3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

How hot and how long before melt down?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 05:51 PM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How hot and how long before melt down?

I would guess every truck has it's differences. I've heard anywhere from 1200 to 1500 is to hot. How long? 20sec to 2min? Some claim 1600+ is ok 10-15sec.
What is "the" answer?
Old 12-28-2007, 06:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
On big long pulls I could get my STOCK truck to 1400* the new ones run hot....but I dont know what it Too "hot"???
Old 12-28-2007, 09:59 PM

plus is your egt guage going to react in time to show the actual temp within 20 seconds? it takes time for them things to react dont it?

you could be showing 1200* and really be at 1350*, i mean the egt's raise as soon as you stomp on it, but the guage takes a few seconds......... dont it?
Old 12-28-2007, 10:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Timmer
plus is your egt guage going to react in time to show the actual temp within 20 seconds? it takes time for them things to react dont it?

you could be showing 1200* and really be at 1350*, i mean the egt's raise as soon as you stomp on it, but the guage takes a few seconds......... dont it?

I read an article on here (or TDR) where gauges were tested. They were all pretty accurate (if I recall correctly), but they differed greatly in speed of accurate reading. Westach was less than a second. I think Isspro was like 3 or 4 seconds.
Old 12-28-2007, 10:38 PM
Banned

there plenty of other things to consider in a melt down besides heat. It's what may have caused the extreme heat.

Too much timing, too much duration, over spooled turbo ( too much drive pressure ) and a heavy foot all = too much heat and you have ....

Old 12-28-2007, 11:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Boy you mangled that piston Tritont!
Old 12-29-2007, 08:26 AM

Tritont knows a thing or two about egts.
My gauge reacts quickly at wot and will jump to arround 1200*f and slowly climb to 1400*f. For towing I don't like to go above 1200*f. for long and drop back a gear. In the 1320 I don't worry about hitting 1350-1400*f.
Some folks will run higher but I don't like to push the limits.
I believe a lot of folks are damaging their motors trying to make too much hp on the stock hy turbo. The turbine housing on the hy is very small with a very small waste gate and I believe the exhaust is choked down so much you don't get a true reading of egts.
Old 12-29-2007, 03:32 PM

This is an interesting thread... certainly with highly modded trucks you can do a lot of damage. But if "stock" trucks get to 1400 that probably isn't too high. There are millions of CTDs sold as work trucks that don't have gauges and are driven very hard ( probably see 1400 regularly ), yet you rarely hear of a problem with these trucks. In fact compared to the PSD or DMX the Cummins is the strongest, most durable. So I'm thinking as long as you are not past "stock" temperatures you are probably OK ??? I'm no expert... what do you think???
Old 12-29-2007, 03:56 PM
Banned

What happens when you melt the thermocouple probe off in the manifold? Is this too hot .
Old 12-29-2007, 03:59 PM
Banned

We had a guy come in a few weeks ago customer of another shop they couldnt figure out for the life of them why the guage wouldnt work. We popped the hood to check the thermocouple wire nothing wrong. I decided to pull the thermocouple probe just to see if that might be the sourse. Sure enough nothing was their it had im guessing melted down and went through the turbo,. Needless to say the guy from that shop that told him he didnt need to worry about egt's was wrong.

Too answer your post I have always seen 1600 as super hot but acceptable for short bursts no more then 10 seconds.
Old 12-29-2007, 04:16 PM

If you think about like a cutting torch. It takes quite awhile at 2000+ degrees to get even 3/8" steel hot. A lot longer than you'd think anyway. The heat has to build up and stay to start melting. At short bursts or at a 1/4 mile run your not letting the heat build and stay for near long enough.
Old 12-29-2007, 04:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by NYTCTD
This is an interesting thread... certainly with highly modded trucks you can do a lot of damage. But if "stock" trucks get to 1400 that probably isn't too high. There are millions of CTDs sold as work trucks that don't have gauges and are driven very hard ( probably see 1400 regularly ), yet you rarely hear of a problem with these trucks. In fact compared to the PSD or DMX the Cummins is the strongest, most durable. So I'm thinking as long as you are not past "stock" temperatures you are probably OK ??? I'm no expert... what do you think???
This may be true if you are on the stock software in the ECM. It has safety built in to where it will defuel before damage is done or adjust parameter accordingly.

Once you load a aftermarket software or install a fuel box that doesn't have fail safes, you are your own defueler

The slug I posted above was in a stock truck with a stock turbo. It went for a " short burst " down the 1/4. Too much programming and too heavy a foot got the egt's way up there and boom !
Old 12-29-2007, 04:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by kuhkuhkyle
If you think about like a cutting torch. It takes quite awhile at 2000+ degrees to get even 3/8" steel hot. A lot longer than you'd think anyway. The heat has to build up and stay to start melting. At short bursts or at a 1/4 mile run your not letting the heat build and stay for near long enough.
That depends on what electronics or programmer you're running too. Things can get real hot in the short distance.
Old 12-29-2007, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by tritont
That depends on what electronics or programmer you're running too. Things can get real hot in the short distance.
Very true... There's a lot of variables. Ty, weren't you also running the "melt a piston" TST tune? I wish i could get a TST to work on my truck.
Old 12-29-2007, 05:01 PM
Banned

yes I was but, the melted piston TST tune was only if you went over 2/2 which I never did. Also, the TST worked on some trucks and not others. My truck was one that it worked on and I ran it for 6 months before the melted down. That just happen from getting too happy at the track

Quick Reply: How hot and how long before melt down?