3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

How long will a full billet auto tranny last with a truck with 6-700HP???

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 03:06 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RowJ
I have 130,000 on my DTT and it still purrs like a kitten.
But remember, it's not how much hp you have....it's how often you use it ALL!
I can leave my truck set to full power and still go all week and not hit WOT power.
Other than going to the Drag Strip and occasionally playing hard on the street, I probably spend 98% of my miles at no more than 400 hp.

As mentioned above, it's all about how hard you drive it on a regular basis, including heavy towing.
An abused tranny can need refreshing every 20-30,000 miles. I hope to get 200,000 - 250,000 +/- out of mine.

RJ

Good post Rowland! I agree 1000 %.

I think some people can tear up a fully built trans in no time while others can make a stocker (with big power) last a LONG time. I don't change my "settings". I just practice discipline with the right foot.....with the power on tap when I want it......and only occasionally.

Old 10-05-2008, 10:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another thing to look at when it comes to a tranny is considering an external filter. If you have ever seen the insides of an Allison, you will notice how clean everything is. This for the most part is thanks to the screw on, external filter.
You can buy a kit from several companies that splices into the return fluid line and mounts a filter by the fuel tank. I've had one apart after a year of abuse and it was spotless inside.
With that said, it will mostly come down to the same thing everyone else has said, ''It's up to YOU, on how long it will last.'' I have seen the best built trannys fail in short order when only 1.5 quarts low on fluid.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:06 AM

How long your trans lasts depends on your right foot. However, my Goerend I was told by Dave personally, will hold up to 800hp reliably. That tells me if I use it wisely, keep fluids clean, and don't abuse the heck out of it, that I will probably get a good amount of mileage out of it in the 650ish range. We'll see though, but I am counting on it!
Old 10-06-2008, 09:58 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by JFlory
Another thing to look at when it comes to a tranny is considering an external filter. If you have ever seen the insides of an Allison, you will notice how clean everything is. This for the most part is thanks to the screw on, external filter.
You can buy a kit from several companies that splices into the return fluid line and mounts a filter by the fuel tank. I've had one apart after a year of abuse and it was spotless inside.
With that said, it will mostly come down to the same thing everyone else has said, ''It's up to YOU, on how long it will last.'' I have seen the best built trannys fail in short order when only 1.5 quarts low on fluid.
Not sure how true this is, but I've read that external filters and coolers shouldn't be used because they cause added restrictions to the system. Have you had success running external filters on 48RE's?