3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

HOw to beat a duramax

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2005, 05:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MR4WLR
Ahh but there are several twinned Dmax's now. Aint that right Juice.
Yup

IdahoCTD really did come through for us!

And my DMX does tow for a living. To say it can't handle it is just more DMX bashing.
Old 09-10-2005, 08:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WildBill
Mike S - who cares if you ran over an Edge equipped truck! They had a juice module for 500 bucks or so, and youve spent thousands on modifications, that should be like taking candy from a baby, and yet you're all proud of yourself, you sound like those Ford guys who have blind brand loyalty. I have owned an IDI Ford, a DMAX, and now my 12V. The Chevy was the best built and driving truck of all three, the only reason I got rid of it was the payments. I bought the Dodge only because it was cheap and it's paid for. My Dmax ran 14's in the quarter with just a module, intake, and exhaust and got 21 mpg on hwy trips 2500 4x4 EC LB, NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT
It is a ad day when you get a grumpy old man who thinks he knows everything and you can't have a intelligent conversation without lashing out, sit back do a little reading and learn something WildBill.....
Old 09-10-2005, 08:50 PM

Yeah i was going to say, I dont want a bashing war here. the dmax seems strong, and there in a few medium duty truck, the 4500 5500 and 6500 series gm medium trucks, Anyway. life is good, i appreciate the usable info, i didnt buy my truck to race, but if people didnt change their vechiles at all then there wouldnt be an after market. I believe the dmax is strong, but thats fine, i know my truck does it all all day every day. So life is good, and i get a solid front axle haha
Old 09-11-2005, 02:14 PM

Mike S - are you the grumpy old guy? cause I'm not old, and I only get grumpy when people make me that way My point was that this is a fairly friendly, educated board compared to some of the others, especially the Ford boards where if somebody has and opionion (those are ok to have, right?) that differs from the general consensus, they get flamed by their brand brothers, and they are resistant to change or the idea that someone else may have a good idea or a truck that just might be better than theirs. You reacted strongly to someone else in this thread giving facts about a Chevy outpulling a Dodge, like that was not possible. Sorry to get on your bad side, we all have opinions and viewpoints, and that is why I read these boards! I wasn't trying to attack you personally, just question your need to boast about beating a truck with probably a lot less money it it than yours. There will always be somebody with a better/faster/quicker/bigger truck. I don't appreciate the personal attack. Lets just stick to having fun with our diesel trucks. By the way, I have enough experience and education (hands on and classes) to teach classes on automotive topics since I haved worked in the automotive trade since I was 13. Maybe that's why you think I'm an old guy, since I've been in the automotive business for 23 years? Heck, I've forgot more than most non-technician people will ever learn, that's why I keep my manuals and notes handy, nobody can know it all, even if some think they do!
Old 09-11-2005, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by WildBill
Mike S - are you the grumpy old guy? cause I'm not old, and I only get grumpy when people make me that way My point was that this is a fairly friendly, educated board compared to some of the others, especially the Ford boards where if somebody has and opionion (those are ok to have, right?) that differs from the general consensus, they get flamed by their brand brothers, and they are resistant to change or the idea that someone else may have a good idea or a truck that just might be better than theirs. You reacted strongly to someone else in this thread giving facts about a Chevy outpulling a Dodge, like that was not possible. Sorry to get on your bad side, we all have opinions and viewpoints, and that is why I read these boards! I wasn't trying to attack you personally, just question your need to boast about beating a truck with probably a lot less money it it than yours. There will always be somebody with a better/faster/quicker/bigger truck. I don't appreciate the personal attack. Lets just stick to having fun with our diesel trucks. By the way, I have enough experience and education (hands on and classes) to teach classes on automotive topics since I haved worked in the automotive trade since I was 13. Maybe that's why you think I'm an old guy, since I've been in the automotive business for 23 years? Heck, I've forgot more than most non-technician people will ever learn, that's why I keep my manuals and notes handy, nobody can know it all, even if some think they do!
WildBill I did not react strongly about the Dmax out pulling the dodge all I was stating was that the Allison will put the power to the ground much better than the 48RE stock, if I came across that way it was unintentional but I do stand by what I said about the Cummins being the better pulling motor, I use mine for pulling 90% of the time and believe me I know 1st hand how fast these Dmax's can be, the Dmax I was talking about beating was wanting to try his luck against me NOT me against him, fuel is to expensive for that. I apologize about the personal attack. Mike
Old 09-11-2005, 02:49 PM

Mike - I agree totally about the Cummins pulling better, that is why I bought mine, I like the nice grunt at 1600-1800 rpms when you throttle up, and long term durability you just can't beat an inline six, mine has just over 300K on it, and seems primed for a lot more. Thanks for the response
Old 09-11-2005, 10:45 PM

Now im cummins loyal, but i still havent figured out why you guys think the d-max's will outdo a cummins? Do any of you go to big diesel shows like Scheid or Thunder in IRP? I do agree a d-max is hard to beat in a street class with stock turbo's, but all out competition, the cummins is always on top. Racing, pulling, or whatever. I would definatley be buying a d-max i fthe cummins weret around, but it is, and that is what ill have till they get rid of it. Just wait till they put the 6.7 cummins out All these years we have been at a displacement disadvantage, which didnt matter, because we dont need the extra, but if we get another .8 litres, they better watch out. No more Mr. nice guy. I wrote a little thing a while back about my cousins 03 d-max against my cousins 04 dodge. D-max, has a cold air intake, dodge is bone stock; both with automatics.We didnt run them side by said, but the cummins/48re definatley without a doubt had more pull all the way through than the d-max. Especially in overdrive.Sure felt like it would pull a load better to me. I think the 48re is a pretty good tranny, but it does need another gear and a little better coverter to be as good as an allison. Stock for stock, i think there isnt much difference either way, and modified with only boixes, i dont know that there is much difference either. John Rodriguez on here is running like a 13.5 with 2 boxes stacked/nitrous, and a stock automatic. I think even without the nitrous it would run that if the tranny was built, so say what you want, but there isnt a lot of difference mod for mod, and the CTD will last longer.

Eric
Old 09-12-2005, 12:18 AM

just do the basic weak spots on the ctd and there is no race, i race my truck probobaly a dozen times a summer just for kicks, and not seen one in all my time even come close to the big dodges....