3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

How to swap EXHAUST ELBOWS

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 10:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How to swap EXHAUST ELBOWS

Well I just bought a new exhaust elbow for my truck and want to swap them out.Anybody have pictures of how its done and how long will it take?I heard I have to remove the turbo.Called a shop and they said like 150 or 2 hours at least and then another 3 or so hours for the stack and all the rest of the exhaust.A video or pictures would make it a lot easier.Thanks guys!

I was thinking of doing it at a friends shop with a lift or maybe just as is on concrete at home.Was wondering if anybody had a step by step on how to do it?So I should loosen both clamps and pry the down pipe loose.Then the exhaust elbow rite.
Well can anybody TELL ME STEP BY STEP procedure to get the exhaust elbow off and put a 04.5-above.Then the down pipe
Old 09-14-2008, 12:32 AM

BUMP...how to change my exhaust elbow?
Old 09-14-2008, 06:41 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Exhaust elbow... you mean the pipe coming off the exhaust housing on the turbo and before the downpipe? It's not hard... take off the down pipe, move it out of the way, then take off the compression clamp off the top of the exhaust elbow... it will come right off. If you have an auto, you may need to move the tranny dipstick line out of the way... pull that up while twisting, it's held in by a rubber grommet... watch out, tho, tranny fluid may come out and give you a pink bath...

HTH... I've done it, so if you need more help, PM me...

Edit... I had a pic... you talkin about the part that's still bolted up?
Old 09-14-2008, 06:53 AM
Chapter President

i would like to know where you guys are getting the elbows from cause i would like to do it to my truck. can you buy it from a company or are you guys getting it from CTD owners?

Thanks,
Old 09-14-2008, 06:53 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

It's easiest if you jack the truck up and take the passenger side tire and fenderwell out. Remember safety, tho... jackstands!
Old 09-14-2008, 08:39 AM
tcr

Originally Posted by madhat
It's easiest if you jack the truck up and take the passenger side tire and fenderwell out. Remember safety, tho... jackstands!
I had mine out yesterday (for an ATS manifold install that kicked my ****) I left the tire on, but pulling the fender liner is a must for all kinds of access. Also, your factory clamps might get damaged pulling them off for the 1st time, I would get new ones and go for it or be very careful prying yours off.

FireRescue124,
Eric, I've told you it's not really worth the hassle, why don't you learn from all the stuff I do wrong?
Old 09-14-2008, 10:51 AM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Fire Rescue124
i would like to know where you guys are getting the elbows from cause i would like to do it to my truck. can you buy it from a company or are you guys getting it from CTD owners?

Thanks,
I already bought my '04.5+ elbow and clamp from Dodge. It was $96 for elbow and clamp out the door.
Old 09-14-2008, 03:07 PM

Alright I'll jack the truck up and put blocks.Then remove the fender liner and unbolt both clamps.After that I will try to get the down pipe off and pry the elbow.Am I clear tell there?

Fire Rescue, Look for a guy who is parting out his truck or at a junkyard.If not then try bargaining with the dealer.I bought mine from a wrecked truck for $33 shipped.
Old 09-14-2008, 03:11 PM

One more thing.I just got the clamp for the down pipe since the upper part clamp should be the same right?
Old 09-14-2008, 04:02 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Yeah, it should be the same. The clamp is what holds it on, it should come right off when you get it off. Probably the biggest problem you will have is getting the down pipe out of the way.

Soak those bolts in some PB blaster or something the like.

Keep us informed...
Old 09-14-2008, 10:26 PM

I was wondering if anybody have any pictures or something?
Old 09-15-2008, 03:18 PM

My fender liner kicked my but on my turbo install so I just pulled the manafold. But for future reference what is the trick to getting the fender liner out?
Old 09-15-2008, 03:20 PM
tcr

Originally Posted by SlowSixSpeed
My fender liner kicked my but on my turbo install so I just pulled the manafold. But for future reference what is the trick to getting the fender liner out?
It's only about 10 small 5/16" screws, very easy to pull and gives alot of access to the turbo area.
Old 09-15-2008, 03:26 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Originally Posted by fordassassin
I was wondering if anybody have any pictures or something?
Pictures of...???
Old 09-15-2008, 03:35 PM

Nevermind.I wanna thank everyone for there help.I seen it and it looks simple.Hard part looks like the Down Pipe removal.Next step is HOW TO INSTALL THE STACK with my BED/LINER.Heard its hard to do it with a slip in bed liner that came factory with the truck.I've seen it done to spray on beds and just the bed itself.Though never seen a stack in a slip in liner

Quick Reply: How to swap EXHAUST ELBOWS