3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

HTT 62/13ss review

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 02:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HTT 62/13ss review

Well got a few miles on the new turbo and this is what i like and dislike

likes...Makes nice smoth power (MORE), better mileage 1.5 to 2 @ 70mph automatic with 373's and 35" tires, less smoke on the top end, hits max bost very fast. Very little if any turbo lag.

Dislikes... doesnt really lower egt's from stock turbo, loud, heats up quicker and stays hot longer, smokes harder on the bottom end,

so what i have decided is to go with a 64/13 with a low pressure drive hopefully this will lower the egt's and not have too much turbo lag. Will report when it gets bolted on.
Old 06-23-2007, 02:42 PM

The 64 will be laggier and smoke more but it will lower EGT's but I can't see it being a huge difference...It lowers the EGT's because it has a bigger compressor wheel and flows more....this will take a little longer to spool up. ks
Old 06-23-2007, 02:45 PM

How's the turbo bark??
Old 06-23-2007, 02:47 PM

When you say it doesn't lower egts are you talking about cruise or wot?

Bob
Old 06-23-2007, 07:40 PM

Does'nt bark near as loud as stock, but still have to back out of it easy.

Egts were the same as stock accross the board. WIth the hot jucie turned up i could'nt make it 1/8 of a mile @ WOT without hitting 1450.

Any suggestions are welcome to lower the egt's and not loose to much spool up time, the 62 is the same as stock.
Old 06-23-2007, 08:07 PM

Your the only person I've ever heard that can bark a 9cm turbo. Your AFE must be plugged or your Hot Juice has zero timing. What is your max boost?

I'm running 75hp Flux injectors with Smarty on SW9 and I can't get it over 1350 and I'm not running out of fuel low or high and I'm on an 03 stock turbo at 40psi. Something is wrong with your set up .....People are stacking with a 62 and they can't get it above 1300. That turbo can support a good 550 hp and you don't have the fuel to get anywhere near that. Keep us posted but there is something wrong.... are you at 8000feet altitude or something like that. KS
Old 06-23-2007, 09:00 PM

Well, we have an 03 with hot juice as well and will be putting on a 64/71/13 stainless on monday, I'll let you know how it cools.
Old 06-23-2007, 09:08 PM
Banned

Just bought a 64-71-13ss yesterday. Very curius on it. But I think I made the wright decision. this snail is supposed to spool like the little One but cool/boost like the big one. Please post results
Old 06-23-2007, 09:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by abc4yew
Your the only person I've ever heard that can bark a 9cm turbo. Your AFE must be plugged or your Hot Juice has zero timing. What is your max boost?

I'm running 75hp Flux injectors with Smarty on SW9 and I can't get it over 1350 and I'm not running out of fuel low or high and I'm on an 03 stock turbo at 40psi. Something is wrong with your set up .....People are stacking with a 62 and they can't get it above 1300. That turbo can support a good 550 hp and you don't have the fuel to get anywhere near that. Keep us posted but there is something wrong.... are you at 8000feet altitude or something like that. KS
I was barking the stock turbo with Hot Juice, rokktech, and some pressure - which his 03 Hot should already have I believe.

There is defenitely something weird with the egts though. With the stock turbo I could run the Hot Juice all the way up and not hit 1400.
Old 06-23-2007, 10:10 PM

I'm running a Phat Shaft 62/14 and I am having results similar to thorbuilt. I am only able to run the Flux 2's with the Smarty on SW#3 and the Quad on 60 HP. If I turn it up any higher EGT's go through the roof.

I just installed one of the new Amsoil Nano filters on my AEM intake because I thought my AEM filter might of been a restriction and the Amsoil filter is twice the size. I only noticed a slight decrease in the rate of speed the EGT's rise but no decrease in total EGT's.

abc4yew what do you consider supporting 550 HP? My turbo will support that HP on the dyno but not on the street. I would say a turbo will support a certain HP if it will not go over 1350-1400 with a run from stand still to speed limiter. I would say that my turbo supports low to mid 400 range.

Maybe I'm asking for to much? Turbo is wastegated at 40 PSI and I will raise to 50 PSI after I install studs. Any suggestions? Maybe a problem with the pyro reading to high?
Old 06-23-2007, 10:37 PM
Banned

Your the only person I've ever heard that can bark a 9cm turbo. Your AFE must be plugged

Keep us posted but there is something wrong.... are you at 8000feet altitude or something like that. KS
Dirty air filter or high altitude will not increase the tendency to surge (bark as you call it). The sound you hear is the reversal of air flow back through the compressor. The cause of this is from the sudden deceleration of air flow when you go from 100% to 0% throttle. You stop driving the turbine on the turbo and the air pressure built up in the inter cooler and intake horn flow the path of least resistance and that is back out the intake.

A dirty air filter or high altitude reduce the compressors ability to make boost and lower boost means less energy potential stored that can surge when you lift your foot off the throttle.
Old 06-24-2007, 06:24 AM

I had no trouble barking my stock turbo even with stock fueling. I wouldn't even try to run the Hot juice on my stock turbo it would have been to 1500' by 50 MPH.
Old 06-24-2007, 09:24 AM

If you need better cooling you need a bigger exhaust wheel/housing... Something similar to silverbullet which is 74mm, I believe. If you need even more cooling, consider H2O injection...
Old 06-24-2007, 09:36 AM
Chapter President

I think you'll be hard pressed to find a single that spools well that keeps EGTs below 1450 WOT with everything on kill.
Old 06-24-2007, 11:34 AM

Guys, I was being funny.....The 9cm housing is so small it is more like a woof....I barked my twins only a couple of times and that was a BARK.

The EGT's being high...I was hoping were altitude or clogged filter related...not the woof.

With good fuel supply and management this turbo should be able to make 550 on the dyno....on the dyno EGT's tend to be high as there is not much in the way of cooling air being provided. You should be able to make more hp on the track than on the dyno....more resistance, more cool air.

There seems to be a huge variance in what EGT's people are seeing with this turbo. Maybe someone should start a thread asking for EGT vs Dyno results and their mods.

I was thinking of this turbo for my towing truck. I'm running stock at the limit now and I'm going to throw on the Super B this week to compare.

I'm spraying water so I can keep the EGT's under control but you still need air volume to make power. ks

Quick Reply: HTT 62/13ss review