3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

How much power to stock trans

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 10:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How much power to stock trans

05 2500 2wd 48re. How much power can it handle? Ive got a diablo power puck and a boost fooler. Will it be fine on the 90hp setting or will I need to stay on the 60? Also which setting should it be on when Im towing?
Old 01-19-2009, 10:16 PM

I am not sure if there is any difference in the 2wd transmission, but anything over about 100hp extra will do the tranny in. I ran my Juice w/Att on level 3 most of the time, 4 and 5 occansionally and my tranny went south in about a year.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:19 PM

Stock!!! Stock!!!!
Old 01-19-2009, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by dslpwr81
Stock!!! Stock!!!!
When towing?
Old 01-19-2009, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by Jduck
When towing?
Seriously, it is pretty much good for stock power only. Some people get away for months running them hard, and some go out one time and need a tranny. To be on the safe side, stay on the smallest level or stay stock until you can AT LEAST get a TC and VB.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:29 PM

Im not really planning on "racing" with it, just looking for a little extra power and some mpg improvements.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:36 PM

I am a firm believer NOW, that doing your tranny build should be first and foremost. Otherwise you are not getting the full benefit from the upgrades you do. Also, you if you are planning on towing you should definitely upgrade the tranny.

I think the minimum you should do is a VB/trans-go shift kit and a TRQ converter. As long as you are not out there beating on it you should be set to go with that.

Otherwise, if you want to leave the tranny stock I would not personally add more than about 50hp-75hp.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:39 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by CrashCade
I am a firm believer NOW, that doing your tranny build should be first and foremost. Otherwise you are not getting the full benefit from the upgrades you do.
I definatly agree with that statement.

To answer your question, I would say 50-75 hp is semi safe, but it will still wear it out faster.

My tranny lasted about 6 months after I put my edge on, and I kept it on 3 usually.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:40 PM

Im planning on doing the trans sometime, but right now the trans upgrade fund is not quite high enough to do them. Which would I benefit from the most the vb upgrade or tq converter? Also on the converters everything I see listed is up to 450hp and 450 and up. Which one would be better for a DD?
Old 01-19-2009, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by CrashCade
I am a firm believer NOW, that doing your tranny build should be first and foremost. Otherwise you are not getting the full benefit from the upgrades you do. Also, you if you are planning on towing you should definitely upgrade the tranny.

I think the minimum you should do is a VB/trans-go shift kit and a TRQ converter. As long as you are not out there beating on it you should be set to go with that.

Otherwise, if you want to leave the tranny stock I would not personally add more than about 50hp-75hp.
Yep agree 100%....get a tranny...should be the first thing you do....your truck will drive so much better and you'll actually feel the added power..

Trust me a stock tranny on a 90HP tune will go south quickly...
Old 01-19-2009, 11:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Edge recommends that only level 1 (25hp) on the Juice or EZ be used for heavy towing with a stock truck. Level 3 (60-65hp) is the highest level recommended for a stock truck when not towing. These are very conservative recommendations compared to what some people run but they are also probably very safe for a stock truck. With an aftermarket full-billet transmission, EGTs are your main limiting factor on what HP level is safe. Of course, there are users on DTR that have managed to scatter very expensive aftermarket transmissions in their quest for more power.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by Jduck
Im planning on doing the trans sometime, but right now the trans upgrade fund is not quite high enough to do them. Which would I benefit from the most the vb upgrade or tq converter? Also on the converters everything I see listed is up to 450hp and 450 and up. Which one would be better for a DD?
Do the VB upgrade. Either a shift kits or a whole new VB. If you want there are companies out there that you can just buy the VB from and probably install it yourself. You can always go back and install a TQ pretty easily.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:09 AM

VB and TQ a must, don't mess around. With that 400hp is good. After that you need billet shafts, trust me I found out the hard way......
Old 01-20-2009, 11:34 AM

Edge EZ (65HP) took my first tranny out
But I know A guy who has a 120HP chip and Drives the Crap out of his truck and tows with it and is still running the stock tranny.
Old 01-20-2009, 02:53 PM
Banned

Both of our trucks have been run at 100 hp over stock since new with 100% stock transmissions. No problems yet. Knock on wood. If you don't abuse them they can take some power & live.

Quick Reply: How much power to stock trans