3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

How to Really Control Boost? Is there a way!?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 04:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yea, the ECM decides when to actuate that solenoid and let the waste gat actuator get the boost air.

I on the other hand ran a line from the intake manifold to the waste gate actuator directly and gave the truck a run. I was still able to build 40psi like it was nothing! I would like to keep it down around 35psi because I believe there is nothing gained by the extra 5psi. It only runs about 1200deg on the exhaust at 40psi and so I figure I can afford a little more heat. It rarely ever sees 1200 deg now. My question is, do I need to drill and tap the intake horn and install a controlled bleed off valve if I want to achieve this 35psi and still run the BD in the highest setting?
Old 10-25-2006, 04:48 PM

Hey quad is there any boost fooling built into any of your modules? Or is the boost fooler an add on.
Old 10-25-2006, 05:12 PM

All of our modules do boost fooling, even in the off position.
Old 10-25-2006, 05:57 PM

Have you actually tried the TST on O/O and to control the boost. You figure that the TST is just adjusting the fueling like a gas pedal but it is changing the timing and duration of the injection event....If you set it to 40psi and it is reading the signal from the factory boost sensor first then that is what you will get. IF the other box puts you over 40psi then TST will go into defence mode and shorten the duration and retard the timing. I know with Smarty on and the TST on 0/0 and 40psi max boost.....I can spike over 40psi but it will hold on 40psi all day long until I hit redline. Take off the boost protection and I can rip it to 80psi. Have you tried this or are you just assuming that it doesn't work...If you have another box plugged into the MAP sensor just make sure the TST is in first. All I can say is that with a downloader it works on mine and it should work just as well if the TST is getting the unmodded info from the sensor. ks
Old 10-25-2006, 09:13 PM
Banned

Yes. I have tried it... Here's what I did... Remember though that I only have the R37 with no gauges. My only selection as to the boost limit is Off or On.. Boost limiter on Limits to 35 PSI (Which in my opinion should be limited to the stock boost level... but never mind that..) Boost limiter off limits to anything the fueling will allow the turbo to achieve..

Boost limiter on - BDDL on Stock boost will stay at 35 like it's supposed to.

Boost limiter on - BDDL on CL boost will go all the way to the mid 40's.. Not good on my stock turbo obviously.

Boost limiter off - Same thing both ways.

I also think I may have a messed up harness on my TST.. Working with TST on that problem right now. It has a very weird stuttering action..

(I wouldn't think its the rail running out of fuel... No way on 2/2 ((standard program not twins))with the injection pump checking out just fine at the dealer and having a FASS 150)

You say that your TST (I'm assuming you have the R49 by your post) will limit boost from another box or downloader? That would be great.. Maybe my R37 just isn't capable of doing that.

Like I said.. I'm working with TST on some problems right now.. but I was still kinda trying to figure out a better way to limit boost.

Again.. I appreciate all the input.