3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

How much power can the stock Auto tranny handle?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 12:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How much power can the stock Auto tranny handle?

I see a lot of people have "48RE" on sigs and im not sure what transmission that is. (flame suit on) I have the 4-spd automatic. How much HP/TQ can my transmission handle before I need to upgrade? Another words, w/o tocuhing the torque converter or any internals and leaving the tranny completely stock.
Old 03-15-2006, 12:46 AM

I think around 350 or so....for awhile anyway. Eventually you'll want to beef up the tranny. I'm starting out by having the tranny built first, then add a Juice box. Most of the guys can't wait, and add a box first.

BTW, the 48RE is the tranny you have in your truck.
Old 03-15-2006, 12:48 AM

SO then what kind of 48RE is this?
Link
Old 03-15-2006, 12:52 AM

ive seen those too but figured since nobody on any of the boards Im on has ever said anything about them that I wasnt goin to be the SUCKER!
Old 03-15-2006, 04:18 AM

Lots of imitators out there trying to compete with the big boys but I wouldn't risk it. Look at the sigs here and try to find a topic started by one of us saying that their DTT trans had a problem. I have yet to see one.....
Old 03-15-2006, 06:16 AM

My tranny is completely stock. Just flushed it @ 32.5K. When I got into this diesel chip performance thing about 3 months ago I was completely new to this. I had this same exact question. I got the muff then the air filter w/ my modded stock airbox. Then I got to reading on the subject: How much hp can I add WITHOUT, AT FIRST, doing anything from the flywheel on back? I did numerous searches, called around, talked to folks,etc. etc. I settled on Quads std.box, #1 reason being he seemed to be relatively new BUT PEOPLE
WERE GOING ON & ON ABOUT HIS EXCELLENT CUSTOMER SERVICE. I figured
& still do feel most chips are equal in terms of quality, difference being how & when the power is applied & the different mapping strategy.
I feel MARGINALLY you can get by w/ 100 hp on the stock set-up PROVIDED you apply the power easily. Running red light to red light racing ricers & fords/chevies is going to trash a stock tranny short order, not to mention sledding/drag racing. I use my 100 hp on interstate driving & usually then only on week-ends. I feel eventually in 2-3 years I will do a TD/VB to my tranny & that should take care of the 100 hp from there on out. This is what most of the tranny guys will tell you for this level of power, if asked.
The tranny you provided the link to is definately a performance transmission IN EXCESS of what 100 hp needs, IMHO. It has kevlar bands,re-worked planetaries, improved converter & vb. I DID NOT SEE where it had a BILLET output shaft which I think would be a very crucial link in xtreme hp applications. I had a friend w/ a second gen who toasted his auto grossing
27k in o/d. He had it re-worked by a prof. tranny guy & also replaced & beefed up rear. his bill was roughly 3-4k.

Diesel trucks & vehicles were first concieved, & by FAR & LARGE STILL ARE, work vehicles. That isn't to say you CAN'T make them hot rods as this site obviously shows. A diesel 4x4 3/4-1 ton truck wieghs around 7200 lbs.
xtra gear, people, & you have roughly 4 TONS. ANYTHING that weighs that much & is forced into high performance such as we see on these pages BETTER BE BUILT TO TAKE IT. I suppose you could hot rod rubber tired loaders & eventually a bulldozer or two. My point being eventually you have to stop SOMEWHERE.

I hope this has given you a little insight as you travel your "Diesel Journey"
Most of what I have written here are things I have learned by being on this site, with a few of my .02 thrown in Good Luck!
Old 03-15-2006, 06:16 AM

tranny

I spoke with a friend the other day at our local dyno.He has an 03 4dr. dually 2wd,auto.He has twins,methanol,etc,etc.And he is also a major tranny shop for the area who builds race trannies for many folks.After I watched him lay down 687rwhp and 1400 rwtq,I ask him about the tranny.He said he had,the good shafts all the way through because the originals broke.The only other mod he did was some shift-kit with a torque converter lock-up switch.Any of yall seen these???He has alot of miles on the set-up towing/not.What yall think???
Old 03-15-2006, 08:45 AM

I think you can get away with maybe 70 extra horsepower with NO problems. With my Edge juice box on level one or two mine was fine but on level 3 my torque converter clutch would slip under heavy pedal. My trans has 68,000 miles on it and level 3 was too much. That is just my personal experience with power to stock trans.And I am sure your buddy has a tripple disk converter in there with that much HP.
Old 03-15-2006, 06:10 PM

Swears its stock converter,he just locks it with the switch.He burned up the forward clutches,and replaced them,but rest of tranny is stock.Says he locks the converter in 2 nd gear on hard passes.Mine has the superchip.I have run the 114hp for quite a while,with no tranny issues.I recently went back to the 60hp to drag my big enclosed trailer.
Old 03-18-2006, 11:15 AM

Here Ya Go

I have an 03 dually 4x4. A ton of mods, except form a tranny. I have ran every different chip out there on my truck and have settled on a TST with TWINS program wil be my next and final chip. Currently I have a modified Juice/Attitude hot box (the baddest EDGE has made) on levels 1-5 my trany will slip, but on my "STOCK" setting (which is big injectors and a huge turbo) I am fine. I have 70,000 miles on it and I am now looking at buying a new one since I have no warranty left. As far as aftermarket trannys go I am going with the PRO-LOC tranny that you can get from TS performance. As far as the other big three (ATS,DTT,Suncoast) not a chance. I have too many friends that have problems with them blowing up, and the being a pain to deal with the company after the fact. One guy with a DTT dually 2 wheel drive only has 100 HP injectors and an Edge EZ and het blew his full blown DTT. The PRO-LOC has a 3 YEAR UNLIMITED HORSEPOWER & UNLIMITED TORQUE WARRANTY. Check them out.
Old 03-18-2006, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by BigTXDually
I have an 03 dually 4x4. A ton of mods, except form a tranny. I have ran every different chip out there on my truck and have settled on a TST with TWINS program wil be my next and final chip. Currently I have a modified Juice/Attitude hot box (the baddest EDGE has made) on levels 1-5 my trany will slip, but on my "STOCK" setting (which is big injectors and a huge turbo) I am fine. I have 70,000 miles on it and I am now looking at buying a new one since I have no warranty left. As far as aftermarket trannys go I am going with the PRO-LOC tranny that you can get from TS performance. As far as the other big three (ATS,DTT,Suncoast) not a chance. I have too many friends that have problems with them blowing up, and the being a pain to deal with the company after the fact. One guy with a DTT dually 2 wheel drive only has 100 HP injectors and an Edge EZ and het blew his full blown DTT. The PRO-LOC has a 3 YEAR UNLIMITED HORSEPOWER & UNLIMITED TORQUE WARRANTY. Check them out.

A week ago you were looking at DTT, ATS, and Suncoast. What made you change your mind so fast?