3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Homemade Walbro kit

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 10:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jrussell
FWIW, Richard at GDP said he didn't recommend running the Walbro inline due to the high amount of foaming caused by the in-tank pump. He also said he does know of people running them inline without problems...yet.

Can't you add a foam extractor before the pump?
Old 06-13-2007, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by trik396
But you're not going to pull fuel thru the stock pump and line... correct?

If so, that sounds very similar to my setup, without the ball valves. Another guy is running the ball valves like that... pretty slick.. My way and I'm gonna get dirty with diesel. I always seem to get fuel running down my arm and directly into my ear when I change stuff around...
Im adding another pickup... hard part is sourcing the parts. I was going to get the GDP pickup but its $25+$14 shipping Some plumbing shop has to have the parts I need. McCarMaster has all the stuff but they sell in bulk. I dont need 10 T fittings
Old 06-13-2007, 01:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I pieced my together from Rip at SourceAutomotive but it was more money than GDP's setup. He had to pull parts from a FASS kit for me. There was no one doing this back when I did it. There wasn't a GDP at the time either...

btw- I also did the fuel vent mod when I dropped my tank. Very easy to do, very cheap, and now filling the tank with 37+ gallons is VERY quick.
Old 06-13-2007, 02:47 PM

just go to your local speed shop and can a bulkhead elbow -6an......that should worky
Old 06-13-2007, 04:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Once you drop the tank and add the new fuel pickup, run new fuel hose from that to the Walbro. Re-splice your original fuel line on the frame and pull the fuse for the pump relay. If you do it the way I did, you can have a redundant system. If my Walbro ever fails, I just have to swap a few hose clamps/hoses under the truck and replace the fuse and I'm back on the road in about five minutes on the stock pump. I also carry a spare Walbro with me.
Trik your screen name should be McGuiver.
Old 06-13-2007, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by AlCorr
It sure would be nice to see one clean write up with pictures and not all the bull.
No joke. Maybe we can squeeze one out of 8mpg. He did say he would have one in a week or so. Otherwise, we might have to wait on 53willys.
Old 06-13-2007, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by tbarbee1
Trik your screen name should be McGuiver.
I learned it all from places like this and being a gearhead in general...

I'll look thru my pics on my computer and see if I still have some from my buildup. I took pics of pretty much every step from wiring to dropping the tank to the Walbro on the frame. I'll see what I can do...
Old 06-13-2007, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by DECEPTiON21
No joke. Maybe we can squeeze one out of 8mpg. He did say he would have one in a week or so. Otherwise, we might have to wait on 53willys.

I will have it next week... Im just waiting on my filter and filter bases. Im hoping to round up all the fittings tomorrow. Stacked97 and I are going to run and hit up a plumbing shop to see if we cant get all the parts. Then I just hope it doesnt rain Friday. Anyways, I will get the write up of the whole process.
Old 06-14-2007, 06:52 PM

I learned it all from places like this and being a gearhead in general...

I'll look thru my pics on my computer and see if I still have some from my buildup. I took pics of pretty much every step from wiring to dropping the tank to the Walbro on the frame. I'll see what I can do...
Any luck on finding the pictures?
Im kinda curious where you mounted yours, were looking at mounting it between the tank and transfer case on the inside of the frame rail.

We dropped 8mpgs tank today, drilled/installed the pickup, took plenty of pictures...
Hopefully UPS will be dropping off some filters, and the weather will comply for some more work tomorrow...
Old 06-14-2007, 07:10 PM

I have pics but when I try to download them here, it says file to big... On the other forum I have unlimited size and space. I can put them there if you like.
Old 06-14-2007, 07:11 PM

That's right where I mounted my pump. Between the fuel tank and the skid plate for the transfer case.
Old 06-14-2007, 07:22 PM

I have pics but when I try to download them here, it says file to big... On the other forum I have unlimited size and space. I can put them there if you like.
If you have some time, would you mind emailing them to me?

mopar_69_99@yahoo.com

That's right where I mounted my pump. Between the fuel tank and the skid plate for the transfer case.
Cool, thanks
I think thats really the only clear spot there is to mount it, besides the outside of the rail, and that just doesnt sit right with me.
Old 06-14-2007, 10:49 PM

well... stacked97 and I started the write up... We dropped the tank and installed the pickup...hopefully tomorrow we will finish most of it tomorrow. Im still missing my fuel filter bases so might not get to it tomorrow
Old 06-14-2007, 11:01 PM
Banned

Trik... e-mail all your pic's please..... Shane

whisperingwinds.inc@gmail.com

Or tell me the other place you can post them!!

Thanks
Old 06-15-2007, 07:10 AM

Cumminsforum

Quick Reply: Homemade Walbro kit