3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

How-To '06 Cummin Fuel Pressure Gauge

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2007 | 01:27 PM

I just purchased a tapped banjo bolt from Floor-It and plan on simply replacing the existing fuel line banjo bolt with the tapped version and mounting the transducer directly on the banjo bolt, with no hose.

To use the electric transducer you will need to isolate it using a grease gun hose or a length of rubber hose to buffer it from vibration
Is is necessary to isolate the transducer when mounting it on the CP3? If so, could you explain (i.e. known failures due to vibration, etc.).

I do want to do it right, but don't want to over-engineer it.
Old 11-15-2007 | 01:38 PM
P.J
Banned

I think you could run into premature if you rigid mount it up there.

Anywhere back near the firewall where it could go nicely? Running a piece of hose back there is not a big deal.
Old 11-15-2007 | 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by caldwell2000
I just purchased a tapped banjo bolt from Floor-It and plan on simply replacing the existing fuel line banjo bolt with the tapped version and mounting the transducer directly on the banjo bolt, with no hose.

Is is necessary to isolate the transducer when mounting it on the CP3? If so, could you explain (i.e. known failures due to vibration, etc.).

I do want to do it right, but don't want to over-engineer it.
There were lots of posts about this and Autometer was claiming that they would not warranty the sensor due to premature failure from vibration and pressure spikes. I'm sure the transducer is roughly the same that Di Pricol is using. We don't have to worry about the pressure spikes but we do have to worry about the vibration. Just a short piece of rubber coming off of a pushlock AN fitting right out of the banjo and you should be good to go. Mine never failed so I can't say it failed from personal experience. A lot of guys did post about their problems though.
Old 11-15-2007 | 07:33 PM

Pressure Gauge Installation COMPLETE - WhooHoo

Well, I thought I would close this thread with the results of my install. Once Again, thanks to all of you who helped me with the install. I have final photos to share.

The gauge works great and the truck is running at about 8-9 psi under normal driving conditions and at about 9 at idle. It's great to actually know how things are running.

You will see that I did end up getting a hose built to mount the transducer up near the firewall and to reduce the shock and vibration. Let's hope it lasts for years and years.

1) Gauge and New A-Pillar With Handle:

2) Tapped the CP3 with a Banjo Bolt and added a Hose:

3) Transducer mounted on end of hose near firewall:
Attached Thumbnails How-To '06 Cummin Fuel Pressure Gauge-fp_gauge_in_cab.jpg   How-To '06 Cummin Fuel Pressure Gauge-fp_gauge_cp3_tap_and_hose.jpg   How-To '06 Cummin Fuel Pressure Gauge-fp_gauge_transducer_location.jpg  

Last edited by caldwell2000; 11-15-2007 at 09:17 PM. Reason: change links to attachments
Old 11-16-2007 | 12:00 PM

Looks great, nice job. Just curious why you didn't get one of these for your setup.

Old 11-16-2007 | 06:58 PM

I need one of those. I did not know they existed. Da**it. Where did you get that? How much? I wonder if I could return mine to Geno's. You really just ruined my day. Thanks

Now I will have to unhook all the wires and replumb everything

Now that I look at it, it is missing the handle, which I really like, but could do without, because I hate the velcro that always wants to come loose on my Attitude over time.
Old 11-16-2007 | 07:59 PM
P.J
Banned

Handle smandle, gauge pods are more important.
Old 11-16-2007 | 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by caldwell2000
Well, I thought I would close this thread with the results of my install. Once Again, thanks to all of you who helped me with the install. I have final photos to share.

The gauge works great and the truck is running at about 8-9 psi under normal driving conditions and at about 9 at idle. It's great to actually know how things are running.

You will see that I did end up getting a hose built to mount the transducer up near the firewall and to reduce the shock and vibration. Let's hope it lasts for years and years.

1) Gauge and New A-Pillar With Handle:

2) Tapped the CP3 with a Banjo Bolt and added a Hose:

3) Transducer mounted on end of hose near firewall:
Nice clean job on the install!
Did you have the rubber hose custom made?
I used a grease gun extension hose on mine, but it would be too short for other set-ups that tap in at the injector pump.
Old 11-24-2007 | 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by sdsaw
Nice clean job on the install!
Did you have the rubber hose custom made?
I used a grease gun extension hose on mine, but it would be too short for other set-ups that tap in at the injector pump.
Sorry for the late response. I have been on a week long Carribean Cruise..

Yes. I had it custom made. I have a local company "Thompson Industries" that specializes in connectors and hoses. So, I had them build an 18" hose with the connectors using the 150psi (the lightest material they carry). That should hold up under anything. For under $5.00, I had a custom built, high-pressure hose, professionally crimped. I am very happy with the install, other than the A-pillar. I wish I had known there was one available with the single guage insert + the Edge Attitude insert. I'll probably find one and replace the one I have.
Old 11-25-2007 | 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by P.J
Handle smandle, gauge pods are more important.
Thats why I mounted my gauges on the column. Plus it keeps every jockey who would see gauges on my pillar from trying to race me.

Since my Quadzilla rail pressure gauge(s) keeps crapping out I'm going with a Westach fuel pressure gauge mounted in a bullet cup that will be located in the area below the cubby hole thats below the radio.