure they probably look similar but why bother. Sorry to have upset you it was not my intent. I am sure the wheels look good.
Old 12-04-2006, 06:55 PM
BR1

i'd like to see the pics too. i realize what they are, but i'm debating this setup, and the more pics i see, will help me to decide if i like them and want to do it.
Old 12-04-2006, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Cowboy 6
Actually, running a higher air pressure will wear out the center.

Coldcase, is your suspension stock? Any rubbing problems?
Stock suspension, been through some full lock parking lot turns and off camber off road turns with no sign of any rubbing. MPG running at 65mph appears to be about the same when factoring additional tire diameter, roughly 19 mpg.

Pics will have to wait till the weekend, just not enough daylight. Sorry

Quick Reply: Hummer H2 and 315s installed