3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

How hot is too HOT (Transmission)

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2005, 10:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How hot is too HOT (Transmission)

Hello
This is based on the Temps after running the 1/4 mile. The truck is a 3500 2004 4X4 with a TST PMCR and a EZ edge. The transmission has a Goerend Brothers triple disc convertor and valve body, the rest of the transmission is DTT. We also have the double deep oil pan on the transmission.

This is my wife's truck and she loves to drag race it. She stages and then with the TST on 6/4 she builds boost to 5 to 10 psi and then she goes. I am the guy behind the curtain and makes stuff happen.

Finally the question.
I have the temp sensor in the hot pipe roughly 4-6 inches from where it comes out of the transmission and before it goes into the first cooler. The gauge was showing 240/280 degrees after her run. I do not have a temp sensor in the pan to see what the oil is going into the transmission Is that to hot ?

We use this truck as a daily driver and to pull our 5th wheel camper and goose neck and of course an occasional drag race at the race track and maybe at a streetlight or two.

I just spent $$$$.00 on transmission parts and don't want to ruin them due to heat.

I got home to late to call the fella who did the transmission work to get his answer on this question. Next week we will be leaving to travel up to Minnesota and Michigan and then to Ind and finally down to N C. We will be pulling the goose neck with a parts tractor (560 Farmall) and a Farmall "H".

Thank you
See Ya
Chris
Old 08-05-2005, 05:35 AM

hey chris those temps are warm but in there given local i think they are ok,you know who to call,he can give you the scoop
Old 08-05-2005, 09:35 PM

Hello again

I called and talked to a top notch transmission fella and he figured things would be fine. What I am going to do is put another sensor in the pan and see what temps I see in the transmission oil pan.

It seams that most folks are putting their sensor in the oil pan, so they really don't know how hot the transmission is really working at. I am sure that the temps from the oil pan will be much lower than the temps from the "hot" pipe. I hope to hook that up this weekend.

I am also going to drain the trans fluid onto some white napkins so we can see if there is a problem.

My thoughts behind putting the sensor in the "hot" pipe is that I wanted to see how hard the transmission was working. I figure that with the sensor in the oil pan that is reading the cooled oil and you have no idea of how hot the transmission really is. I was taught that the cooler you can get the transmission the better, HEAT IS THE NUMBER ONE KILLER OF THE AUTO TRANNY.

I know I have some interest on this subject. I posted last night after I got home from the race track and tonight after work it had over 90 views.

Thanks for looking, if you have any good information that would be great. Thanks Jess
See Ya
Chris
Old 08-06-2005, 05:54 AM

I think that putting the sensor in the pan gives you a reading that is about 30-40 degrees cooler that the hot line. I'd think you would be OK if you're getting those high numbers at the track but not in everyday driving. You know that your fluid should be changed more regularly if you're going to do this often though.. If it was me getting those kind of temps I'd start looking at an additional trans cooler but I can be a little paranoid when it comes to things like this......
Old 08-06-2005, 04:32 PM

hey what are you doing with a "parts" 560 when you are in minnesota you can drop it off at my house so I can use the parts for mine.....
Old 08-06-2005, 05:14 PM

Chris ..

You've got the sensor in the right place ... running @ 280 you should consider dumping your fluid @ 5K vs 15K ... fluid life deteriorates fast after 250*

At 195 degrees F., for instance, fluid life is reduced to 50,000 miles. At 220 degrees, which is commonly encountered in many transmissions, the fluid is only good for about 25,000 miles. At 240 degrees F., the fluid won't go much over 10,000 miles. Add another 20 degrees, and life expectancy drops to 5,000 miles. Go to 295 or 300 degrees F., and 1,000 to 1,500 miles is about all you'll get before the transmission burns up.
Old 08-06-2005, 09:31 PM

Thanks Keith and Dodgezilla.

I called and talked to Tim and he figured the readings in the pan would be about 40/50 degrees cooler than in the hot pipe. He also told me about the same as you did in your post.
He is the one that suggested that I drain the fluid on a napkin and send him a picture and also to get some readings from the pan. I think he is a pretty smart fella with these transmissions.
I switched the sensor to the pan tonight and had my wife take the truck for a drive the temps where 140/160 degrees. When I had it in the hot pipe it would run at about 180/200 degrees. I had her act like she was staging at the "tree" and do a launch like at the race track and watch the trans temp, her reply was the trans temp didn't move from the 140 degrees. We have four black marks out in the road from her launch.
I will take the truck out in the morning and warm up the fluids prior to a oil change and see what I can get the temps to. I don't like the tires on the truck any ways, might just as well even out the treads before we take our trip up north.

On monday I will be calling Geno's and see if I can get another transmission temp gauge and sensor sent to me over night. I plan on hitting the road on the afternoon of the 11th.

I want to compare the differences that I see when pulling the empty goose neck trailer.
1 The temp in the hot pipe
2 The temp in the trans double deep transmission pan

Then once we are loaded with the "parts tractor and a Farmall "H" I figure the combined weight to be somewhere around 10,000/12,000 pounds.
Then I want to compare the differences again.
The same as above.
If we get high temps then, I will hook my 2500 up to the goose neck and pull it to North Carlolina and then go to work figuring out why the trans gets so hot.
With that said I guess I won't be able to pull my strong running stock truck in the Schield truck pull.
I will post the information that I learn after I get back from this trip.

Trying to get this figured out
See Ya
Chris
Old 08-07-2005, 08:23 PM

Todays update

I finished packing the wheel bearing and adjusting the brakes on the Goose neck trailer and I hooked the empty 25 foot goose neck trailer to my wife's truck.

I drove the truck and GN through the town of Swansboro a few lights here and there. The transmission sensor was in the transmission pan and the temp reading was 140/160.

I went home and switched the sensor to the "hot pipe" and we did the same drive the readings was 180/220.

Once we cleared the town traffic and where moving along the temps droped down to 180/160.

I drained the transmission fliud today and everything looked fine.

So with the above information I think you folks looking at you transmission gauge that is reading the pan temp you can add 40 to 60 more degrees to see what the transmission is working at.

Of cource if you don't pull anything or if you just don't give a crap about about your truck then everything is fine. The transmission folks will be looking forward to your call.

I may be a bit harsh but I served 21 years in the USMC and I have found that it is better to be up front when dealing with folks.
I will post my results from our trip up north.
Chris
Old 08-08-2005, 04:44 AM

How can you talk to us like that?!?!

I always add about 30 degrees to what my guage shows but in the future I'll change that to 40 degrees. I saw the high temps you speak of one time while I was backing my loaded trailer through a muddy yard and I had to go into 4lo to do it. My high idle kicked in until the temps dropped and I haven't had any problems since. I'd bet that issue at the track may have just been a fluke.

Have a good trip.....
Old 08-14-2005, 07:13 PM

Hello All
Sorry about the above harsh post. I have turned the rant off now.

I received the extra transmission temp. gauge and sender from Geno's, I installed them prior to departing for Minn. (BTW it was cold way up there it was 66 on Sat morning).

We traveled up the I 77and the West Va turnpike I77 over on I64 and on and on and on. I have pictures on the digital camera that will show pulling up the long grade going into Va. that the boost was pushing 22 pounds of boost, egt roughly 1000 degrees and the "hot pipe gauge was running 180/190 and the gauge in the pan was running 130/140. That is with the truck and empty GN trailer26 ft long. The outside air was high 70s low 80s at that point. All day long in the 100 degree heat the "hot pipe" ran around 180 as did the gauge in the pan that was when cruising down the road. When I did have a stop the "hot pipe' would go up to 200/220 depending on how much throttle I was pushing to get moving, of course when everything was locked up then the temps came back down to 180. When the outside temps cooled down the pan temps dropped down to 140/160 and the hot pipe ran pretty much at 180. I think that was due to the coolers being able to transfer heat better.

I figured out the fuel milage a couple of times with a stubby pencil and of the two tanks I figured we got 15.5 on one tank and 15.8 on another.

One other point of interest. When we got to the hotel we stayed at I had to do a bunch of back and forth and back again to get the truck and trailer into a parking spot. It didn't take very long at all to get the HOT pipe gauge up in the 220/240 range and it did take a while for the pan temps to get to 200.

I think I am going to find who made the 2 low kit for my truck and see if I can get one for Leigh Ann's. I figure if it had 2 low It would back it up with out even giving any throttle.

Hope the above information helps save someone a transmission.
See Ya
Chris