3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

How do I...............

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 11:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do I...............

............get the box off my truck to install my AD150? Dropping the tank is not an option.

I'll be doing this myself for a few hours after work every night for the next bit until finished. Truck is in the garage - I have a company truck to drive to work so leaving it is no issue. However, I don't have any fancy lifts or anything.
Old 06-15-2008, 11:30 PM

Remove all the bolts then get a couple buddies to help you remove the bed.
Old 06-15-2008, 11:37 PM

I'd love to, but I'm a one man show on this one. All buddies are currently out of town away at work right now. My Dad is away as well. My neighbors are elderly. My Uncle is puny and my brother's wife doesn't let him out t play during the week - whipped.

So, of all times..........this is what I'm up against. I have three people - me, myself, and I.........not necessarily in that order either.
Old 06-15-2008, 11:42 PM
alwaysonDTR

i think a harbor freight engine hoist would work,
or you could unbolt it then go fast and turn,right or left
Old 06-15-2008, 11:51 PM

Ok well then I would rig up a pully system or come along from the rafters and use rope to go from the stake pocket holes to the center of the bed and lift it like that or find a way to just lift the one side enough to get the job done. Tell me what you have to work with and I'll think of something that will work.
Old 06-16-2008, 12:03 AM

I was in the same situation a week ago. I was doing my AD150 install and I didn't want to drop the tank and risk the 1/4 tank issues. I had a hoist available but as a one man show it was just way easier to drop the tank. Time was a factor for me, plus my low fuel light was on. This helped my decision. I've run it to the E with no probs yet.

FWIW a guy at work used a floor jack with a 6x6 block of wood to jack up the bed and then put blocks between the bed and the frame when he had enough room to work. Personally I'd have been a little nervous.

Dave
Old 06-16-2008, 12:14 AM

I say you would be better off removing the tank. The bed is heavy and bulky. Go burn some fuel and remove the tank. Just make sureit's clost to MT and use a jack pref. a trans jack works pretty well.

If I didn't decide to go in from the top I'd just use the wooden blocks. It's nearly impossible to crush a wooden block. I put a 300 ton crane up on wooden pads the other day on concrete and they didn't leave a mark. Just loosen the bed bolt and jack up one side if you're set on not dropping the tank.
Old 06-16-2008, 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by THEDIESELMAN
Ok well then I would rig up a pully system or come along from the rafters and use rope to go from the stake pocket holes to the center of the bed and lift it like that or find a way to just lift the one side enough to get the job done. Tell me what you have to work with and I'll think of something that will work.
I have rafters but they are split in the middle and held together with that sheet stuff (the previous owners didn't build it very well), enough rope and nylon straps to hang myself a thousand times over, a small bottle jack, 2 1/2 ton floor jack, and wood blocks.

I thought about lifting from the rafters as well, but a little leary on leaving it that way for three or four days. I've also thought about the engine hoist idea, but I do have to get around the front of truck to my tools. Trust me, every viable idea I've thought of has come around to bite me about something that thwarts it.

I even thought of loosening the passenger side bolts only and lift the driver's side up, but something is going to bend for sure.

I just need a longer garage - then lift and roll truck forward.
Old 06-16-2008, 12:25 AM
alwaysonDTR

if you drive way is flat oull it off with the hoist out side then put the truck inside to do the work
Old 06-16-2008, 10:58 AM

Do you have any trees in the yard? Equal lenth ropes from all four corners and rachet strap to a branch.... Just lower it down on some saw horses while you work on the truck...
Old 06-16-2008, 11:08 AM

I dont know what kind of time frame you have, but I will be home next week and I would be glad to give you a hand to lift it off, I'll even round up a few buddy's.
Old 06-16-2008, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by MegaMagoo3500
I dont know what kind of time frame you have, but I will be home next week and I would be glad to give you a hand to lift it off, I'll even round up a few buddy's.

Thanks. I will keep this in mind come closer to the weekend. In the meantime, I'll see what I can come up with.
Old 06-16-2008, 08:37 PM

OK, I'm stupid, what's a AD 150?
Old 06-17-2008, 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by Bearwhiz
OK, I'm stupid, what's a AD 150?
AD= "AIR DOG", 150= the 150 gal./hr model. It is an aftermarket fuel system.

The reason I have to remove the bed for my install as opposed to dropping the tank, is I have some funky ideas about my install that requires the tank to stay in the same configuration as is until I get my ideas sorted out as to what will work and what won't.
Old 06-17-2008, 12:22 AM

I had about 4 or 5 people help me lift my bed off. its just easier I think after you get the bed off instead of trying to mess with the wiring and the drawstraw to just remove the bed. if you can get access to a crane and have some sawhorses setting around it would be helpful. there are a couple torx headed screws around the gas door, one ground strap running to the cab from the bed and 6 bed bolts. 53 ****** put a really nice write up on here on how to do this. you have to remove the tailights and take the wiring out for them also to get the bed off. its really not that bad at all just take your time and do it right. look for the write up on here it will help you alot