3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Hit the rollers today, dissapointed......

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 08:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by onetun
nickle........hey man I'm with you, look at my numbers and then stare at my mods! Dude I was freakin choked when I rolled off the rollers....like guys are saying I can make ----- hp with only this done, it burns my rump to hear and read those kind of numbers are coming from a merely stock units.
I've been advised to hit a dyno jet and see from there, until then I sit at 491hp.
I will be hitting the same dyno in June then a dynojet in July, only changes to my mods Smarty beta tune.

FYI I rolled a 434hp with edge hot juice, 64/12 single, flux2 sticks, modded pump, walbro fuel system.

and now I'm at 491hp with twins, Smarty #9,

onetun
I would tell you to dump the edge and get a TST...run the smarty at a lower setting since anything over #5 does not really change numbers much...the 130 and 170 hp modes just dump fuel and produce smoke. If you could add an mp-8.... you will be ready to go and should break 500 easy. Your set-up should yeild almost 600 depending on what twins you are running. The tst mp-8 stack still makes the most power from what I have seen and is what I recommend unit something new comes about.

Richard
Old 05-29-2007, 11:22 AM

I think that TST's are starting to become passe. I think that alot of guys are starting to realize that they arent everything that they are cracked up to be. None of the real fast trucks run a tst and none of the new big hp guys are going with a tst. I think that a smarty will build more, better hp than a tst personally

Kevin
Old 05-29-2007, 11:41 AM

Thanks for the input guys, this turned out to be a good thread. I'm gonna try a differnet Mustang tonight, I'm also going to try and round up a pressure box of some kind and see how that plays into things. I guess I just need to remind myself of how nicely it pulls my trailer and not get hung up on dyno numbers.

Later, John

Edit; just got off the phone with the local shop, they are gonna give me a pressure box to try for a month to see how I like it. Cool service!
Old 05-29-2007, 11:46 AM

I think of the TST as a Tuning Device and probably will more so with the new Beta Smarty. For daily driving the TST is good to keep things safe with cool down timer, boost and EGT limiter.... for tuning incrementally adjustable timing, rail pressure, plus 9 levels of duration change at two RPM's etc. While the Juice with Attitude is prettier... and some have gotten awesome results with it...it just doesn't give you the ability to fine tune like the TST in good hands can especially with the 3 programs. I don't know what you could do to the TST to make it a better box that can stack with Smarty or anything else that's. If I was given one box to buy knowing what is available ... I'd probably buy the TST again. I love my Smarty but I do love the on the fly adjustability of the TST.

As far as Smarty no good over SW5....get a turbo and a built tranny and you will find out. I can run SW9 with Flux1.5's on the stock turbo....wastegate disabled....with just a little puff of smoke on launch. The stock turbo is fun to abuse. ks
Old 05-29-2007, 12:09 PM
O.T

I'm running the Smarty hot beta and would say nothing more is required for daily driving, towing and smokin' other domestics. This tune has it all.......
minimal smoke, awsome power through the rpm range, pressure, 9 settings......

The piece of mind of dyno numbers becomes irrelevant to me, my truck is very streetable and for the most part I'm first to the top of the hill.......lol

I did most of my mods for the ability to maximize one another. I feel I don't have to many gaps to close up.

onetun
Old 05-29-2007, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by morkable
I think that TST's are starting to become passe. I think that alot of guys are starting to realize that they arent everything that they are cracked up to be. None of the real fast trucks run a tst and none of the new big hp guys are going with a tst. I think that a smarty will build more, better hp than a tst personally

Kevin
I wouldn't say that none of the High HP or Fast guys run the TST. RCCOX uses a TST/EZ (plus drugs) and is at 1176hp, and I am pretty sure Reb.B is using a TST on his 1200+ hp truck.
Old 05-29-2007, 01:37 PM

I stand corrected,, sorry. I know that you can make some hp with tst's. but they just dont seem to go as quick on the track.

Kevin
Old 05-29-2007, 01:38 PM

OH and one thing to think about triple nickle... Mike Drever, dyno'd on GCL's dyno last year before AAB, (which he was running 11.5's) and he only hit 609 HP.

Kevin
Old 05-29-2007, 02:04 PM

Am I reading all of this correctly? Are us 03-04 guys only able to barely break 400hp without going all out on the mods.
Old 05-29-2007, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by morkable

Kevin
Problem with the smarty is you don't get to tune a truck with it. You have 5 programs with and without timing...thats it! I know the beta programs are out and people are turning in some good reviews and I run one myself...but it took Marco a while to get it to run right. The new tst boxes still give you adjustibility on the fly as stated in an above post....lots to play around with. When you have modded cp3(s), sticks, turbo, tranny, and more mods than what I listed, you will NOT find a one is all solution. Now when we have something similar to efi live or a stand alone, then I will say everything else will be obsolete in my opinion. There many combinations to make power in a truck...I just go with what I know works and experiment on my truck so that customers don't need too!

Richard
Old 05-29-2007, 04:09 PM

Um...NO.

I hit 575 2.5 years ago with a BIG single, TST, and a little pressure.

I am not sure what "minimal" means...but I think that is about as minimal as can be.
Old 05-29-2007, 04:24 PM

I really enjoy watching these threads and see people with half the horsepower that the "big guys " make calls on what makes horsepower and whats fast down the track.The tst is hands down the horsepower maker,no other box offers the tunability that it has.As far as the fastest down the track,your right I have not posted a big number.I went for the big power without thinking about getting it to the ground.Have you ever ran a 1000hp truck at the track.Its carnage on the driveline like you could never imagine.So now I think its fixed and will have some 1/4 mile times very soon.

RC
Old 05-29-2007, 04:25 PM
Banned

is the earlier statement about adding 20% with a dynojet over a mustang dyno correct? so there is more for my signature if i go somewhere else?

there is an import shop close by with a 4 wheel chassis dyno. maybe i can go play there.
Old 05-29-2007, 04:29 PM

I hope that was not directed to me????
Old 05-29-2007, 04:31 PM

My post was directed to the guy that thinks tst's are dyno queens.

Quick Reply: Hit the rollers today, dissapointed......