3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

How to get rid of P 0299 code??

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 03:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bighornram
Sounds like a boost leak by how you describe the sound and that would also explain the low boost code. Check the intercooler boots/ends. I think in 05 they were using plastic ends on the intercooler. Not sure maybe someone else will speak up.
intercooler checked, the WOOSH is coming from around the turbo area, ill make a vid tomorrow.
Old 11-11-2007, 08:56 PM

Viking

I have seen this code on many trucks using downloaders.(mine included) I have talked to several different people at HTT and they say its the downloader. I have talked to Bob Wagner and he says its the turbo. Mine seems to happen mostr of the time when pulling. My truck is as listed. So Im watching to see what you find.
Old 11-12-2007, 01:58 PM

ok, do I have a turbo/exhaust leak or what??

When I drive normal, like 7lbs, im at 800EGTs, as soon as I punch it, like 17lbs of boost my EGTs get to 1200 at only 17lbs and NO ELEVATION. Now its starting to feel like its NOT pulling, I cant even wait for hit to boost at 30 bc the EGTS get way too high and engine temp gets to 208 in matter of seconds, whats goin on?
Old 11-12-2007, 02:24 PM

Did you drop your trubo to drill the manifold for EGT? If so, you may be loosing the gasket between the collector and the turbo flange which would cause a woosh sound and loss in boost which would equal higher than normal EGT.

You might also inspect the turbo for cracks, etc. It seems some have experienced that on the stocker before. Any way you look at it, it sounds like you are loosing boost from somewhere. It's gotta be the turbo, piping or the IC.
Old 11-12-2007, 02:27 PM

Are you blowing more smoke than normal? How's your oil level? It sound like it could be a boost leak or a bad injector.

if these are fine, it could be a bad MAP. Use MAP cleaner on both MAPs (by the intake filter & on the intake manifold).
Old 11-13-2007, 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by staarma
Did you drop your trubo to drill the manifold for EGT? If so, you may be loosing the gasket between the collector and the turbo flange which would cause a woosh sound and loss in boost which would equal higher than normal EGT.

You might also inspect the turbo for cracks, etc. It seems some have experienced that on the stocker before. Any way you look at it, it sounds like you are loosing boost from somewhere. It's gotta be the turbo, piping or the IC.
no, I didnt drop the turbo, sounds like its coming from the BHAF. ill take some pics and make some vids tomorrow
Old 11-13-2007, 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by tesla440
Are you blowing more smoke than normal? How's your oil level? It sound like it could be a boost leak or a bad injector.

if these are fine, it could be a bad MAP. Use MAP cleaner on both MAPs (by the intake filter & on the intake manifold).
i actually did notice more black smoke, havnt checked the oil level. I have a BHAF intake and it sounds the sound is from there for some reason. Bhaf has been on for over a year now, about 30k miles on it +. Where exactly is this MAP sensor.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:31 AM

It's by the fuel rail on the driver's side on top of the intake plane. It was the connector that the Juice went to besides the three injector connectors.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:33 AM

It's by the fuel rail on the driver's side on top of the intake plane. It was the connector that the Juice went to besides the three injector connectors.
so with the juice connected, clean the connectors? what do I use to clean it with?
Old 11-13-2007, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by VikingDiesel
so with the juice connected, clean the connectors? what do I use to clean it with?
Nope, disconnect the Juice and "unscrew" the MAP sensor from the intake plane. Once you do that use some friendly cleaner to clean it with. There is cleaner available that is actually meant for MAP and IAT sensors. I would recommend using that. Just ask the parts store guys for some.

Is your truck storing any codes? Do you know about the key cycling to see what codes if any are being stored?
Old 11-13-2007, 03:55 PM

Nope, disconnect the Juice and "unscrew" the MAP sensor from the intake plane. Once you do that use some friendly cleaner to clean it with. There is cleaner available that is actually meant for MAP and IAT sensors. I would recommend using that. Just ask the parts store guys for some.

Is your truck storing any codes? Do you know about the key cycling to see what codes if any are being stored?
My dealer cleared the code and the code never came back:

Here are some pics of the turbo and a vid, could it be the dirty BHAF??:

Both of those connectors I pull off?

Old 11-13-2007, 04:36 PM

I don't see anything obvious. Does the noise you're talking about in the video sound like a dog barking but just muffled a bit? Did you mar the turbo like that getting the ring out or something?

I guess at this point I would be looking at the IAT at the cold air intake and the MAP on the intake plane. I would clean both and see where that gets you.
Old 11-13-2007, 04:42 PM

Have you checked your oil/coolant recently? I'm thinking head gasket could be suspect as well for what you are saying.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:05 PM

oil level perfect, dog barking was my doberman barking, the turbo has gotten LOUDER (swoooosh noise) like air is leaking from somewhere and now it wont even boost past 25 and even if it dide, EGT goes to 1200 in matter of seconds and eng temp goes to 206 +
Old 11-13-2007, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by VikingDiesel
dog barking was my doberman barking,
lol, that's awesome.

Do you have plastic end tanks? Early 05's had those. What you could do is buy a chunk of PVC pipe that would go into the charge air pipe where your turbo would normally go and then screw a shrader valve (tire valve stem) into that and air it to about 20 PSI and look for leaks along the whole IC tract. If you don't find any then the only other place, besides the turbo itself, it could be lekaing at is the manifold at the exhaust valve or the collector/turbo flange.

Quick Reply: How to get rid of P 0299 code??