3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

high idle on an 03

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 11:00 AM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I know for a fact that I have the latest software from Dodge. I checked 10 minutes ago! 03' , no smarty! Maybe another member will let me try it out! LOL
Old 01-02-2008, 11:00 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
At this time my High Idle will not work. It is enabled but still dosen't work. I can't see the build date of my motor because the dog gone High Ram is in the way of the build date on the sticker. Just called my dealership and gave them the TSB number so they can research it. Looks like my truck will have to be reflashed also. My current ECM software has the ablility to enable the High Idle it just dosen't work when enabled. Looks like a reflash is in order.
Old 01-02-2008, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by vzdude
I know for a fact that I have the latest software from Dodge. I checked 10 minutes ago! 03' , no smarty! Maybe another member will let me try it out! LOL

Maybe so..... anybody out there have one he can borrow for testing.

Edited: Do you even have the ability to enable it?
Old 01-02-2008, 11:05 AM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Spooler
Being as you loaded the Smarty you did reflash the ECM at that point. Bob Wagner stated it was turned on using a Smarty.
That is what I believe. I cannot prove that it didn't exist before smarty though. Smarty with each of its new file releases provides the most up to date DC flashes. So, yes, the smarty "reflashes' the ecm and this is why I believe that it was smarty that enabled the high idle. But again, there is no way to "prove" that.
Old 01-02-2008, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by soulezoo
That is what I believe. I cannot prove that it didn't exist before smarty though. Smarty with each of its new file releases provides the most up to date DC flashes. So, yes, the smarty "reflashes' the ecm and this is why I believe that it was smarty that enabled the high idle. But again, there is no way to "prove" that.

Sure there is.... Go flash it back to stock and see if it works then....
Old 01-02-2008, 11:08 AM
tcr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 03 only has the auto(when it's cold) high idle, the Smarty has done nothing to change that. No CC s/w high idle for me, the Dodge dealer swears they can get it to work, but I believe you guys more than I believe them! Should I take it in or is this still an unknown?
Old 01-02-2008, 11:10 AM
DTR 1st Sergeant

I've set it back to stock before, not too long ago when beta testing smarty jr, and yes it worked then too. But you have to understand, that resetting back to stock from smarty doesn't mean exactly what you think it means. Because other things, like the speed limiter (it remained set at 135 mph), and wheel size (for speedo calibration) remained behind too.
Old 01-02-2008, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by tcr
My 03 only has the auto(when it's cold) high idle, the Smarty has done nothing to change that. No CC s/w high idle for me, the Dodge dealer swears they can get it to work, but I believe you guys more than I believe them! Should I take it in or is this still an unknown?
It is still an unknown. You could be our ginny pig though. Go see if they can get it to work. Won't hurt. If they can that would make alot of people very happy.....
Old 01-02-2008, 11:12 AM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Originally Posted by tcr
I really don't know. I am only sharing my experience with my truck (I can't tell you about others) and am doing so only because my experience is contrary to what others have said. If nothing else, this hopefully expands our knowledge and understanding of the subject.
Old 01-02-2008, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by soulezoo
I've set it back to stock before, not too long ago when beta testing smarty jr, and yes it worked then too. But you have to understand, that resetting back to stock from smarty doesn't mean exactly what you think it means. Because other things, like the speed limiter (it reamained set at 135 mph), and wheel size (for speedo calibration) remained behind too.

Ahh, so the smarty itself comes with the original flash. It dosen't read it off of the ECM and store it. Makes sense.

Edited: So if someone let vzdude flash his for a test and put it back it should still work.
Old 01-02-2008, 11:22 AM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
It's not an 04.5 thing.

Mine is an '04 built in late '03 and I have it. I think it was only available on the automatics though. The Smarty will enable it if it's available.

John
Old 01-02-2008, 11:23 AM
tcr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One dealer said we have to have the electronic throttle control, which I don't have. I had to adjust my throttle cables to get the tranny to shift right. Another dealer still swears he can get it done, I'll let them try and let you guys know.
Old 01-02-2008, 11:26 AM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Spooler
Maybe so..... anybody out there have one he can borrow for testing.

Edited: Do you even have the ability to enable it?
I have enabled it and the 3 cyl idle with the DRB, but the only high idle that works is the "automatic high idle" ( under 32*, no brake, no accel, yada yada yada )
Old 01-02-2008, 11:28 AM

Well I know the electronic throttle cable is not a true statement. Because all 04' trucks don't have that. They didn't start doing that until 05'.
Old 01-02-2008, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by vzdude
I have enabled it and the 3 cyl idle with the DRB, but the only high idle that works is the "automatic high idle" ( under 32*, no brake, no accel, yada yada yada )
The exact same problem I have. If we can get mine to work, hopefully it will be a similar problem. Going to take my truck back in to the dealer this week.
We shall see.....

Quick Reply: high idle on an 03