3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Holley Black blows fuses but truck still runs???

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2013, 05:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Holley Black blows fuses but truck still runs???

I have the Holley black mounted to the frame rail as so many others do. It is my second Holley-the first was a blue. I have a fuel separator/filter AND a finer filter right after this one. Both of these are before the fuel pump.
I started having problems a few weeks ago with the pump. It would just die. I could see this initially from my fuel pressure gauge inside the truck. The truck doesn't have the stock pump on the filter canister anymore but even with no fuel pump the truck still goes. I've even had highway speeds with zero fuel pressure?? Is there some siphon effect?
Anyway I thought the problem was with the relay connections because I cleaned these, replaced the relay and fuse holder/fuse and the pump worked again for a couple of weeks. Now the pump blows the 10A fuse after a couple of minutes. I've not yet had a chance to put a meter on it and I doubt I will because it just seems like the pump is the culprit.
Should I take it apart and see if there is something going on inside or is this a waste of time?
Should I remove the stock filter from the canister now that I have much better filtration before the pump?
Please help-I'm about stranded without my truck. I have to drive a Honda Odyssey and that makes my Edit.
Thanks
Howard
Hampstead
Old 11-03-2013, 11:04 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
You have a bad pump and need to replace it is what is sounds like. The CP3 will draw fuel on it's own as long as the pump is a flow through design. You can get some stumbling and such.
Old 11-03-2013, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Spooler
You have a bad pump and need to replace it is what is sounds like. The CP3 will draw fuel on it's own as long as the pump is a flow through design. You can get some stumbling and such.
Yes it turned out the pump was shot. I didn't recall but it turns out it was a Holley Blue that I installed. The brushes were completely gone. This pump was only in for 1-1/2 years. I ordered a Volley black which I'll end up using as a spare because I went to Autozone and they had a Mr. Gasket pump that is identical to the Volley blue so I bought it and installed it and it is up running again.
I took the screen out of this pump,I hope this was a good idea because I the pump that went bad had the screen in it. I also took the filter out of the stock canister.
Thanks
Howard
Old 11-03-2013, 04:00 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by ppsi
I took the screen out of this pump,I hope this was a good idea because I the pump that went bad had the screen in it. I also took the filter out of the stock canister.
Thanks
Howard
So does this mean you no longer have any filtration at all? If that is the case...save some time and order your next set of injectors now
Old 11-03-2013, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
So does this mean you no longer have any filtration at all? If that is the case...save some time and order your next set of injectors now
I think he is talking about the screen before the pump. If that is the case, this pump won't last long either. Gotta have a filter before the pump to keep the large chunks out or it will lay siege to the pump bearings and impeller.
Old 11-03-2013, 07:23 PM

Sorry-I thought this information was in the first post. I have two filers mounted to the frame rail of the truck before the pump. They are both Donalson. The first is a filter/separator and the second is a fine filter. I did this after reading of the importance in filtering the fuel before it goes to a Holley pusher. The Holley lasted a little over 1-1/2 years with the filters. Can't imagine how short the life would be without these filters.
Thanks
Howard
Old 11-03-2013, 11:16 PM
"How in the heck do I change the phrase in between my user name and avatar?"

Most pumps in our case work best as a pusher and not a puller. In your case your Holley pump is having to "pull" the fuel through the filters and then push to the CP3. You'd be better off "pushing" all of your fuel through the filter system.

That's my thought on the situation. Other's may have something different to offer. But, yes our CP3's will pull fuel on their own to keep the engine running.......a loss of power will be noticed of course when this happens.
Old 11-04-2013, 07:12 AM

Perhaps this would be best for fuel delivery but, when researching here, it was strongly suggested that fuel be very clean prior to going into a Holley??? Maybe a pump before AND after?
Thanks
Howard
Old 11-04-2013, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by jhenson
Most pumps in our case work best as a pusher and not a puller. In your case your Holley pump is having to "pull" the fuel through the filters and then push to the CP3. You'd be better off "pushing" all of your fuel through the filter system.

That's my thought on the situation. Other's may have something different to offer. But, yes our CP3's will pull fuel on their own to keep the engine running.......a loss of power will be noticed of course when this happens.
Yeap, Run about a 35 micron before the pump to catch the big particles. You don't want a restriction on the suction side. It reduces flow and can cause cavitation issues which will kill your pump.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:53 PM

I have a Walbro 392 with around 70k miles on it and I just run a cheap auto store chrome 3/8 filter before it.
Old 11-05-2013, 07:12 AM

The Mr. Gasket pump seems OK. It is quoted than the Volley but this doesn't matter to me because the truck is straight piped 4" exiting in front of the right rear wheel. I'm getting slightly lower pressure from it a idle but higher pressure at WOT. I suppose reconfiguring the filter(s) may help the pump live longer but I'll put this off until I get the Holley black. One problem I'll have is my filters are in a dual base. I'll have to ditch this and completely reconfigure the filters/separator.
I thought I did my homework before putting this system together so it's frustrating to have to do it over.
I'm thinking about putting an amp meter on the pump to see if there is much difference when it pumps with & without the filters before it. Honestly f there isn't much difference I'll leave it knowing I've got a spare with me.
Are there any diesel rated quick disconnects that people have tried? It would be nice to have the existing and spare pumps fitted with disconnects for when the time comes. They are easy to swap out using the barb fitting I have on now but we all know that a pump will take a dump at the worst possible time.