3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

HTT 71 stainless or Silver 62?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 10:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HTT 71 stainless or Silver 62?

I've been searching and reading all day/night since I figured out that my stock turbo is hopeless. I'm running a 2003 HO, 6-speed tranny, with a quad race and BD tripledog with Crazy Larry (weaker than 04.5+ CL, however). I never plan on doing twins in the future, but I am thinking cam and injectors in the spring and I might try a TST. I tow occasionally and drive 130+ miles a day on the highway for work. What turbo should I get? I think I should get either the II Silver 62 or one of the HTT 71's, like a 62/71/13 stainless. Any suggestions? Comments? Experiences? Other turbo suggestions? This is my first turbo purchase and I need to get it asap because my stocker is nasty....

Thanks!
Andy
Old 12-11-2007, 10:24 AM

Either would be good turbos. The Silver is a little larger, it has 62/74/14, but they should be very similar. Im extremely happy with my silver series turbo!
Old 12-11-2007, 10:25 AM

Lloyd Mills has an HTT 62/71/13 for sale in the classifieds right now. He's one of a handful of guys I'd buy a used turbo from. And that'd be a great turbo for your setup. If I had the money it would already be sold.
Old 12-11-2007, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by ptgarcia
Lloyd Mills has an HTT 62/71/13 for sale in the classifieds right now. He's one of a handful of guys I'd buy a used turbo from. And that'd be a great turbo for your setup. If I had the money it would already be sold.
I'm working that angle right now

Andy
Old 12-11-2007, 10:53 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
With your 6-speed, maybe a 64 would be better?

Certainly shouldn't be a problem to "drive around" compared to an auto...
Old 12-11-2007, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by XLR8R
With your 6-speed, maybe a 64 would be better?

Certainly shouldn't be a problem to "drive around" compared to an auto...
I'm about to call HTT and see what they say about that...

Andy
Old 12-11-2007, 12:44 PM

The Silvers are sweet turbos. You could easily run a Silver 64 without problems. I love the 74mm wheel. Some might think it's a touch overkill for a 62mm compressor, but this turbo does a great job of cooling and keeping the drive pressures low.

The HTT's are great turbos too, and I think they have ironed the problems out of their stainless turbos. I don't think it will be long before they bring a out a "Silver Bullet" of their own with a stainless exhaust housing.
Old 12-11-2007, 12:58 PM

HTT or II

Originally Posted by realsquash
I've been searching and reading all day/night since I figured out that my stock turbo is hopeless. I'm running a 2003 HO, 6-speed tranny, with a quad race and BD tripledog with Crazy Larry (weaker than 04.5+ CL, however). I never plan on doing twins in the future, but I am thinking cam and injectors in the spring and I might try a TST. I tow occasionally and drive 130+ miles a day on the highway for work. What turbo should I get? I think I should get either the II Silver 62 or one of the HTT 71's, like a 62/71/13 stainless. Any suggestions? Comments? Experiences? Other turbo suggestions? This is my first turbo purchase and I need to get it asap because my stocker is nasty....

Thanks!
Andy
If I were you I'd write down every mod you have and even those you anticipate in the near future and then call both of those companies and go over them and tell them how you intend to use the truck and let THEM TELL YOU which turbo. Everybody is a turbo expert,.. right,... let the experts tell you what you need for your application. I know at least on the HTT side that for a fixed amt if you added a lot of mods that they would mod your turbo to fit that application in the future,... I don't know if II does that. You can't go wrong with either one except for ordering the wrong thing,.. of course. My $.02
Old 12-11-2007, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by OT-OF-Here
If I were you I'd write down every mod you have and even those you anticipate in the near future and then call both of those companies and go over them and tell them how you intend to use the truck and let THEM TELL YOU which turbo. Everybody is a turbo expert,.. right,... let the experts tell you what you need for your application. I know at least on the HTT side that for a fixed amt if you added a lot of mods that they would mod your turbo to fit that application in the future,... I don't know if II does that. You can't go wrong with either one except for ordering the wrong thing,.. of course. My $.02
Just be careful! Don't let them talk you into something too big.

Back when the Super Phat Shafts came out, I was sold a 66. After much frustration, and eventually the purchase of a SPS62 I learned to trust my feelings. It turned out that on my truck the 62 cooled better than my 66 because it spooled earlier and would stay ahead of the EGT's.

I say, go with the smaller turbo and upgrade if necessary. It's a lot less frustrating than having a big, laggy, smoky turbo that surges when you're towing.

I think as long as you stay with a 62 you'd be a winner with either II or HTT.
Old 12-11-2007, 04:08 PM

I have procured a HTT 62/65/13 stainless so I hope that does the trick. I guess that wasn't on my list of options but it sounds like it fits my needs. I was thinking a 71 was what I would go for but they talked me out of it (HTT direct).

Andy
Old 12-11-2007, 04:11 PM

Turbo selection

I have procured a HTT 62/65/13 stainless so I hope that does the trick. I guess that wasn't on my list of options but it sounds like it fits my needs. I was thinking a 71 was what I would go for but they talked me out of it (HTT direct).

Andy
That sounds like Dave that selected that turbo. Good choice and should spool like lightning.
Old 12-11-2007, 04:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Andy
Hopefully you get one of the good ones. Apparently they are having issues with the wastegate seating in the ss housings allowing constant boost leak. My dad has an htt ss and with the wastegate disabled it is still only making 40psi.
Old 12-11-2007, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by omaharam
Hopefully you get one of the good ones. Apparently they are having issues with the wastegate seating in the ss housings allowing constant boost leak. My dad has an htt ss and with the wastegate disabled it is still only making 40psi.
Is there any way I can bench test that or is it something that happens over time? Otherwise what's your opinion of it?

Andy
Old 12-11-2007, 04:28 PM

I think they have that problem fixed. I have an HTT 62/71/13 ss and it's great.
Old 12-11-2007, 04:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by staarma
I think they have that problem fixed. I have an HTT 62/71/13 ss and it's great.
I don't know that it's fixed, I think it's just a matter if the one you happen to get is ok or not. Dad's is only a couple months old.

Quick Reply: HTT 71 stainless or Silver 62?