3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

High performance brakes and rotors help

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 03:03 PM
Muted one day, Banned the next....... Ah the life of a DTR 1%'er

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Makes since to me.. Thanks guys.
Old 09-25-2009, 03:03 PM

also, make sure your pads are broken in correctly. with the ebc, they break in is fast and painless.
Old 09-25-2009, 03:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by User Name:
ive noticed a significant braking performance increase over my stockers. some of the performance increase may just be seamingly from replacing worn out brakes. To me however the stopping performance seems as though it has doubled! I know that seems drastic but these pads seem far superior than my stock pads ever were, even when the truck was new.
i must have missed something-what did you do to make your truck stop that much better?
Old 09-25-2009, 03:13 PM

just turned down my rotors and stuck on a set of EBC greenstuff pads front and rear
Old 09-25-2009, 03:36 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by cincydiesel
Currently in the market to purchase a good set of drilled and slotted rotors with pads.. Any particular brand to look for or stay away from?
I went with drilled and slotted rotors from NAPA on my '98.5. Modified rotors of this design actually removes 9% of the surface area for your pads to clamp on to. In addition,mine were toast in six months. I went with NAPA's premium stock design rotors and Mopar stock pads and regained my stopping performance.
Old 09-26-2009, 07:45 AM

I put a set of slotted rotors on the rear of my truck just a few days ago. I drive a lot of dirt roads, and my rear brakes wear way faster than my fronts, 78,000 miles and the rear pads and rotors were gone, front is a little over half worn. I guess the mud and sand kick up from the front tires, and sand blast the rear brakes. I'm gonna see if the slots will help keep the rear rotors clean and last a little longer.

I know what ya'll are thinking, and no, I don't do brake stand burn outs. I'm not sure why I'm the only one with rear brake issues. Every truck that I've owned with rear disk brakes has had this problem. This one lasted so much longer than the rest.
Old 09-28-2009, 06:30 PM

I purchased slotted rotors. The purpose for the slots are to keep the rotors cooler, prevent warping and may increase stopping distance. How could they shave part of the pad off when the slot is deeper than the pad? My pads new were angled on both sides so I confused at the shaving affect.
Old 09-29-2009, 08:15 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by mad1
I purchased slotted rotors. The purpose for the slots are to keep the rotors cooler, prevent warping and may increase stopping distance. How could they shave part of the pad off when the slot is deeper than the pad? My pads new were angled on both sides so I confused at the shaving affect.
I don't think that they are talking about the shape or size of the slots causing the "shaving" but rather the lack of material where those slots occur. Imagine rubbing your hand on those rotors while they are spinning. The slots would eventually beat the snot out of the skin on your hand vs doing the same thing on a smooth rotor.
Old 09-29-2009, 12:45 PM

i ran drilled rotors on my last truck, it helped, not sure how much but they did seem to be better all round, and in the rain were better too. i tried a few different pads, ceramic and such, but i like the cheap pads. not the bottom dollar pads, but not the most expensive either. i would rather a softer pad that bites good, then a pad that lasts longer but is harder on the rotor.
Old 09-29-2009, 03:46 PM
tcr

How many miles are the EBCs good for; for normal everyday drivers? I'm not towing every day?
Old 09-29-2009, 10:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I purchased slotted rotors. The purpose for the slots are to keep the rotors cooler, prevent warping and may increase stopping distance. .
Not true. Yeas ago, that was the purpose of drilling.

How could they shave part of the pad off when the slot is deeper than the pad? My pads new were angled on both sides so I confused at the shaving affect.
Try it. Remove the caliper and take one of the pads out. Or just get one of your old pads. Now run the padnd forth over the slot, with moderate pressure. Now run your finger through the slot. See all that dust? That's pad material.

The beveled leading edge helps to prevent pad vibration, which causes squealing. There's no adantage to beveling the trailing edge. But they do that so the pads can go on either side; no left and right pads. Partly because it costs more, and partly because too many people would get them mixed up, and then complain about the crappy product.
Old 09-30-2009, 12:34 AM

125k on your rotors and you are complaining??? I have 180 and never even have thought of replacing them. Only have replaced the pads once with original equipment...not OEM budget. WORKS GREAT.
Old 09-30-2009, 12:42 AM

i recently put on the ebc slotted and dimpled front rotors with green pads on my truck and like them so far, i have the rears but still have some life left on them so havent put em on yet
I also put the same ones all the way around on a customer's truck and he hasn't complained and he probably drives his truck alot more than me but the slotted rotors do make some noise when applying the brakes because of the air going under the pad in the slots not really loud or anything but if that's something that might annoy you just to let you know they don't exactly advertise that just a piece of paper with the rotor says it
Old 09-30-2009, 08:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i just put on EBC blanks and greenstuff pads up front, i am not a fan of slotted rotors unless you race.
Old 09-30-2009, 09:42 AM
Muted one day, Banned the next....... Ah the life of a DTR 1%'er

Originally Posted by cquestad
125k on your rotors and you are complaining??? I have 180 and never even have thought of replacing them. Only have replaced the pads once with original equipment...not OEM budget. WORKS GREAT.
Who's complaining? If I'm replacing something on the truck I want to use the best parts available

Quick Reply: High performance brakes and rotors help