3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

"hot side" versus "cool side tranny temps readings

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 02:33 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by timber
Curious.... did they use the "sender extender" that is offered with the gauge kit?
You know, i really couln't tell you; I have not been under there to check it all out yet.
Old 05-17-2007, 02:35 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by kantdrive55
One thing to remember is that the fluid coming out of the transmission is hot. We know that. That is why it goes through a cooler. The return line has cooler fluid because it has been through the cooler, but that is not what the tranny is taking back in. The Pan temperature is ideally the one you want to know. It has the actual temperature of the fluid being introduced back into the transmission. If it is too hot it isnt lubricating the way we want it to. If someone doesnt want to drill and braise in a fitting into the pan you could go with a deep sump pan that is already drilled and setup for a temp probe, plus you are gaining a couple of quarts of fluid to help keep it cooler. Oh yah by the way we sell deep sump pans too.
I know. And I will be getting one as soon as i can upgrade that tranny too.
Old 05-17-2007, 02:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would like to respectively say bull...

"I" would like to most accurately know the hotest temperature my tranny fluid ever reached...since it is the temp itself that indicates the life of the fluid. The other parts of the tranny can take the heat...

The life of fluid at 230-240 degrees is far far less than at 200 or so. The life of the clutches, lines, VB, etc etc etc...is not much shorter at the hotter temp nor either is the "lubricating" properties of the fluid significantly reduced (when new).

If you change your tranny fluid every oil change...maybe the pan is for you!
Old 05-17-2007, 02:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
im waiting on my mag-hytec double deep trans pan.
good way to cool things down a bit.
I also plan on strapping an electric fan to the trans cooler, hook it up to a relay and hook that up to the ignition.
Old 05-17-2007, 02:45 PM

I have asked many transmission shops, including shops that build race trannies, where to put the sensor, and every one of them told me the pan.
Old 05-17-2007, 02:56 PM

Wonder if that has anything to do with "their" deep pan having a temp port in it.

I have had it both places...it is kinda lik ea pre turbo and post turbo EGT gauge...

It gets real boring monitoring post...and having no idea what pre is.

You would be amazed how hot and quick that fluid can get with a ton of power and the converter unlocked. You barley notice when you look at aveage "cooled" temps. JMHO.
Old 05-17-2007, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by kantdrive55
One thing to remember is that the fluid coming out of the transmission is hot. We know that. That is why it goes through a cooler. The return line has cooler fluid because it has been through the cooler, but that is not what the tranny is taking back in. The Pan temperature is ideally the one you want to know. It has the actual temperature of the fluid being introduced back into the transmission. If it is too hot it isnt lubricating the way we want it to. If someone doesnt want to drill and braise in a fitting into the pan you could go with a deep sump pan that is already drilled and setup for a temp probe, plus you are gaining a couple of quarts of fluid to help keep it cooler. Oh yah by the way we sell deep sump pans too.
While all of this is true, it is still best to monitor the fluid as it comes out and heads to the cooler because that will tell you what is going on in your tranny.

Test Mule:, the fluid enters at 100*, and cycles through, does its job, and comes out at 150* and heads to the cooler and that is the norm since day one.

Example 1 (trans probe in the pan) Gauge will read at 100*
Example 2 (trans probe in the line) Gauge will read at 150*

Now, lets say that the TC and clutch pack start to go, we all will agree that it will create heat in the trans and the fluid.

Example 1 (trans probe in the pan) Gauge will read at 100*
Example 2 (trans probe in the line) Gauge will read at 200*

With it in the line and monitoring the highest possible temp, it give you an advanced warning that something is going wrong with the trans.
Old 05-17-2007, 05:55 PM
DTR Advertiser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is very much like the debate on pre or post turbo. You could ask 10 different people and get 10 different answers. We manufacture these transmissions and have for almost 10 years and our techs here prefer pan temp. If you are having problems other than heat related issues you are going to pretty much feel them before you would see them in the temp gauge. But then again that is just an opinion. Not saying Im right, your wrong. Just our opinion here.
Old 05-17-2007, 06:14 PM

The fluid is sucked up by the pump, out to the coolers, and then when it comes back from the coolers, it goes to the valvebody, where it is sent from the valvebody to the apply pistons, and lubrication passages, where it is then drained back to the sump. The only reason you see the higher temperature on the hot line is because that is where the fluid has been pressurized, and pressurizing the fluid is what causes the heat, that, torque converter fluid coupling, normal friction between moving components, clutch slippage during shifts, and clutch slippage during overtorque conditions. My best bet would be to put it in the pan, because when you have a slipping clutch, the first place to get hot would be the pan oil, then the oil that is always getting hot and cold whenever you stomp the pedal to the floor, or release it, which you wouldn't even notice until it is too late. Correct me if I am wrong on anything here.
Old 05-17-2007, 06:16 PM

Oh, and who here has rebuilt their trans themselves, every clutch, snap ring and bolt, one at a time, I have.