3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

High performance brakes and rotors help

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 11:05 AM
Muted one day, Banned the next....... Ah the life of a DTR 1%'er

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
High performance brakes and rotors help

Currently in the market to purchase a good set of drilled and slotted rotors with pads.. Any particular brand to look for or stay away from?
Old 09-25-2009, 12:26 PM

bump...i wanna know too
Old 09-25-2009, 12:27 PM

i know EBC makes the brake rotors and i have heard alot of good things about them. as far as pads, Hawk make an awesome pad
Old 09-25-2009, 12:50 PM

I was looking at these. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dodge...mZ380155182243
Old 09-25-2009, 01:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am leaning towards EBC Greenstuff pads since I need new front and rear for sure. Undecided about the rotors.
Old 09-25-2009, 01:03 PM

nothing beats a set of standard rotors! take your stock rotors and get them turned down then pick up some EBC green stuff pads. done
Old 09-25-2009, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by User Name:
nothing beats a set of standard rotors! take your stock rotors and get them turned down then pick up some EBC green stuff pads. done
My rotors are shot.. 125,000 miles on the originals
Old 09-25-2009, 01:17 PM

i see. well id go with EBC slotted at the most. but you get more stopping surface area with blanks. EBC blanks are great as well. stay away from drilled rotors.
Old 09-25-2009, 01:22 PM

Thanks! I'll do that.
Old 09-25-2009, 01:37 PM

i see. well id go with EBC slotted at the most. but you get more stopping surface area with blanks. EBC blanks are great as well. stay away from drilled rotors.
What would be the cons and pros of a slotted over a blank?
Old 09-25-2009, 01:50 PM

cons of slotted is it is less metal touching the pad, could allow dirt and grit into the slots more readily than a blank. pros it supposedly shaves a small amount of your pad surface while braking, which could be good or bad depending on who's analyzing it. Personally I cant think of any pros of having slotted or dimpled rotors. I think they are supposed to cool off faster than blanks, but i think you would be better off spending the money on some vents or air dams to channel the air over the rotor.
Old 09-25-2009, 01:53 PM
Banned

For all u with questions about this, read this article my bud showed me:
http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/brake_FAQ.htm
its a site intended for Vdubs, but the info is still great. The article showed me the light-no need for holes-holes are for looks.

the holes are better for cooling capacity of the brakes, but only if the rotors are directionally vaned-meaning that the vanes act as an air pump to draw in air from the holes & out thru the outer ring.

the holes are really only needed on high performance cars-like porsche's and anything heading to the track. Better pads are the best investment.
Old 09-25-2009, 01:56 PM

Really the only way i could see to feasibly upgrade our brakes would be to upgrade to a larger diameter rotor, add stainless brake lines (if theyre not already) and good brake pads. otherwise for our big heavy trucks stick with blanks.
Old 09-25-2009, 02:24 PM

Drilled rotors are strictly for bling. With current pad technology, there's no need for them. They often create a stress riser, which leads to cracking. Unless you're building a show truck, avoid them. If you just gotta have the look, use a dimpled rotor.

Slots act like a cheese slicer. With each passage of a slot, it shaves off a small amount of pad material. In performance applications where you're pounding on the brakes lap after lap, that's a good thing. On the street, that just means you have to replace the pads more often. No performance upgrade there, either.

Spend a little bit of dough on a quality stock replacement. And a little more dough for a set of really good pads. Performance Friction carbon metallic from Autozone is an excellent pad for a reasoanble price. I'm not convinced that the more expensive pads from EBC or Hawk really provide better performance.
Old 09-25-2009, 03:02 PM

ive noticed a significant braking performance increase over my stockers. some of the performance increase may just be seamingly from replacing worn out brakes. To me however the stopping performance seems as though it has doubled! I know that seems drastic but these pads seem far superior than my stock pads ever were, even when the truck was new.

Quick Reply: High performance brakes and rotors help