3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

How much power can the stock tranny hold? (06 auto 4x4)

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 12:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
$6-8K depends on how many internal parts get upgraded.

I spent 5k just in parts and did all the labor myself.

Speed costs money, how fast do you want to go?
Old 12-16-2008, 06:49 AM

TN diesel

You answered your own question on HP you are a dump kid in school. Own your truck don't let it own you.

It's your money do what you want but from my experience I've had more fun driving a slow truck to a motel with a glove box full of jimmys than trying to get a ride because my rig went south.
Old 12-16-2008, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by n2moto
TN diesel

You answered your own question on HP you are a dump kid in school. Own your truck don't let it own you.

It's your money do what you want but from my experience I've had more fun driving a slow truck to a motel with a glove box full of jimmys than trying to get a ride because my rig went south.
hahaha that one deserves a +10
Old 12-16-2008, 10:18 AM

With that lucas stop-slip in there I would start saving for a trans right now. That stuff was added to my bosses truck at around 20,000 miles when he had the edge j/a because he thought it would help. It died 10k miles later running on level 3.

A bunch of the clutch packs were toasted, the trans shop said it was because of something in the lucas additive. Not sure if that was 100% true, but he had stock tires, didn't tow with it, and didn't beat on it. No track passes, just getting on it on the freeway and stuff.
Old 12-16-2008, 02:27 PM

where would yall recomend buying the parts from?
Old 12-16-2008, 03:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by annabelle
$6000.00 or so.
hahhaha that's a good start...
Old 12-16-2008, 03:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by phantom 309
where would yall recomend buying the parts from?

ATS........
Old 12-16-2008, 03:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My 2 cents is that the poor Dodge auto is ill suited for its task and is under designed for even the stock motor. I went back to standards after my first dodge. Been much happier.
Old 12-16-2008, 03:55 PM

Give Tony a call at DunRite Converters. $1360 for the TC, $450 for the VB, $250 for the FlexPlate, plus shipping. He is one of the best on this "beefed-up 727" that Dodge calls a 48RE. The VB comes with his TransBuddy, which is an electronic controller so the TC can be manually locked/unlocked. If you can do the labor yourself, you are good to go for a little over $2K.
Old 12-16-2008, 03:59 PM

Talking 06 auto

From my experiences, depending on how you drive the truck with a stock transmission it will last more or less time, I put on an Edge J/A and started saving for my Suncoast, stocker lasted almost 30,000 miles before it took a dump on me. I will admit that I tried to keep my Juice on level 3 or lower but it didn't always happen. All in all I am happy with how the stocker handled everything, and I love the Suncoast I got a new truck when it went in.

Jason

Now I want more power
Old 12-16-2008, 04:15 PM
Banned

Goerend is the man. Hes been building them longer than most people out there and his warranty is #1!
Old 12-16-2008, 06:04 PM
Banned

My stock tranny lasted 50k before it took a dump on me. I had my Bully Dog for maybe 10k. I have since kept it on Stock or Tow mode with the new stock tranny, as I save my 5-6k for a new tranny.
So my advice is just keep it on stock mode, until you have money for a tranny.
Old 12-16-2008, 06:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mr Bee
VB= Valve body.
TN Diesel... From personal experience I have driven 100,000 miles with a stock trans and a smarty on 90HP. That said, I do not dirve like an idiot and race away from every stoplight. If your truck is going to see track duty, be very careful as the will increase your chances of failure many times. They do not like boosted launches in stock form, resist from doing that. There are some who do this but there are many many more who have tried and failed with costly repair.
There is not really a non-costly way to get an upgrade for your transmission.
Valve body and torque convertor will run you about 1500-1700 and then labor if you cannot do it yourself. I assure you that if you look at the stock flex plate and a billet one you will break your arm getting the money out of your pocket. (Another 400.00) The stock one is so flimsey. If you are serious about keeping your truck, there are many quality transmisson builders, and IMHO just bite the bullet and do it right and forget it. I have had my Gorend
transmission for 25,000 miles and LOVE IT!! It changes the truck completely and I never worry about painting a little pavement every so often, I know my trans will hold. There is a lot of peace of mind with the purchase.
I dont think you have to drive like an idiot to have your tranny go with these AUTO's. If you have 35's or 37's and ur rear end is still the same, its gonna put that much more wear and tear on your rig, than the stock tires would.
Old 12-16-2008, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by JhnpJunior
ATS........
I see u spent ur money wisely
Old 12-16-2008, 08:01 PM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
You really can't expect the stock tranny to hold more than stock power. Dodge knows what they are doing and they cheapened the tranny as far as they could get away with. It's not like the Cummins is so strong that Chrysler could not make the tranny work, it's that they made it just strong enough to match stock power.

I slipped mine at 60 HP over stock. By slipped I mean the TC clutch could not hold while towing at low RPM. By towing at higher RPM and not just burning it up I was OK till I got new TC and VB. Now, at with 90 HP added by my Smarty I can slip it again anytime I pass someone in OD lockup, or tow. I went cheap and did not get a triple disk converter.

The best thing is a VB, triple disk TC, a billet input shaft, a better intermediate band (Chrysler part), and a stronger flex plate. While you are at it make sure it has a roller thrust bearing for the exhaust brake. If you really want to slam it maybe an intermediate shaft and a racing shift lever.

In the mean time, keep the revs up while towing and, if it slips, let off. Check your fluid periodically for discoloration and, if it's brown, order the new tranny.

Quick Reply: How much power can the stock tranny hold? (06 auto 4x4)