3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Homemade "torque tube"

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2005, 08:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Homemade "torque tube"

I got the stuff to assemble it yesterday, wasn't able to put it on until today due to work and stuff yesterday. I used the stuff from this link, here . Not my plan, but I was able to recognize a good idea, and proceeded to shamelessly copy it except for painting the pipe. It did require a little adjusting, as the guy says you need one ft. of pipe, when it's actually more like 10" or so (I was just eyeballin it) and the 1 ft. piece I ordered showed up around 15". Other than that went very well, the install was made very much easier using one of those ratcheting box end wrenches. The T-Bar clamps having the bolt stickin out too far for a socket being the reason I needed that. Turbo is loud enough I can hear it all the time now, not obnoxious loud though. I do still have my silencer ring in, so that'll affect noise level I'm sure.

Edit: It was $53.xx delivered, so I saved about $50 doing it myself by the time a guy would pay shipping for one of the AFE ones. Admittedly, it's not nearly so nice looking, but this is more for listening enjoyment than visual appeal. One more thing, does anybody know why they call 'em torque tubes? Near as I can figure, it should just be called a "more turbo noise tube".
Old 03-22-2005, 09:05 PM

I agree with your "more turbo noise tube" description. I removed my silencer ring and replaced just the baffled tube with a section of 5" exhuast piping. Still retained the two factory elbows. 1st muffler shop I went to had a piece of scrap pipe that they cut for me and just handed it over. Freebie! Tossed the guy a few bucks for some beers though. Works great for me...
Old 03-22-2005, 09:06 PM

No place around here that has diesel exhaust stuff in stock though.
Old 03-22-2005, 09:17 PM

Yeah, I pretty much lucked out. This muffler shop special ordered some pipe in for a bus they had to do work on. What was left was a 12 inch scrap that they cut down to like 7 or 8 inches for me.
Old 03-22-2005, 09:41 PM
dgm

Here's what I put in mine yesterday too.

...I hadn't heard it referred to as a torque tube though? Are we talking about the same thing here?

-daniel
Old 03-22-2005, 11:04 PM

Yeah. For some reason AFE calls theirs a "torque tube". I suppose they don't think as many people would buy it if it was called a "more turbo noise for diesel junkies tube."
Old 03-22-2005, 11:40 PM

I have a brand new AFE torque tube if anyone wants it. It is the powder coated metal tube. Just to much noise for me on long drives.
Old 03-23-2005, 08:09 AM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
IA_James...now that you have the "torque tube" it would be very easy to take that stock air box off and replace it with a BHAF.

Deezulsmoke, I sent you a PM.
Old 03-23-2005, 08:47 AM

I found a piece of 5" schedule 40 PVC and cut it to 7" long. Yields a little more turbo noise and cost $2.50.
Old 03-23-2005, 08:52 AM
dgm

Yeah, the alum. in mine runs about $20, but looks alot better than a piece of plastic IMO.

-daniel
Old 03-23-2005, 10:36 AM

Originally posted by Hoss
IA_James...now that you have the "torque tube" it would be very easy to take that stock air box off and replace it with a BHAF.
One thing at a time Hoss, one thing at a time. I got domestic tranquility to maintain. Doesn't mean I don't have any future plans though.
Old 03-23-2005, 10:39 AM

You know....you HAVE to buy a new air filter pretty soon anyway. You might as well get THIS one.
Old 03-23-2005, 11:02 AM

I've been looking at those, trying to figure out a way to actually mount it in there, rather than just flopping around. May just settle for floppage....Not due for a new air filter for about 12k miles yet though, just changed it @ 15k. Maybe all the sand from my upcoming road trip will "plug" it though..
Old 03-23-2005, 11:06 AM
dgm

I was looking at those Duralite filters too. I think their idea of using the large cable ties would work...not real professional looking though.

Anybody here using one of these filters? How do you like it? Any mpg or performance increase?

Is it reusable?

-daniel
Old 03-23-2005, 11:26 AM

Lots of folks use them...and most folks that do pretty much just let them rest in place where the factory air box would be. Dodgezilla uses that filter I know...and there are a plenty others (click link to see his photo gallery). It can't "flop around" too much because if it were any bigger it wouldn't fit.

I don't know what kind of mileage or performance gains the filter alone will give you. It will definitely give your truck more air than the stock filter though (and should last longer as well).

By the way...I just ordered the parts to make my own torque tube.

Quick Reply: Homemade "torque tube"