3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Holly blue or Other??

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 05:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Holly blue or Other??

Ok, here is the deal, i ordered my Vulcan kit in favor that the shop i usually deal with did not have a FASS and was out o stock and was gonna be a couple of weeks. So i got the vulcan relocation kit and it looks like a good Set up. My question is, which pump to use. I hear goos things about the holly blue pump and others. Which do you run? any help would be much apreciated.

O ya, i thought i should change it because i finally got a pressure box to go with the timing and duration boxes i have. So i i Thought i should upgrade everything while im that far into it. Besides, CP3's are not cheap .

thanks everyone
Old 06-09-2006, 07:04 AM

I would look into going with a Walbro, pretty good set up if you ask me. Vane rotary pump, fuel cooled, no brushes to wear out, not noisy, and way long duty cycle.

I bought mine from a vendor on here, and it was a LOT less than the FASS kits. It's a great kit, great lay out, Perfect
Old 06-09-2006, 09:24 AM

Holley blue isnt really rated for diesel. I have heard of people using them and they like them because when they break, they can rebuild them. I personally would just buy a diesel rated pump and never worry about rebuilding the thing..walboro from glacier
Old 06-09-2006, 09:40 AM

Holley Blue

I have run a Blue inline with the stock pump for a year, it works fine so far. But I still need to go to something else since it can't put out the pressure that I need for upcoming mods.
Old 06-09-2006, 09:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Walbro user here. 19-20psi almost always

Holley Blue is good for what it is... a carb pump with carb pressures

We don't have carbs...

And it's pressure capability is nowhere near that of Walbro or others...
Old 06-09-2006, 10:21 AM

Got a Holley Blue inline with the intake pump (had them swap it out).

22-23psi all day long. WOT it might come down to 20.....maybe 19psi with the TST cranked up.

Not a issue in almost 1.5 years, and 40K miles.
Old 06-09-2006, 10:26 AM

Allright most of these so called only gas fuel pumps can be used for diesel.
The Holly series of pumps will work fine for most applications of diesel usage. Problem lies with bad fuel and or to much restriction.

As for the Walbro set up, it works about as well as the Holly does.

No matter what you buy be prepared for it to break down at some point in time. Some may get 10,000miles out of it while others get 100,000 miles.

The nice thing about the Walbro right now is you can buy a whole kit ready to be hooked up. Little to no hassle and fairly cheap.

As for the Holly you have to plum your own system. A little more work but depending on your skill might be the better choice.
Old 06-09-2006, 10:38 AM

I had put the vulcan kit on my old 2nd gen and went through 2 holley pumps with it in just 3 months i think. Then I put a FASS on it. Like said above some pumps will run for a long time and others wont for some reason. Either be patient and get a FASS pump only or that Walbro dont cut corners the first time because it will be expensive the 2nd time. I went with the FASS on the 3rd gen just because i had good sucess with it on the old truck. Just my .02
Old 06-09-2006, 10:40 AM

Thumbs up

Get the Glacier Diesel Kit www.glacierdieselpower.com
Old 06-09-2006, 10:57 AM

Get a FASS HPFP or the Walbro. They will run you about the same money and will be the last time you monkey with the fuel delivery system.
Old 06-09-2006, 11:58 AM

I've run many Holley Blues and Reds on my cars in the past. I think the problem with using them in our application is they are maxed at 14psi and 7psi respectively.
They are running at 100% load all the time on our trucks. This is no benefit to anyone. The Walbro at 20psi is loafing at 25% duty. It should last a very, very long time. So far have over 7000miles on mine without a hiccup...
Old 06-09-2006, 07:24 PM

I have been running the FASS system (150 gph)for about 14 months,it has been trouble free so far.coobie
Old 06-09-2006, 08:40 PM

ok, well i see that everyone has a different opinion, i will look into the FASS pump only or just the walbro pump. i always read about them, i was talking to a friend today and he said that cummins has gone to a up graded pump for the 98.5-02 and he says it seems to work fine for them so far. He is a diesel tech for international. I guess i will look into it a little furthur. I amso heard of people using a chevy FI pump. they look just like the walbro, but super cheap. And the guy diesel shop guy that told me this said that he has had good luck with them. Guys are getting roughly 60-70k out of them before replacemnet. And they are super cheap also.(under $100Can)but i will keep looking. Thanks for the sugetions guys
Old 06-09-2006, 08:53 PM

ok, so which walbro do i use though??? the 392 or the 391. Also do these need a regulator or can they just be used wide open? Would it bee a good idea to get that cap from genos so the filter housing can handle a little more pressure? i will be coming home in a couple days so i wanna get my parts ordered so while in on days off i can install them. thanks for the help, so far im leaning towards the walbro 391, just cause i dont need as much flow compared to others.
Old 06-10-2006, 02:00 AM

so I was also wondering, with the walbro, do u need a regulator with these or are they just a put in and go type? i am kind curious. thanks again

Quick Reply: Holly blue or Other??