3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

High HP guys--- Strange noise under WOT

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2005, 12:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
High HP guys--- Strange noise under WOT

I get a strange noise under WOT. It sounds similar to a midget beating on the firewall with a ball-peen hammer. When I have good traction it does it. When the tires are spinning, nothing. It won't do it in 5th or 6th, even when spraying N20. But in 3rd and 4th, when the tq load is high, I get the noise. I can't seem to find any thing that's hitting in the driveline area. I was just wondering if anyone else with big power has had a similar problem, and figured it out.
Old 12-05-2005, 04:06 PM

maybe,...

Loose flywheel bolts??
Old 12-05-2005, 06:09 PM

symptom: It sounds similar to a midget beating on the firewall with a ball-peen hammer

fix: took hammer away from midget under dash.

sorry man i just couldn't pass it up.
i would suggest you take a good look at your exhaust. mine can make one heck of a noise at 48 pounds of boost sometimes. and i am still not sure where it is coming from.
Old 12-05-2005, 06:34 PM

Very Funny....

Flywheel bolts are tight, but it is a strange coincidence that this sound only appeared after I installed the Twin Disc clutch...
Old 12-05-2005, 09:28 PM

White, Is the flywheel stock? I'd talk to your tranny guy. Aftermarket clutch lets alot more torque through the drivetrain than a slippy stock one. ks
Old 12-05-2005, 09:30 PM

Mine too

This is a funny thing,my truck does it too,but only in hard launch conditions and only on spray or water!!!!
Old 12-05-2005, 09:32 PM

Does the truck feel any different?

Trending Topics

Old 12-05-2005, 10:20 PM

I went from a ConFE to a DD. The FE wasn't slipping, I just wanted to start sledpulling. I did add some power,(went to the Twins program and CLDL) at the same time, so I think it may be due to the extra torque.

What I'm really thinking it is.... The double-cardan is binding up and the ears on the yokes are hitting each other under good traction, quick acceleration pulls. The lift-kit magnifies it by increasing the angle the front driveshaft makes... I'm almost positive that's what it is.
Old 12-05-2005, 10:46 PM

my 04 auto sounds normal under wot but when I let of the skinny peddel real fast it makes a different noise kinda pings almost i notised it after i had the reflash done today mine is strait piped
Old 12-05-2005, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by WhiteSport600
I went from a ConFE to a DD. The FE wasn't slipping, I just wanted to start sledpulling. I did add some power,(went to the Twins program and CLDL) at the same time, so I think it may be due to the extra torque.

What I'm really thinking it is.... The double-cardan is binding up and the ears on the yokes are hitting each other under good traction, quick acceleration pulls. The lift-kit magnifies it by increasing the angle the front driveshaft makes... I'm almost positive that's what it is.
That could be very true,but I've never heard mine do it pulling the sled,and that's when I would think it has the most front-end lift????????
Old 12-07-2005, 01:09 AM

Might be a little off topic....

I had a sports car that I really enjoyed. If I drove normally, no problem. But if I started to take turns a little faster, I would hear some noise. If I got a little throttle happy and started breaking all of the speed limits, then the noise would get really loud. And really annoying.
I finally figured out how to correct it. I stopped taking the girlfriend in the car with me.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:08 AM

Excessive timing knock or damage from excessive timing from the BDCL/TST stack? A few wise men have steered me away from that stack...
Old 12-08-2005, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by cquestad
Excessive timing knock or damage from excessive timing from the BDCL/TST stack? A few wise men have steered me away from that stack...
It's not timing knock. I know what that sounds like, and if it was that...it would do it in every gear. I don't get it in 5th or 6th when the tq multiplication is lower, And I also don't get it in 4th when the tires are slipping. A concrete road and a 4th gear rip is the worst.
Old 12-08-2005, 03:35 PM

Can you seen marks on the yokes? That would be a dead give away...fresh steel?
Old 12-08-2005, 03:55 PM

I haven't looked at the yokes yet...lol It's 14degrees here and the truck doesn't fit in the garage I know that would be a dead sure sign, but I'm lazy...and it's COLD

Quick Reply: High HP guys--- Strange noise under WOT