3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

How strong is the tailgate?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 09:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How strong is the tailgate?

I just bought this truck (in signature), and am about to put my 1200lb Polaris Ranger in the bed. Because I have the short-bed, the rear wheels will be sitting on the tailgate when I travel. I'm a little concerned about 1200lbs. + my 225lbs when loading. To make matters worse, I was considering putting my sons 90cc ATV in the bed of the Ranger . . . adding another 250lbs. What do you guys think? Maybe I'll let my wife drive it up the first time .
Old 10-09-2006, 09:32 PM
Banned

I've hauled our 500 Polaris in my shortbed for years without any issues. Put many pounds worth of concrete and 4x4's and people and all sorts of stuff on it. Only time the cables snapped was I went about 30mph over a rail road track with the tailgate down and the tailgate flopped up and slammed down and snapped the straps.
Old 10-09-2006, 09:34 PM

Not sure if that make me feel better or not
Old 10-09-2006, 09:36 PM

I wanna see pics of your rig!!! I would say that you are fine. I have had to jump and land on the tailgate before and I am 275 so i can only imagine how much instant weight I put on the tailgate and it did not so much as flex. I am sure those straps can handle well over 1000 lbs.
Old 10-09-2006, 09:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by FirstDodge
Not sure if that make me feel better or not
It ought to. Sicne your polaris will be holding the tail gate down (assuming you have it strapped down) then it won't be flopping around. Constant pressure isn't a big issue. Sudden snaps and pops is what broke mine. I had nothing on my tailgate when the straps broke. I had it down for better wind resistance (I was younger and dumber back then) so I had nothing to hold it down. So when I went over the tracks it popped up and slammed back down and snapped.
Old 10-09-2006, 09:42 PM

Big Blue,

Do you know that having the tail gate down actually DRASTICALLY HURTS fuel economy. You get MUCH better MPG with the tailgate up with or without a tonneau cover.
Old 10-09-2006, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by D.Wiggs
Big Blue,

Do you know that having the tail gate down actually DRASTICALLY HURTS fuel economy. You get MUCH better MPG with the tailgate up with or without a tonneau cover.
hows that?
Old 10-09-2006, 09:46 PM

I wanna see pics of your rig!!! I would say that you are fine. I have had to jump and land on the tailgate before and I am 275 so i can only imagine how much instant weight I put on the tailgate and it did not so much as flex. I am sure those straps can handle well over 1000 lbs.
I just joined the forum a couple of weeks ago and I'm not allowed to post attachments . . . not sure when that changes. Still learning my way around the site. I'll post some pics in my gallery when I am allowed. However, on another thread, someone mentioned your truck and I looked in the gallery . . . NICE TRUCK.

I'll be pulling my 35ft travel trailer with the Ranger in the bed, so I really don't want it coming loose and sliding off into the camper . . . . bad news
Old 10-09-2006, 09:46 PM

A circular disruptive air flow occurs directly behind the cab that increases drag dramatically. It is not even close; over an entire tank of fuel, the mileage lost is rather large.
Old 10-09-2006, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by FirstDodge
I just joined the forum a couple of weeks ago and I'm not allowed to post attachments . . . not sure when that changes. Still learning my way around the site. I'll post some pics in my gallery when I am allowed. However, on another thread, someone mentioned your truck and I looked in the gallery . . . NICE TRUCK.

I'll be pulling my 35ft travel trailer with the Ranger in the bed, so I really don't want it coming loose and sliding off into the camper . . . . bad news
Just go to www.imageshack.us Upload your photos and then copy and paste the link titled "Hotlink for Forums 1" and then paste that into your post and the picture will automatically appear when you submit!
Old 10-09-2006, 09:48 PM

A circular disruptive air flow occurs directly behind the cab that increases drag dramatically. It is not even close; over an entire tank of fuel, the mileage lost is rather large.
idk, i know my dads drag truck which is a consistent 12.8 truck drop almost a tenth of a second when he dropped his tailgate....but he thinks it looks stupid, hed rather go that little bit slower and have his tailgate up
Old 10-09-2006, 09:50 PM

LOL!! Yeah, I was totally shocked when I saw it. It was done on an episode of Myth Busters and they showed the science and then a real-world demo and it was quite apparent.

Wow, a 1/10th in just a 1/4 mile! That's 100lbs. worth of weight roughly!
Old 10-09-2006, 10:22 PM

idk, maybe they just wanted to make good tv....lol...yeah not a full tenth, but almost...yeah ive always been told every hundred pounds you shave is a tenth of a second, **** if i lost some weight my drag truck would be quick!
Old 10-09-2006, 10:51 PM

D. Wiggs is correct. The air actually flows a bit smoother with the gate up. But if memory serves me correctly, the difference is actually negligible.

And I'm curious to know how much weight the gate can handle also. I have a 1200-lb golf cart that I'll be loading and want to make sure I'm okay.
Old 10-09-2006, 11:09 PM

i have loaded my golf cart with no ill effects. I also have had my 600 lb snowmobile sitting on the tailgate lots,, the only damage that has ever happened to my gate was my own doing with my 5th wheel and my sliding hitch

Kevin

Quick Reply: How strong is the tailgate?