3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

high idle on an 03

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 12:06 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I remember reading a TSB somewhere about the High Idle. It stated that some trucks would have to have a reflash of the ECM to enable the High Idle. My truck's High Idle is still inop. The next step is to flash the ECM with the latest and greatest. I lost my HD at work so I lost my link to the TSB index. Anybody have that link.
Old 01-01-2008, 12:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you can't get it to work and don't want to spend much go for this!

http://www.genosgarage.com/prodinfo.asp?number=LC48700

20 bucks... PLUS its not VIN locked to your truck
Old 01-01-2008, 12:29 AM

Dog gone it I found it..... Here is the TSB in the 04' section.

http://dodgeram.info/tsb/2004/18-004-04.htm

I think it can happen on an 03 truck you just have to reflash it and if you have a manual tranny you will need to ground pin 22 or get the clutch switch kit....
Old 01-01-2008, 12:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by roxj
can anyone confirm if the high idle function does or does not work on 03's?
Ive searched and haven't found a definite answer. if it will, i would like to know how to activate it with my smarty jr.

tia

trey
NOTE: This bulletin applies to DR ( Diesel Ram )vehicles equipped with a 5.9L Cummins Turbo Diesel engine (sales code ETC or ETH) and an automatic transmission, with an engine serial number 57130284 or earlier and the engine date of manufacture on or before December 10, 2003.

That is the official take it to the bank word. Argue all you want with the ecm on your truck or what you think the year of your truck is. If it doesn't meet the date or engine number it WON'T WORK Went up one side of the official explanation of the manual high idle and settled on using a stick wedged between the seat and the pedal. Only way around it is to change out the ecm/pcm to accept the flash. Yes it can be done on a vehicle manufactured AFTER DEC 10 SO that is my last word...........Hey site admin, why not make it a sticky? same question over and over again
Old 01-01-2008, 01:02 AM

What do you mean take it to the bank....

date of manufacture on or before December 10, 2003.

It's still clear as mud.....
Old 01-01-2008, 10:44 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by N.Johnson

That is the official take it to the bank word. Argue all you want with the ecm on your truck or what you think the year of your truck is. If it doesn't meet the date or engine number it WON'T WORK
Uhhh, go back and read that TSB carefully.

The way I read it, if you have a engine built BEFORE the December 2003 date, you can reprogram the ECU with base software then add the TSB software that contains the high idle controls.

Engines built after that date and with the listed numbers already contain the high idle.

The way I read it, you can enable the high idle all the way back to the 1998 1/2 models IF you reprogram the ECU then add the flash.

All right you guys with 03's and no high idle HERE is the solution! Somebody friendly with a dealer and/or tech want to try this and figure it out? THEN post this as a definitive sticky!
Old 01-01-2008, 10:48 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by no_6_oh_no
Uhhh, go back and read that TSB carefully.

The way I read it, if you have a engine built BEFORE the December 2003 date, you can reprogram the ECU with base software then add the TSB software that contains the high idle controls.

Engines built after that date and with the listed numbers already contain the high idle.

The way I read it, you can enable the high idle all the way back to the 1998 1/2 models IF you reprogram the ECU then add the flash.

All right you guys with 03's and no high idle HERE is the solution! Somebody friendly with a dealer and/or tech want to try this and figure it out? THEN post this as a definitive sticky!

I second the sticky.

I would really like to get this figured out!!
Old 01-02-2008, 12:58 AM

Hmmm

I went through this with my dealer a while back. But on the same token, the TSB I had did not mention anything about being able to reflash the cummins ECM.

The way I read the TSB, it allows the dealer to update the software on the ECM to allow for the CRUISE CONTROL OPERATED VARIABLE SPEED HIGH IDLE. I know the last time I went through it with the dealer after several trys, it seemed to them to be a lack of the software being able to do the job.

Sooooooo if Chrysler quietly issued a TSB with new ECM software, maybe, just maybe there is a glimmer of hope for us pre-2004.?? owners to have the idle via cruise control.

3rd on the sticky, and I'll be watching the thread.

Mike
Old 01-02-2008, 08:59 AM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Well that TSB does apply to my engine. It is BELOW that serial # listed and date of MFG (mine is Oct '03). My truck has never been to the dealer, so no chance of reflash from them to enable my high idle. The only other device to touch my ecm has been Smarty. So the high idle either came from the factory enabled or Smarty did it.
I sincerely invite anyone who disbelieves me on my high idle operation to come to me and see for yourself.
Old 01-02-2008, 09:14 AM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by soulezoo
Well that TSB does apply to my engine. It is BELOW that serial # listed and date of MFG (mine is Oct '03). My truck has never been to the dealer, so no chance of reflash from them to enable my high idle. The only other device to touch my ecm has been Smarty. So the high idle either came from the factory enabled or Smarty did it.
I sincerely invite anyone who disbelieves me on my high idle operation to come to me and see for yourself.
Do you have the vacuum operated cruise? So.....you can do it with the cruise control buttons? For my own curiosity. That and I wonder of the Smarty had anything to do with it?
Old 01-02-2008, 09:31 AM

Need a D.C. tech to call STAR and ask questions about that TSB.If it does work on 98.5 to 2003 then need answers about 6 speeds etc.
Old 01-02-2008, 09:53 AM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
When I worked at the dealer, the tsb on the 2nd gens only enabled the automatic high idle and 3 cylinder idle. Wouldn't work with the cruise. I gotta get to the bottom of this! I stil think vacuum cruise is the key whether it will work or not.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:30 AM

We need somebody with an 03' truck and a smarty to see if the High idle works with them. If it does then the D.C software fix should work on 03' trucks. As far as the manual trucks you just need the clutch switch kit from Cummins that goes to pin 22 of the ECM or just ground pin #22 and all should be well.

Edited: Looks like someone with an 03' posted before and has it working. We need to verify this.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:50 AM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by vzdude
Do you have the vacuum operated cruise? So.....you can do it with the cruise control buttons? For my own curiosity. That and I wonder of the Smarty had anything to do with it?
I do have the vacuum operated cruise... I found out the hard way when my cruise wouldn't work, heard a rather peculiar noise from under the hood and what had happened was right after I installed the twins, the vacuum line melted against the hotpipe. After repairing and rerouting that line all was back to normal.
As far as the other question, I can't honestly say. I did not know about the high idle feature until I saw a thread on it here. (went out to the truck, started it and hit the cruise button and then the resume button and voila!) I already had the smarty installed before then. I can say, as wrote above, that the dealer has never "reflashed" my truck (because I have had no reason to take it to the dealer) and smarty has been the only downloader I have used.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by soulezoo
I do have the vacuum operated cruise... I found out the hard way when my cruise wouldn't work, heard a rather peculiar noise from under the hood and what had happened was right after I installed the twins, the vacuum line melted against the hotpipe. After repairing and rerouting that line all was back to normal.
As far as the other question, I can't honestly say. I did not know about the high idle feature until I saw a thread on it here. (went out to the truck, started it and hit the cruise button and then the resume button and voila!) I already had the smarty installed before then. I can say, as wrote above, that the dealer has never "reflashed" my truck (because I have had no reason to take it to the dealer) and smarty has been the only downloader I have used.
Being as you loaded the Smarty you did reflash the ECM at that point. Bob Wagner stated it was turned on using a Smarty.

Quick Reply: high idle on an 03