3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

how does my build sound?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 11:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i was reading about some of the injector problems when running the higher pressure. Was under the impression that short periods at high pressure where ok, but constant daily driven use will cause injector issues. Does the smarty have any pressure abilities?

also if I did look at getting an aftermarket turbo, what would be a good size to upgrade to?
Old 09-20-2009, 11:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by User Name:
i was reading about some of the injector problems when running the higher pressure. Was under the impression that short periods at high pressure where ok, but constant daily driven use will cause injector issues. Does the smarty have any pressure abilities?

also if I did look at getting an aftermarket turbo, what would be a good size to upgrade to?
You're correct on what you have read. I figured since you fully daily drive you either would want the pressure all the time or none. The Smarty doesn't add pressure over stock, but the way it ramps it up is the difference. It will use the pressure quicker up to its stock limit on the cp3.

on the turbo, assuming you want as close to stock spooling as possible, the HTT 62/65-13 ss would be the prime candidate IMO. Many would agree.
Old 09-20-2009, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by rip 112
You're correct on what you have read. I figured since you fully daily drive you either would want the pressure all the time or none. The Smarty doesn't add pressure over stock, but the way it ramps it up is the difference. It will use the pressure quicker up to its stock limit on the cp3.

on the turbo, assuming you want as close to stock spooling as possible, the HTT 62/65-13 ss would be the prime candidate IMO. Many would agree.
would this specific turbo feed enough air for flux 1.8 or 2's? if i stayed with flux 1's and upgraded the turbo would i see a decent gain in power and or lower egt's?
Old 09-20-2009, 12:28 PM

Yes it would be enough. Here in Texas i think you'd be gravy with egts. I'm about 90miles west-northwest and my egts are prime, never see over 1350* even towing. You will notice a stronger mid and top range with a slight bit of lag down low. With the right fueling and programming which you will have you can def make it a perfect contender.
Old 09-20-2009, 01:21 PM

i may look into some flux 1.6 injectors along with an upgraded turbo. My only reasoning into not going that route would be the 5-6k cost of any upgraded tranny which might be a must with that much power. as it stands with the flux 1's i think id be fine with an upgraded TC, VB, and flexplate, maybe a billet input shaft.
Old 09-20-2009, 02:15 PM

Honestly brother you're gonna need a tranny anyways even with your first list. If i were you I would be making that 48re a priority. You'll be glad you did when it holds all you want to throw at it.

Also if I were you, I'd be doing most of these mods one by one, unless its better to do things in conjunction. This will give you a better perspective of your truck and what it likes the most. It will also help you single out things when something may go wrong. This is just my opinion, I did many of my mods one at a time and it gave me a new perspective of my truck each time.
Old 09-20-2009, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by rip 112
Honestly brother you're gonna need a tranny anyways even with your first list. If i were you I would be making that 48re a priority. You'll be glad you did when it holds all you want to throw at it.

Also if I were you, I'd be doing most of these mods one by one, unless its better to do things in conjunction. This will give you a better perspective of your truck and what it likes the most. It will also help you single out things when something may go wrong. This is just my opinion, I did many of my mods one at a time and it gave me a new perspective of my truck each time.
thats the way i plan on doing things. add one part at a time. I think the next thing i get will be my fuel pump, then start on the transmission parts