3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

HTT 62/65-13ss ???

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 12:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
62/65/13ss HTT is a great little turbo very quick to spool 500 hp is no problem

I had a 62/65/14 HTT and did 511 hp / 975 and towed a 12000 lb trailer

the 62/65/14 was an excellent everyday driver street turbo its probably one of the best choices in lieu of twins for drive-ability ! I love the new ss housing & the polished housing looks tight !

the 62 is a great setup as a secondary turbo in a twin setup
my MPI 62/S480 combo starts making boost at 1500 rpms ....amazing combo for the street

with either 62 or 64 lots of options both can be great setup
and both can be great in twin set

I personally prefer quick spool light to light response
and I would choose quicker spooling usable HP over more top end peak hp and lag any day !
Old 01-29-2008, 08:32 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks alot for the info. Been talking to Lloyd Mills about it, I think I'll be going with the 64.
Old 01-29-2008, 08:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
rip 112, let us no how it works out.I'm still looking to go bigger myself.
My buddy ran a 64/13ss on an 00 2500 and it was slow as heck to spool.He had plenty of fuel but has an auto.I know its comparing apples to oranges but it has left me a bit concerned to try one on my truck.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by desertchecker
I personally prefer quick spool light to light response
and I would choose quicker spooling usable HP over more top end peak hp and lag any day !
I agree completely. It's fun to say you have the biggest, baddest turbo out there until you have to live with it. Don't buy into the hype. Listen to the guys that sell them, and read between the lines when guys post about the turbo they run.

A lot of guys (on this site and others) who give their opinion have only tried one turbo, and it's great to them. They also want to feel good about the $1500-$2000 they dropped. It's also hard to judge by type in black and white what "fast spooling" is.

Is it response from 0 psi to say, 12psi?

Or is fast spooling from 12psi to 60psi?

To me, a fast spooling turbo is one that will build boost right now! With my 66mm turbo I could mat the pedal and watch the boost creeeeeep to 12psi while blacking out the intersection, highway, whatever, and once it hit 12psi HANG ON! It would RIP to 60psi. Totally cool in some respects, sucked in others. I suppose with an auto it may be tolearable, but not enjoyable. It also surged while towing, heck, even with a couple of dirt bikes in the bed at 5k feet.

I later installed a 62mm turbo. It was pretty repsonsive. It would get to 5-7psi pretty quick, then build boost to about 45-50psi nearly as quick as the 66. It would come on much smoother, and loose less boost on shifts. No surging whatsoever.

On a dyno, peak torque moved from 2800-2900rpm down to 2200rpm, and peak hp to 2600. EGT's were actually lower, as boost could get ahead of the EGT's.

I would rather have a great, driveable turbo that gets a little warm from time to time than a turbo that's laggy, smoky and has a tendency to surge. I've been there. Not doing it again! (well, unless there's funds available for an '05 LWB six-speed puller in the budget)

For a daily driver, I'm going small, then to twins.

I learned my lesson. Last time I had to have the new hot turbo. Not this time. I'm getting the "right" turbo for my application.

The best thing to do would be for you to drive someone's truck with the turbo you're considering...
Old 01-29-2008, 10:30 AM

JCleary, you are also running an auto truck. I think I can honestly say that given the fueling combo he is running and the fact that it is a 6 speed,, spool up will not be a problem with what I recommended. You have to understand HTT knows there stuff, but they have not been able to test all the all the products that are on the market that affect the drivability of the motor. The smarty totally changes the drivability unlike any other product on the market
Old 01-29-2008, 10:43 AM

JCleary used to have a 6 speed so he's talking more about that I think.

I agree though with the 64. I could have went to the 64 fairly easily. My 62/71/13ss spools every bit as fast if not faster than stock. I have different mods to aid in the spooling though that others may or may not have. I tow my toy hauler at high altitudes and never experience any surge at all. I could get my stock turbo to surge though with my 5", intake and a little fuel. It wouldn't happen until about 7500 ft but it would do it under 2k every time. Huff, huff, huff sounded like an old pressure cooker. Now, set the cruise on 70 MPH (1950-2000 RPM) and it just sings right along no surging at all. This turbo spools from 0-12 PSI in about a 1.5 count and then from there you need to hold onto something. I think TQ management and pressure boxes plays a bigger role at spooling the lower end then most realize though especially up here at 4.5k altitude which is where my house is. JMO though after having run a couple different turbos on this truck.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by lmills
JCleary, you are also running an auto truck. I think I can honestly say that given the fueling combo he is running and the fact that it is a 6 speed,, spool up will not be a problem with what I recommended. You have to understand HTT knows there stuff, but they have not been able to test all the all the products that are on the market that affect the drivability of the motor. The smarty totally changes the drivability unlike any other product on the market
I guess I should have mentioned that my last truck was a 305/555 with a six-speed.

It sucks to loose boost on shifts, which was the case with the 66. The Smarty did help spooling a lot, but it also smoked a LOT.

You're right, spool up won't be a problem but it won't be near stock, either. My point is that a smaller quick-spooling turbo is more fun to drive.

The surge and lag of a big turbo can easily be driven around with a manual. I just wanted a turbo that I could drive, period.

With the 62-14 and Smarty/MP-8 stack my old truck felt like a Mustang GT. Much more fun than the 66.

I live in a really congested area, so quick response from idle is what I like. If I lived in a rural area, a bigger turbo I'm sure would have been fine.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:53 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
With the Smarty how do you set it up to reduce the lag? What Torque management do you use to help? Also, what Smarty software version? I am thinking of going the route of a Smarty in the future.....
Old 01-29-2008, 12:21 PM

I agree with the smaller turbo idea, the drive-ability & spooling is better in most cases then with bigger turbos, which generally offer , more lag, more heat, more smoke , until they finally hit enough boost.

if you did not tow much and your truck was a second vehicle and you were more of a hot rod - racer type that loves to replace clutches and broken parts and has plenty of money to do all of the above then I say go twins

I know that the exception here may be the fact that you are running a manual transmission a single 64 is still considered a big single charger
if you drive everyday and do some towing once in a while I believe you will be happier with the smaller charger a bit better mpg, less smoke, less heat at lower rpms & boost , less surging, much better everyday manners on the street

IMO you get the best of both worlds with twins maybe you should even consider talking to imills about a twin kit or give nathan a call at MPI he is also very sharp with twin setups

if you feel that you want to stick with a single turbo go with the 62 later if you think you need more, then upgrade for about 250.00 or so to the 64

IMO with single turbos its much better to error on the small side

on the street the negative benefits of a smaller turbo still out weigh the positive benefits of a big single turbo

however I do agree that the negatives will not be as bad as the same 64 turbo on an auto

its still a smart idea to error on the smaller side for the street ! 62 or twins
Old 01-29-2008, 07:07 PM

If I was wanting to pull 10-12k about 15-20 times a year and the rest is just daily driving, would a 64/71/13 be too big? I love my 62/12 but The top end is lacking.Would a 62/71/13 have more top end or not much difference? I want to go bigger but not lose my tow ability. I do not want twins at this point,just a little more top end. My 62/12 spikes well past what the wastegate is set at under WOT with everything turned up.
Old 01-29-2008, 08:11 PM

oh yeah ....

the 62/71/13ss would give you a nice shot in the arm for top end pull
without really giving up much anywhere else

that really would be a good combo for you

call dave at HTT see what he can do for you

I bet dave at HTT would be glad to take care of you with no problem at all
Old 01-29-2008, 08:33 PM

On stick truck I would do a 64 any time. I have owned one and I have towed heavy with it. In the past I towed the 16' Briamar dump trailer I used to have and I have and still do tow the 32' camper. EGT's and spool were not a problem when I ran the 64 as a single and I never had a problem with spool up even with all the electronics turned off. In fact, I liked the 64 charger enough that I used one in my twin set up. I still tow with it also. With the Smarty and a stick, he will not have a problem with spool up.
Old 01-29-2008, 08:54 PM

Looks like the 64 is the route to go for the most bang for the buck.
lmills, you are talking about the 64 with the 71 wheel correct?
Old 01-29-2008, 09:06 PM

the 65 mm exhaust wheel will spool slightly better on the bottom end than the 71mm. It all depends on how often you tow. If it is a couple times a year, i would consider the 71. If I tow at least 2-3 times a month, then I would consider the 65
Old 01-29-2008, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by lmills
the 65 mm exhaust wheel will spool slightly better on the bottom end than the 71mm. It all depends on how often you tow. If it is a couple times a year, i would consider the 71. If I tow at least 2-3 times a month, then I would consider the 65
Would I still have high drive pressures with the 65 wheel as I do now with my 62/65/12. I'm assuming thats why my boost shoots past the wastegated set point? Just want to make this the last turbo I buy for a while.

Quick Reply: HTT 62/65-13ss ???