3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Huge Problem Got Curious And Lost Parts

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 04:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Huge Problem Got Curious And Lost Parts

ok here is my problem i took aprt an injector to see how it worked, well i took the top of the injector off were you connect the two wires and under it are a couple round disk and a spring and THIS LITTLE PEICE OF BRASS IN THE SHAPE OF A HAT WITH A VERY SMALL STEEL BALL THAT FITS INSIDE IT. well i didn't see the ball at first because it was all kinda stuck together when i pulled apart, but i did see it when it fell bounced off of the work table and onto the floor. looked for it for ever but if you have seen these parts they are very very small and i can't find it!!! so i really need someone who knows were i may find a replacement or something i can put in its place. i think it is the plunger that actually opens the injector so there might be a way to use something else that fills that void? any help would be great

eric
Old 09-21-2006, 05:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Didn't your mother ever tell you not to touch it or you will go blind. So stop touching things. I see you didn't listen to your mom since you can't find the missing part. But my advice to you is. Get on your hands and knee's with a GOOD flashlight. That always seems to help me. It's amazing thing you can find with a bright light
Old 09-21-2006, 05:07 PM

dont you have a junk yard close by that you can just go pull stuff apart to see how it works instead of your 30k dollar truck?? cuss at it, that always seems to help me fix things
Old 09-21-2006, 05:21 PM

call Ross at DDP. I bet they can put it back together for you. they must have parts for em.
Old 09-21-2006, 05:27 PM
wap

Go blind, thats hilarious
Old 09-21-2006, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by twistingawrench
dont you have a junk yard close by that you can just go pull stuff apart to see how it works instead of your 30k dollar truck?? cuss at it, that always seems to help me fix things
Thats a very good point
Old 09-21-2006, 05:42 PM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Not sure what else you have on the floor, but I did something similar a while back. Lost a very small metal piece that was VERY important. I used some magnets and drug them around for a while. Found what I needed along with lots of stuff I didn't!! It's amazing how many little metal shavings can still be on the floor when you THOUGHT you cleaned up real good.
Old 09-21-2006, 09:13 PM

I could be wrong and probably am. But isn't the part brass? Will magnets pick up brass?
Old 09-21-2006, 09:44 PM

Thats happened to me a lot of times, go to Harbor freight for about 5 bucks you can get a 4'' diameter magnet on a telescopic handle i use it all the time just yesterday i lost the screw out of my glasses in the carpet found it with this thing.
Old 09-22-2006, 09:13 AM

I once lost a small nylon ball out of the safety on a 600 Remington. Looked and looked in the carpet, no luck. I got out the vacuum cleaner and put in a new bag. I Went all over the area I thought it might be, cut the bag open, and there it was. I have been taking stuff apart and losing thing since I cas a kid. I am pretty good at fixing things now. Good luck.
Old 09-22-2006, 09:37 AM

This story reminds me of when I was a poor starving college kid. This won't work on your injector because of the pressure involved, but one night I was re-building a carbeurator with a flashlight in the driveway. It was cold and my fingers were almost numb. One of the little check ***** got away from me. I heard it bounce down the motor and off the skid plate. I crawled around on the driveway for an hour with the flashlight. Never did find it. My neighbor was the head mechanic at the Harley shop in town. He took pity on me and came out to see what I was doing. He asked if I had any tin-foil in the house. I got it and he tore off a small piece and rolled it up in a real tight ball. I said that looked about the right size so we dropped it in the carb. Ran great. Still in the carb when I traded the Toyota off 3 years later.
Old 09-22-2006, 05:18 PM

ya big dave it looked like it was brass to me.
and i called ddp and asked for ross they said he was on vacation, so i talked to someone else who knew exactly what i was talking about but seem to not want to sell me one or maybe didn't know were to get one from. he just kept sayin call dodge and see what they can do, which all they can do is sell a complete unit for 480.00 which i would do but they have to special order so then that makes it nonreturnable
Old 09-22-2006, 07:15 PM
tdm

Well..... there's always plan B.... Take apart another injector (without losing the small part), get the ball out and mic it. Start calling around till you find one the right size. I can't imagine that it would be some kind of custom size. Manufacturers tend to design around existing parts. It's cheaper than doing it right

One place to look for all those hard to find things is www.smallparts.com, they have never failed me!
Old 09-22-2006, 07:43 PM

i have already took one apart to make sure i know what i am looking for and were it is going to go. and if i had totake a guess at it i would say i could make on with a lathe and a piece of round stock around the same diameter it looks more like the thickness is what is the important part to allow full flow of fuel and to allow it to fully close too. but of course the easiest thing would be if someone on here knew were a broke or bad injector may be that i could rob parts from?
Old 09-25-2006, 04:26 PM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
This may not be an option but here it is.

Try calling the dealer, or better yet, go to the dealer and ask to talk to one of the Diesel techs and see if they have any bad ones that they kept from warranty work. I know when I was a tech many years ago I would keep all kinds of stuff just to possibly help myself down the road. This would be one of those situations. Might be worth a try at least.

Quick Reply: Huge Problem Got Curious And Lost Parts