3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

high egts! water meth or new intercooler?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 11:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
high egts! water meth or new intercooler?

I know when pulling or WOT my truck gets too hot. I want input from you diesel gurus on what the next upgrade is . I hear good things about a water meth kit like the "snow" kit and ive seen aftermarket intercoolers in person and im looking for input on what would be a good way to get it cooled down im not wanting to melt a piston soon haha. thanks for any input the big dogs can give me
Old 10-22-2008, 11:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Stock fueling and stock turbo? And how hot is it getting?
Old 10-22-2008, 11:45 PM
madhat's monkey boy...

From what I have gathered in his past posts.... far from stock

I am not running the fuel you are but water/meth is awesome in keeping EGT's in check for me. I run Coolingmist stg. 2 w/ 2-12GPH nozzles. Just from what I have inquired from others, the intercooler is nice but limited on its EGT dropping ability especially when it gets heat soaked.

Water is our friend. Keeps the carbon off piston crowns/injector tips, pick up a few ponies, and keeps EGT's cooler.

JMHO
Old 10-22-2008, 11:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
And on the other side of that fence, I could never get my snow kit to drop temps hardly at all. Added a little power when mixed 50/50 and that's it.

So without details, here are possible egt reducers...

turbo
IC
cam
different fueling (timing etc)
exhaust
Old 10-22-2008, 11:55 PM
madhat's monkey boy...

Here is a company my D-Max friend told me about just yesterday.
http://www.labontemotorsports.com/st...l+Systems.html
If you check out dieselplace.com (d-max forum) they take a decent amount off if you buy off their site.

He is going to buy the progressive controller for 75$ shipped (115 on site)
Their stage 2 kit looks real nice. I like that they use a solenoid to turn on/off flow and prevent boost from blowing the water out of the lines (replaces the std. check valve)
Old 10-23-2008, 12:01 AM

More air (turbo) is the only real answer for the egt question.
Old 10-23-2008, 12:07 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
When my egt's get to hot I let off the go pedal a little and it works every time.
Old 10-23-2008, 12:30 AM
madhat's monkey boy...

Originally Posted by Snapoff
More air (turbo) is the only real answer for the egt question.
A5K is a pretty good amount of air.
What kind of rules do you need to adhere to for sled pulling? I know around my parts you are not allowed to run water.
Old 10-23-2008, 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by matego
Here is a company my D-Max friend told me about just yesterday.
http://www.labontemotorsports.com/st...l+Systems.html
If you check out dieselplace.com (d-max forum) they take a decent amount off if you buy off their site.

He is going to buy the progressive controller for 75$ shipped (115 on site)
Their stage 2 kit looks real nice. I like that they use a solenoid to turn on/off flow and prevent boost from blowing the water out of the lines (replaces the std. check valve)
thanks for that link I never knew about that system. I really like the fact of that pump is bigger than the standard 150 psi pump and its a little cheaper also . what you think about that stage 2 system they have? pm me if you want on honest facts you know more about water meth and NOS than me
Old 10-23-2008, 12:50 AM

From what I have gathered in his past posts.... far from stock

I am not running the fuel you are but water/meth is awesome in keeping EGT's in check for me. I run Coolingmist stg. 2 w/ 2-12GPH nozzles. Just from what I have inquired from others, the intercooler is nice but limited on its EGT dropping ability especially when it gets heat soaked.

Water is our friend. Keeps the carbon off piston crowns/injector tips, pick up a few ponies, and keeps EGT's cooler.

JMHO
I hear good things about water/meth kits and just water injections kits in general. rat03 told me he sees a nice drop in egts on his truck and ive talked to John P. also on this subject a couple times he has helped alot. mainly just want to buy something that is going to help. im leaning towards water/meth pretty hard just want to get some input for I buy something. I would like to get a fairly simple setup dont really want a big fancy controller that will confuse me
Old 10-23-2008, 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by omaharam
And on the other side of that fence, I could never get my snow kit to drop temps hardly at all. Added a little power when mixed 50/50 and that's it.

So without details, here are possible egt reducers...

turbo
IC
cam
different fueling (timing etc)
exhaust
the intercooler and cam are stock. turbo, fuel system, injectors, cp3, exhaust are upgraded. I run the smarty and no other boxes at the moment no pressure boxes either it dynoed the same with or without a pressure box?
it will get 1400-1500 when the truck shifts into overdrive on the street. sledpulled a few times and never looked at the pyro im sure it was buried
Old 10-23-2008, 01:53 AM
madhat's monkey boy...

Originally Posted by jwb600
thanks for that link I never knew about that system. I really like the fact of that pump is bigger than the standard 150 psi pump and its a little cheaper also . what you think about that stage 2 system they have? pm me if you want on honest facts you know more about water meth and NOS than me
Heres the low down on meth controllers.
1) simple hobbs switch-- sprays 100% once the cut-in pressure is achieved. (not good for large amounts of water like we need, great for small gassers)

2) progressive controller-- allows you to set a cut-in boost pressure and a full spray pressure. This is needed because we spray relatively large amounts of water and if you sprayed 100% all in 1 shot it would cut out your engine. You an set a ramp.... say cut in 13psi-full spray at 30psi (my favorite setting)

3) progressive w/ duty cycle control (coolingmist)-- same as #2 except now you can play with the pump flow with duty cycle settings. You can have 2 big nozzles that keep your engine fed at max boost and also have smaller nozzles for towing. So, you can set it to 100% flow when racing to maximize your cooling effect and horsepower. Then when you need to tow, you can cut it down to 30% to conserve water and keep from flooding out your engine. It does not reduce the pressure but pulses the pump for correct atomization.

4) computer controlled mumbo-jumbo-- nice if you are a gadget guy that likes to mess with stuff all the time. One nice thing is you can set them up to come on with EGT, boost or whatever you want. I personally do not feel they are needed (my opinion only) I keep an eye on my gauges and can tell when I need more water or less, then adjust as necessary with the *****. Believe me, once you have water/meth you will be able to know when you are spraying too much.

So, in a nutshell, at least progressive. It is more difficult to run big honkin nozzles with it daily driving , you will just have to play with nozzle sizes to find the sweet spot (20$ a pop) I went with the Coolingmist controller so I could run 2-12GPH nozzles and adjust on the fly to whatever I want. Towing and putzing around... cut in 18, max 30 30-40% duty cycle. Hot summer day cut in 13, max 25 70% DC. Track or dyno cut in 10, max 25 100% DC

The pumps are all the same. Shurflo. Nozzles can be different, just make sure they are externally mounted, you dont want a piece vibrating loose in your intake. Bad day for all except parts sellers.

If you want to BS about it on the phone, PM me and I will give you my number.
Old 10-23-2008, 03:06 AM

A5K is a pretty good amount of air.
What kind of rules do you need to adhere to for sled pulling? I know around my parts you are not allowed to run water.
Sorry, I didn't see the mods listed and took a guess.
A little more info would help us help you...A list of mods and some details of how hot the egts are.

A good intercooler (like BD's) will drop egts by 200 degrees or more. A small commercial squirter like the Snow is good for another 150 or so degrees as long as things aren't super hot.
If you are 1600+ degrees it is doubtful one of little squirts will do much good...like peeing on a forest fire...And just as useful in my experience.

If you can't add water you need more air. If your turbo is big enough you need more boost. More boost means more air getting in the combustion chamber so keep the wastegate closed as long as possible....Boost is a friend in a competition situation.
Most guys are afraid of boost over 60psi thinking it will lift the head.....The only thing lifting heads is combustion heat (pressure). Within reason more airflow/boost cools the combustion process and softens the nasty pressure spike that tries to push the head off.

If the turbo doesn't move enough air everything else is a band-aid solution.
Old 10-23-2008, 03:40 AM

Cam, springs, intercooler..../end of thread.
Old 10-23-2008, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by jwb600
I hear good things about water/meth kits and just water injections kits in general. rat03 told me he sees a nice drop in egts on his truck and ive talked to John P. also on this subject a couple times he has helped alot. mainly just want to buy something that is going to help. im leaning towards water/meth pretty hard just want to get some input for I buy something. I would like to get a fairly simple setup dont really want a big fancy controller that will confuse me
Now remember John_P uses water only....AND ALOT OF IT!!!

Quick Reply: high egts! water meth or new intercooler?