3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

How many Formula 1 4.0's and questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 11:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How many Formula 1 4.0's and questions

I have put about 100 miles on my truck since the major upgrades - 4.0's, 66-14, Airdog 150, Dual cp3's. One thing I am finding is that my truck gets hot really fast on the egt's. hitting 1000-1200 regular just cruising and hit 1600 on a WOT 1/8

I am worried about sled pulling tommorow. I really never saw much above 1500 on a regular basis with my 3.3's, 64-14, Stage 2 Cp3 while sled pulling.
I could keep the egt's below 1000 all the time while cruising with that setup

Don M made a statement about "water injection is your friend" with the 4.0.

Is water injection the answer to getting this thing cooled down?

Any other ways to cool her down?

last question - anyone else having egt issues with 4.0's?
Old 06-07-2008, 02:57 AM

I would think either water or more air. 71 mm or twins
Old 06-07-2008, 06:23 AM
wap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, I can burry 1500 degrees with stock sticks and cp3 with pretty much the same turbo. 4.0s are a lot of fuel, you need twins or at least water.
Old 06-07-2008, 08:37 AM
DTR Advertiser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The turbo is slightly small for those size injectors, but those EGT's are insane for cruise speeds.

I know the Edge hot juice will get crispy in the upper levels, it is like the TST on higher levels.

A couple of things that will help:

1) Water injection first. Small amounts of methanol only. Maybe 10% MAX. I know the guys at snow will tell you different, but 10% is all you need to control heat without the risk of too much early fuel light off.

2) See if youy can borrow a Smarty and back check EGT against the Juice.

3) A cam will help some too. The intake lobe has a longer duration on the Helix to allow a higher amount of air into the cylinder.

The crusie EGT worries me more than anything. It is high. Maybe you have a dripping injector? I know the injectors have been in there only a hundred miles, but I also recall that the dual pump install had some snags.

Im just thinking out loud herre.
Old 06-07-2008, 08:50 AM

not sure how long the turbo has been on there, but another thing to consider is the converter may be too tight for a turbo that size.
Old 06-07-2008, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by Don M
The turbo is slightly small for those size injectors, but those EGT's are insane for cruise speeds.

I know the Edge hot juice will get crispy in the upper levels, it is like the TST on higher levels.

A couple of things that will help:

1) Water injection first. Small amounts of methanol only. Maybe 10% MAX. I know the guys at snow will tell you different, but 10% is all you need to control heat without the risk of too much early fuel light off.

2) See if youy can borrow a Smarty and back check EGT against the Juice.

3) A cam will help some too. The intake lobe has a longer duration on the Helix to allow a higher amount of air into the cylinder.

The crusie EGT worries me more than anything. It is high. Maybe you have a dripping injector? I know the injectors have been in there only a hundred miles, but I also recall that the dual pump install had some snags.

Im just thinking out loud herre.
Thanks to all guys.

Don, with a dripping injector do you mean a leaking injector? I have checked the oil constantly for diesel - just by smelling it - but I dont know an other way. i havent gotten any in there so far. In fact, I dropped the oil after the first couple test runs because I was so worried about diesel gettting in there again. I didnt smell any and the oil was not runny.

As far as water injection - i think I will try that.

Cam?? prob not this year

As far as turbo - I dont have the money for twins. And any single bigger scares me b/c I think this 66 is really laggy. So if i stick with this 66 should I go back to the 3.3?

Smarty - I would like to try one and check it agaisnt my electronics now. I know that the majority likes the smarty.

One last question - will NOS drop the egt?
Old 06-07-2008, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by lmills
not sure how long the turbo has been on there, but another thing to consider is the converter may be too tight for a turbo that size.
Becasue its a tripple lock? Sorry I am not sure what you mean by too tight.

Its a 1800 stall.

The converter has been on for 3 years and I ran a 64-14 for a year.
The 66 has been on there for just a month now. It was changed when i did fuel upgrades and injectors.
Old 06-07-2008, 09:38 AM

My egts run about 800 just at cruise, at WOT they try and clime but the turbo does a good job. Im running 3.5 and a silver 64. I plan on uping the stixx to a 4.0 but the turbo was going in also to be upgraded to a 66. I plan on water soon I think with the way it cleans the smoke up now i'll be fine.
Also, from what i have seen on here, NOS will lower EGTS a little. I would like to try it but the gas just scares me.
Old 06-07-2008, 10:59 AM

Jason, try to get your hands on a Smarty. Compared to other boxes, the Smarty somehow is able to keep EGT's down while producing good power. When I had the regular software from the site, which is plenty powerful, I couldn't get my temps above 1300 no matter how I hard I pushed. Even with the TNT/R, I can't get it to hit 1400. Granted, I have twins, but from what I hear, the Smarty works really well. It's worth a try!

Jared
Old 06-07-2008, 11:40 AM

Don M has a good point...what MIGHT have happenend to the injectors when your rail was at max max max pressure blowing up CP3's durring the dual pump mishap??? Maybe nothing...maybe something. If you have time/money...pull them and let him check them...to put that concern to bed.

What is your boost at these crazy high cruise egts?

The only problem I have had with a Juice on my other truck...is the optimistic EGT gauge. Are you monitoring egts with a stand alone gauge too?
Old 06-07-2008, 01:14 PM

Just another thought,the Edge Pyro sensors do fail,those numbers are just crazy
Old 06-08-2008, 12:57 AM

man this thread is making me wonder about my truck i still have stock stix and cp3 and i can hit 1600* pretty darn quick with the triple stack i have on there now. there is no way i would add injectors unless i did twins or something like that. Dont mean to hijack but does this sound pretty warm for just tuning? I figured wheni put the silver bullet on there i wouldnt see anything over 1350 or 1400 with just tuning?
Old 06-08-2008, 01:50 AM

Ok, I had two pulls tonight. First pull was a little weird. It was a street class pull. Didnt build enough boost at the line and the turbo lagged for 40 feet or so, and the whole thing was screwed up from there till 325 feet...but I saw 1650 at the end for 10 feet. I am fine with around 1500 at the end.

Second pull (sled tighter - hotter class) I got a little better boost - turbo spooled better and at 300 feet I was at 1500. So I didnt see any huge difference in egt (from last year) while pulling and that was my main concern.

i guess I need to keep that 66 spooling and moving the air better from the start. And I am guessing a way to do this is with a higher stall converter.
Plus maybe help out the heat with some H2O injection -????

What does concern me is that high egt while cruising over extended periods of time. I am seriously looking to get a stand alone egt gauge and try a smarty.

Oh yeah...I forgot to add - I dont think I have an injector leaking or 'hanging' but this is just by feel of oil and smell. I watched it closely and oil didnt change color, consitancy or level. Would I still need them tested out of truck to be sure?
Old 06-08-2008, 02:21 AM

If the injectors are leaky then get them checked out quick as under heavy loads...diesel in the lube oil makes for scored cylinders pretty quick...Get water injection....it is way cheap and it will give you a solid 150 degree or more drop if you have the nozzles matched well to the fueling. The new Smarty runs cooler EGT's but watch your coolant temps.....the heat goes somewhere when the fueling is high....a Coolant flow by set up with Smarty and big fueling is a very smarty idea. 1650 for 10 seconds is ok...doing some damage but if you change out the lubes and filters very often and check valve lash every week you should be good for the season. Can't expect to sledpull and have the truck last for 300k. KS
Old 06-08-2008, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by abc4yew
If the injectors are leaky then get them checked out quick as under heavy loads...diesel in the lube oil makes for scored cylinders pretty quick...Get water injection....it is way cheap and it will give you a solid 150 degree or more drop if you have the nozzles matched well to the fueling. The new Smarty runs cooler EGT's but watch your coolant temps.....the heat goes somewhere when the fueling is high....a Coolant flow by set up with Smarty and big fueling is a very smarty idea. 1650 for 10 seconds is ok...doing some damage but if you change out the lubes and filters very often and check valve lash every week you should be good for the season. Can't expect to sledpull and have the truck last for 300k. KS

Hey, I was going to talk about my water temps a little but thought it was too much info to relate and still try to get some answers on what to do. At cruise i am seeing 190-196 and pulling a grade 198. If I really lay the fuel down it goes to around 200-210 real quick but back to 190-194 quick also.

Last night on both hooks I started out at 187 and 185. At the end of the pull i saw 230 both. Both hooks took 11 seconds. I was back to 190 in about 2 minutes.

As far as 300,000 miles - I wish we could do that. I got 65,000 now and i was just hoping to get her to 100,000 before any major rebuilds. - fingers always crossed

Quick Reply: How many Formula 1 4.0's and questions