3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Homemade Walbro kit

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 02:52 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FWIW, Richard at GDP said he didn't recommend running the Walbro inline due to the high amount of foaming caused by the in-tank pump. He also said he does know of people running them inline without problems...yet.
Old 06-12-2007, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by jrussell
FWIW, Richard at GDP said he didn't recommend running the Walbro inline due to the high amount of foaming caused by the in-tank pump. He also said he does know of people running them inline without problems...yet.
Hmmm.

The fuel is foaming coming out of the stock LP? and all the way to the stock filter housing?

I think Ill be running a holley black on mine when I get around to buying a FP guage, fittings, etc... With the lower pressure, shouldnt have to worry as much right?

I think I will however do a pickup as soon as possible, if not at the same time, and maybe do like you did and keep the stock line useable.
Old 06-12-2007, 05:42 PM

Hey I was wondering if anyone could go through the kit and tell me what to buy and how to put it together! I have a vague idea but not a good one! Pic would also help! Thanks!
Old 06-12-2007, 06:23 PM

I put together my own walbro kit, with a check valve I found locally, I have 30 psi at idle, but with my boxes turned up, I can pull pressure down to 0. So I ordered the valve from Richard, and hope to put it in this week sometime.
Old 06-12-2007, 06:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Stacked97
Hmmm.

The fuel is foaming coming out of the stock LP? and all the way to the stock filter housing?

I think Ill be running a holley black on mine when I get around to buying a FP guage, fittings, etc... With the lower pressure, shouldnt have to worry as much right?

I think I will however do a pickup as soon as possible, if not at the same time, and maybe do like you did and keep the stock line useable.
Not sure if it foams coming out of the stock pump, or if the stock pump can't feed the Walbro fast enough and that causes cavitation/foaming. It would make sense since the Walbro is flowing 100% capacity (due to the bypass) and the stocker isn't designed to flow near that much. If that's the case I can see why Richard thinks they might not last when installed inline like that.
Old 06-13-2007, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by jrussell
Not sure if it foams coming out of the stock pump, or if the stock pump can't feed the Walbro fast enough and that causes cavitation/foaming. It would make sense since the Walbro is flowing 100% capacity (due to the bypass) and the stocker isn't designed to flow near that much. If that's the case I can see why Richard thinks they might not last when installed inline like that.
I think we are going to go ahead and end up doing like you suggested, have a pickup/bulkhead like the glacier kit, but still tap into the factory line. At least that way, if the walbro ever failed, you can just swap a hose, flip a switch(going to disable the stock LP with a switch, or connector), and youre back up and running. That way you could still limp the truck home, or drive it around till you can get a new walbro/holley, whatever...
Old 06-13-2007, 09:23 AM

Where the Walbro idea started

Clicky for the fully detailed thread on a DIY Walbro kit.

Implementing the walbro

Check This thread out also
Old 06-13-2007, 09:27 AM

LOL...thats a LONG thread of arguing and what not... but I did read it a couple times
Old 06-13-2007, 09:32 AM

8MPG,

Yes, you have to get your new chit kickn' boots on before you read the thread!!!!!!

Lots and lots of great info, I also should have warned to beware of the flooding of knowledge coming out of those threads..................................
Old 06-13-2007, 09:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow... that is an oldie but a goody...

I had alot of pics on this site and another of my buildup and stuff. Can't find them now... They're out there in cyberspace somewhere...
Old 06-13-2007, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by trik396
Wow... that is an oldie but a goody...

I had alot of pics on this site and another of my buildup and stuff. Can't find them now... They're out there in cyberspace somewhere...
I ended up redoing my idea of the plumbing...Im going to run 2 ball valves and electrical switch. The walbro feed and return lines are going to tap into the stock line and have ball valves to shut the stock pump off and prevent fuel from backflowing off the walbro. Then the elec switch will shut off the stock pump hot wire. This way, if the walbro dies, flip the switch and turn 2 valves and you are up and running again on the stocker.
Old 06-13-2007, 10:19 AM

But you're not going to pull fuel thru the stock pump and line... correct?

If so, that sounds very similar to my setup, without the ball valves. Another guy is running the ball valves like that... pretty slick.. My way and I'm gonna get dirty with diesel. I always seem to get fuel running down my arm and directly into my ear when I change stuff around...
Old 06-13-2007, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by trik396
I haven't heard it mentioned here but are you guys dropping the tank to add another fuel pickup??? I hope you are and you aren't trying to pull thru the stock pump in the tank...

Do I need to drop the tank and install a new fuel line if I don't have the in-tank pump?
Old 06-13-2007, 10:28 AM

No you don't you lucky son-of-a-gun...
Old 06-13-2007, 10:41 AM

It sure would be nice to see one clean write up with pictures and not all the bull.

Quick Reply: Homemade Walbro kit