3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Hmm Silencer ring "is" a option on Holset

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2006, 12:04 AM
rdc
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don''t think anyone is claiming an increase in power. Just an increase in a cool turbo sound.
Old 06-10-2006, 12:11 AM

just removing the silencer ring wont do anything, not even change the sound. You have to take the baffles out of the intake, or just get a whole intake kit. A whole intake kit with the removal of the ring will increase performance and make the turbo scream like a semi turbo.
Old 06-10-2006, 03:11 AM

Str-81

how thick is the wall - I mean from the look of it online it looks kind of thick (as in muffling the sound) but then again it could just be the photo online and the connecting end part..
Old 06-10-2006, 09:35 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by StrokeThisCTD
I removed the silencer ring and didnt notice a thing. removed the white director fins and didnt notice a thing. I took a sawzall to the baffles and made sure i blew at the tube with an air compressor for about 25 minutes before i put it back on to make sure any particles were gone, and turned the truck on. The turbo screams now. Stock filter and removed baffles, removed silencer ring and it sings.

Confused here. Baffles removed, AND removed silencer ring?? NOt sure I follow you. On my truck, I pulled that air intake apart, from the airfilter lid to the turbo, and the only thing in there was a "X". Had to pop apart the tube, pull out the "X" and use silicone to seal the tract back up. What other part is in ther that I did not see or have?????
Old 06-10-2006, 09:55 AM

look at link - not far down the page! its ON the turbo - the metal ring behind the o ring clip! I left the o ring clip in and pulled mine out with channel locks..

http://www.dodgeram.org/tech/dsl/FAQ/turbo_faq.htm
Old 06-10-2006, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by Erik
Does removing this only make the turbo sound louder and/or cooler? Does anyone have a pre and post dyno or some type of data to support removing this for an increase in power? It reminds me of putting playing cards in my bicycle spokes...sounds cooler but no difference in power output or mileage.
Erik

Yea I dyno'd my bike with and without the playing card and there was a noticable increase in performance.
Old 06-10-2006, 10:03 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ckennedy
look at link - not far down the page! its ON the turbo - the metal ring behind the o ring clip! I left the o ring clip in and pulled mine out with channel locks..

http://www.dodgeram.org/tech/dsl/FAQ/turbo_faq.htm

Thanks!
Old 06-10-2006, 11:54 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up loudest turbo whistle

The turbo will sing the loudest when you drive with NOTHING in front of it
Since we'd never subject our CTDs to that abuse, the solution is to use the minimum amount of "stuff" in the air intake/filtration system. I think my solution - the super BHAF - is the best, most efficient design if you're after maximum flow & whistle. Enough dry media filtration for TWO 610s, nothing but the turbo boot/elbow between the Cummins filters and the turbine, and still retains the stock IAT & filter-minder.
Of course, popping the hood is always a jaw-dropper...
Old 06-10-2006, 12:21 PM

I still want to see some photos of the bottom of your wrap drive BHAF setup.. ie: not installed and how the intake plumbs into it..

- maybe in this case some single malt scotch has we see the photos!
Old 06-10-2006, 01:33 PM

cKennedy,

"wrap drive"? Sorry - maybe I'm just slow today...

The stainless steel air filter box mounts directly to the turbine inlet with the stock turbo boot/elbow - it's really pretty straightforward. I need to change the oil & filter, so I'll try to get a shot of the super BHAF on the bench at the same time.
Old 06-10-2006, 02:10 PM

warp drive which in turns wraps around after you have gone to the end of the cosmos! so to become wrap drive .. at any rate...
nice filter
Old 06-10-2006, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by ckennedy
Str-81

how thick is the wall - I mean from the look of it online it looks kind of thick (as in muffling the sound) but then again it could just be the photo online and the connecting end part..
Well on my Air Raid MIT it is just heavy plastic, well built, and it sounds good.

The 5.5" semi truck exhaust I used was, well, the normal thickness of exhaust tubing found on vehicles and trucks.

I could tell no difference in sound really between the two. I just didn't want the exhaust pipe to corrode eventually and send chunks of it screaming down into the compressor blades!
Old 06-10-2006, 09:06 PM

cKennedy - all right! I thought it might be warp factor 10, but I didn't want anyone to know I'm a recovering Trekkie... Spock's my hero!
Old 06-10-2006, 09:09 PM

Silencer Ring.

WHERE'S THE SILENCER RING LOCATED!!! I WAN'T TO TAKE MINE OFF!
Old 06-10-2006, 09:55 PM

Mine fell out shortly after I got the truck.
The only time I hear the turbo is when Im pulling a grade and the engine is working, but Iv still got the "fins " before the turbo also.

Quick Reply: Hmm Silencer ring "is" a option on Holset