3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

HOw to beat a duramax

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2005, 07:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have you ever owned a Duramax? Yes, I own 2 dodge cummins to compare it to. My father's duramax pulls ever bit as good as my 2004 3500 and my 98 12 valve. All three of them have been turned up. He's only got 123k on it but I see no problem with it lasting over 350k. It's used in dirt construction pulling backhoes and track loaders everyday.

I get tired of people talking crap. No doubt the cummins is great but the duramax seems to holding up well too. Just my thoughts boys. Go ahead and flame away
Old 09-10-2005, 07:36 AM

Until Dodge put a real automatic with a respectable torque converter, the cummins abilities will never be realized by the non-BOMBing public. Maybe someday DC will see the light. But until then, I'll just enjoy my little 6cyl.
Old 09-10-2005, 08:46 AM

Very true Blue... Until Dodge realizes that the 48RE is the weakest link then the battle will always favor the Dmax. If you are serious about wanting to beat a Chev then the first place to look at is the tranny. You have to get all that extra HP to the ground and not waste it with a power loosing tranny. This is one of the reasons I have yet to get a box for my newest 04.5 because I am patiently waiting to do the tranny first.
Old 09-10-2005, 10:00 AM

All I know is that I about ran over a Edge equipped white 03 Dmax yesterday morning heading up I-25 and I did not even have my boxes turned up....
Old 09-10-2005, 10:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mike S
All I know is that I about ran over a Edge equipped white 03 Dmax yesterday morning heading up I-25 and I did not even have my boxes turned up....

Can I get some of that???
Old 09-10-2005, 11:35 AM

On our way back from Oregon we had to climb the Grapevine going South. My buddys D-Max was @23,500 GVW to my 20,500 GVW and he blew by me on that 6%+ grade. He had more power with the Edge @ level 1 and the Allison. My truck was stuck @ 52mph and the tranny wouldn't downshift into 2nd and couldn't accelerate in 3rd. He was in 3rd (our 2nd 1/2) and pulled on me like I was standing still. You don't have to like it, but get over it.
Old 09-10-2005, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by ASHNBAK
On our way back from Oregon we had to climb the Grapevine going South. My buddys D-Max was @23,500 GVW to my 20,500 GVW and he blew by me on that 6%+ grade. He had more power with the Edge @ level 1 and the Allison. My truck was stuck @ 52mph and the tranny wouldn't downshift into 2nd and couldn't accelerate in 3rd. He was in 3rd (our 2nd 1/2) and pulled on me like I was standing still. You don't have to like it, but get over it.
Get over what???? What you are talking about is a tranney issue not a engine issue there is no doubt that the Allison is better than the 48RE, but you cannot logically state that a V8 diesel is going to out pull a inline 6 diesel, it is all on how they each get the power to the ground. Now with that said I wonder if anyone has actually put to the test a Cummins with just a built tranney and similar hp Dmax with a built tranney no other mods and pull a grade loaded, but even then the Allison has the edge with more gears.
Old 09-10-2005, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Mike S
Get over what???? What you are talking about is a tranney issue not a engine issue there is no doubt that the Allison is better than the 48RE, but you cannot logically state that a V8 diesel is going to out pull a inline 6 diesel, it is all on how they each get the power to the ground. Now with that said I wonder if anyone has actually put to the test a Cummins with just a built tranney and similar hp Dmax with a built tranney no other mods and pull a grade loaded, but even then the Allison has the edge with more gears.
I think the original thread was how to beat a D-Max (they come in GM trucks!) not how to beat a Cummins! The Chevy/GMC TRUCKS will beat the Dodge TRUCKS every time. After researching for over a year and driving many trucks, you can see what I purchased. Again, you don't have to like, but get over it!
Old 09-10-2005, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by ASHNBAK
I think the original thread was how to beat a D-Max (they come in GM trucks!) not how to beat a Cummins! The Chevy/GMC TRUCKS will beat the Dodge TRUCKS every time. After researching for over a year and driving many trucks, you can see what I purchased. Again, you don't have to like, but get over it!
There is no getting over anything I am not bad mouthing ya, there are some freaking quick Dmaxs (Chev/GMC) out there but there are also some very, very impressive Cummins (Dodge's), in stock form you have a point but modified is a totally different story.
Old 09-10-2005, 12:36 PM

Mike S - who cares if you ran over an Edge equipped truck! They had a juice module for 500 bucks or so, and youve spent thousands on modifications, that should be like taking candy from a baby, and yet you're all proud of yourself, you sound like those Ford guys who have blind brand loyalty. I have owned an IDI Ford, a DMAX, and now my 12V. The Chevy was the best built and driving truck of all three, the only reason I got rid of it was the payments. I bought the Dodge only because it was cheap and it's paid for. My Dmax ran 14's in the quarter with just a module, intake, and exhaust and got 21 mpg on hwy trips 2500 4x4 EC LB, NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT
Old 09-10-2005, 02:21 PM

I have been a Mopar guy all my life. I bought a Dodge because I like Dodges. I have a six speed so I can't comment on the autos' but my brother has one and they suck. Until Dodge puts a competitive tranny in their trucks, they will always fall last in the market. As soon as they put a good shifting strong tranny behind the Cummins, they will have an unbeatable combo! Hopefully that is soon. Then the Dodges will be able to beat a Duracrax!!!!!!
Old 09-10-2005, 02:38 PM

Yes, i guess i cant say that i planned on my truck being "stronger" than his. I mean i know i have better reliabity. but over all from what ive ever seen teh dmax is awesome. I too researched for over a year and ended up with my dodge diesel. I enjoy it much. But being the bigger/older brother gotta try and s tay on top :P
Old 09-10-2005, 04:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I didn,t buy my dodges to race i bought them to work. I've owned 6 all them have been 3500's 12v to the newer motor. i've got a 2500 for a toy. I was a chevy man until i pulled with a ctd. i've talked to guys with the dmax and have not been impressed enough with what they have said to want one until they get a real diesel in them. Meaning no glow plugs and an inline motor. i have a large truck also it doesen't have any glowplugs none of them do. My trucks tow about 80% of the time and avg. 4k miles per month. Last one had 270k when i traded it. The loads avg about 5 to 6 tons and go up to 10 tons, this motor has been the only motor that does what it is suppose to do even stock. When a dmax owner tells you that he would haul the weight that your hauling because his motor wont take it then that should tell you something, plus these are med duty motrs unlke the dmax and psd who were developed for light duty and then moved over to some heavy duty trucks . My obersvation from someone who works his trucks and doesn't care about 1/4 speeds only the 1000 mile hauling, cuz i only get bpaid by the mile not the times
Old 09-10-2005, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by BigBlueDodge
..........Add to this that the Duramaxes are making this power using a limited set of aftermarket parts. Those guys nearly wet themselves when ATS came out with a bigger turbo. No telling what they'll do if someone can put out a set of twins. They don't have the choices for aftermarket injectors, cams, pistons, etc like we do with the Dodges.
Ahh but there are several twinned Dmax's now. Aint that right Juice.
Old 09-10-2005, 05:18 PM

The way to beat a Duramax is to spend more money...plain and simple. Everyone has heard that old saying that money=speed. Well it's true. But I gotta agree with some of the guys here who say if your looking for speed then maybe a sports car is for you and not a diesel truck. They are meant for work. Anyway if you got beat it is time to upgrade...plain and simple.

Quick Reply: HOw to beat a duramax