3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

HOw to beat a duramax

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2005, 08:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HOw to beat a duramax

Im sure its been covered, and just from the test drive im sure this 02 duramax will beat my 04 600 in a race, and from driving with others might even out pull me. My question is how do you beat one? I mean you can put a box on but then they do and they should be faster and stronger again, then you do the injectors, and they do it and once again behind. Is it possible to actually out perform them?
Old 09-08-2005, 08:12 PM

Talking

yep race to 1 million miles
Old 09-08-2005, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by rich2500
yep race to 1 million miles

That is awesome!, and so true!
Old 09-08-2005, 08:18 PM

The only Duracraps out runnin' the Cummins... are the one's that are scared the Cummins will hook up to them and pull em around town and still get mid teen fuel mileage. Plain and simple... they will not out pull the Cummins. I've seen plenty of modded Dodges smokin the doors off of the modded chev/ferds. Go check out some truck pulls......... I have yet to see a DC/PC out pull a cummins. I have pulled my friends 05 F350 4X4 backwards with his in 4X and mine in 2. Same with an 04 Duramin. If they want to race, which by the way is NOT what these truck where designed to do.... strap a 12K load on em and watch them in you mirror.
Old 09-08-2005, 08:24 PM

I've been hearing that the new alison trannies are not holding up well to upgrades. Could just be the rumor mill churning.
Old 09-08-2005, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by Ramasaur
The only Duracraps out runnin' the Cummins... are the one's that are scared the Cummins will hook up to them and pull em around town and still get mid teen fuel mileage. Plain and simple... they will not out pull the Cummins. I've seen plenty of modded Dodges smokin the doors off of the modded chev/ferds. Go check out some truck pulls......... I have yet to see a DC/PC out pull a cummins. I have pulled my friends 05 F350 4X4 backwards with his in 4X and mine in 2. Same with an 04 Duramin. If they want to race, which by the way is NOT what these truck where designed to do.... strap a 12K load on em and watch them in you mirror.
dunno what to say,i own an 03 max,an 04 psd and an 05 ctd and mod for mod the max will smoke them all even the ctd while towing.and the truck pulls around here the psd s seem to win most,never pulled the chevy or the ctd ,did the psd once but i decided to heck with that too ruff on stuff
Old 09-08-2005, 11:02 PM

The easiest way I would beat a Dmax, would be to just start my truck.))
Old 09-09-2005, 12:06 AM
tcr

I drive a 03 stock max every other day, they are faster w/ same gearing and autos
Old 09-09-2005, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by king d
dunno what to say,i own an 03 max,an 04 psd and an 05 ctd and mod for mod the max will smoke them all even the ctd while towing.and the truck pulls around here the psd s seem to win most,never pulled the chevy or the ctd ,did the psd once but i decided to heck with that too ruff on stuff

This is what im tlaking about. I do watch the truck pulls and the Dmaxes are respectable. I was just hoppin maybe theyd top out at 6-700 hp and then i could get him haha. otherwise i think itll be a 200k race :P
Old 09-09-2005, 04:18 AM

You just need to BOMB your CTD and find a stock DMAX or PS to mess with!!
I know we are all partial to the Cummins but all these trucks are respectable, especially when you start BOMBing them. Then it just comes down to who spends the most money. Hey, at least it's still a diesel, right!!
Old 09-09-2005, 05:31 AM

[QUOTE=kingofdodge7131]Im sure its been covered, and just from the test drive im sure this 02 duramax will beat my 04 600 in a race, and from driving with others might even out pull me. My question is how do you beat one? QUOTE]

Man them are fighting words. I have to drive a D/Max flat bed dually at work which is stock and that slug will not out pull my stock 03. By out pull I mean but two tons on the deck and step on it or pull five tons. Yes the Allison is a good tranny because it has a better converter than the dodge. But my point being to pull as in a load the cummins even stock with 10,000 plus hanging on its tail will OUT PULL. Hey only my hands on experience! Others maybe see it differently
Old 09-09-2005, 06:35 AM

Your best bet would be to start with a tranny upgrade to try a level the field a little. Then start bombing the engine... I have a feeling you would be surprised at the results... I see some guys here running hi-mid 13's in the 1/4 with some bolt ons and tranny mods, and I can't recall alot of chevy's that can get there that easy...

I have no doubt that we can easily make more power (look at alot of dyno day charts), our problem is getting it to the ground efficently.
Old 09-09-2005, 07:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
With my currently mods in my sig I run 13.8s 1/4 about 475rwhp. I have not hooked up with any modded dmaxes at the track yet to know for sure.

I have road in a couple of otherwise stock Dmaxes with just the Edge Juice/Attitude that were very impressive. I don't know how they would hold up on a drag strip with hard 4wd boost launches, but they seemed to get all of the power out of the Juice that it can provide.
Old 09-09-2005, 08:43 AM

You might not want to hear it but the D-Max is one bad SOB. As the name implies I just traded out of my second one into a CTD.

As far as the Allison trannys go, they don't hold up to much extra hp. They slip in O.D. with anything more than 90hp extra. I was stacking a 250 race version TST and a 125 Superchip programmer everyday. It was fine in all gears but O.D.

At the pulls, I pulled my two D-Maxs about 50-75 times, with never less than third place. I did push the stock turbo a bit too far and grenaded it once wich took out the motor at a pull, still got third blowing up. I beat, and got beat, by all variations of hot-rodded Fords and Dodges.

Mileage, I know from experience my two trucks, chipped w/exhaust and intake, got around 17-18 empty driving nice, and 12-13 with a 15,000# load. You have no choice but to drive nice with a load or the trans will go into limp mode.

I traded for a dodge cause I wanted warranty, a solid axle, and a good price. I traded my 04 GMC (See My Pics) with 40k miles, and on its second motor for my new Dodge and there was only $2,500 difference. How does a guy pass up that?

I hate to say it, but I think, chip for chip, no CTD will beat a D-Max. Now, in the race to a million miles, no doubt the Cummins will win, but I race to 300'. I drive there in a million mile truck.

Just my .02, Rant Over.
Old 09-09-2005, 08:20 PM

Let me just tap the breaks on all the Cummins love fest. I drive a CTD and am proud of it, but the reality is that the Duramaxes are doing quite well.

You made mention of the truck pulls and all of the CTD doing well, but you forgot one little point, they are all 1st or 2nd gen Dodge trucks. Most of the Duramaxes are new (ie 2002+). Take a look at Scheids results and see where the newer Dodge trucks are placing compared to the newer Duramax trucks. Electronics have really hampered the Cummins ability to produce the HP/TQ that the 1st and 2nd gen trucks have. The Duramaxes can get to 500-600 HP much cheaper than you can get in a Dodge. There are no less than 6 200+ hp boxes for the Duramax, and only 1 (Crazy Larry) for the Dodge. HP is easy to get in a Duramax, face it.

Add to this that the Duramaxes are making this power using a limited set of aftermarket parts. Those guys nearly wet themselves when ATS came out with a bigger turbo. No telling what they'll do if someone can put out a set of twins. They don't have the choices for aftermarket injectors, cams, pistons, etc like we do with the Dodges.

Last, the Duramax trucks really benefit from the Allison. Say what you will about the Allison defueling in 1st and 5th, but the fact is that the Allison is putting the power to the ground. The CTD suffers from the 48RE.

Plus, don't throw out the old and tired "lets see them aluminum heads last 100K miles" argument, because the fact is who has ever heard of anyone having head problems on the Durmax ? Injectors sure, but heads no.

I love my truck, but in no way wear rose colored glasses. I bought my truck because it is a solid, proven design of an engine that has demonstrated it reliability and durability over the years. Plus it was $7K-10K cheaper than a comporable Duramax equipped truck. I will buy another Dodge again.

Quick Reply: HOw to beat a duramax