3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Hi-lift jacks

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 11:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi-lift jacks

OK guys, I did a search on the subject, but I didn't find the info I was looking for. I have 35" Toyo's mounted on 18" wheels. I have a spare wheel/tire mounted in my bed because it won't fit in the factory spare tire location under the bed. I just need some thoughts on a jack. Factory jack is not really an option any more, too small, and not even carried in the truck now. I just want some input on hi-lift jacks, or should I just get a good bottle jack to carry around. I could mount a hi-lift jack in my bed, but worry about somebody stealing it. With a bottle jack, I could keep it stored in the cab, but it would have to be layed downed on it's side. Is it OK to store a bottle jack on it's side? And yes, I do have road hazard insurance on the tires, and towing insurance on the truck, but that means nothing when you're in the middle of nowhere at 2 am, and out of cell phone service range. And I find myself in these kinds of places a lot. Anybody have any ideas or thoughts? This is a pic of how my spare is mounted.
Attached Thumbnails Hi-lift jacks-100_1657.jpg  
Old 02-28-2009, 11:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I started to say a bottle jack but then read your sig and you have aftermarket bumpers. If they are made of 1/8 or better steel then I would look at the hi-lift. Just know that they can easily break an arm if they get away from you. Also you have to extend the suspension to get the tire/wheel off the ground and then they can slide sideways on you.

So I think I am back at the bottle jack as it compresses the suspension to raise the tire/wheel. This to me seems safer. I carried a hi-lift for years and then for more years I didn't carry it. My son now has it mounted on his Jeep.
Old 02-28-2009, 11:42 PM

A bottle jack will be more stable when you're changing the tire on the side of the road. One thing I've done to one of our bottle jacks is taken a piece of 1/8" x 1" strap iron, bent it into a "V" and welded it to the pad on the bottle jack. This keeps the axle secured onto the jack when you're changing the tire.

I've had success lifting my truck with my Hi-Lift from the front (was able to get directly to the frame rail) but when lifting from the reciever the whole truck pivots on the jack and slides off when it's in the air.
Old 02-28-2009, 11:48 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
I always keep a bottle jack in the toolbox of my truck, as I just don't trust the OEM jack. I've had situations where our trucks are just too heavy for it to lift far enough to get the job done. While a Hi-lift is great for some situations, like recovery, I love the versatility of a bottle jack. It'll work on any vehicle (with a selection of wood blocks), and its compact size makes it very easy to handle and store. They are very strong in relation to their small size and weight.
Old 03-01-2009, 09:14 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Our service trucks carry 7K# Hi-Lifts around (farm jacks), but you couldn't pay me enough to change a truck tire with one by myself. I don't even like to put one together without gloves & steel toes...
Old 03-01-2009, 09:19 AM

I just carry the factory bottle jack, and one I had off an F250 Van, little taller than the factory dodge one, and some blocks of wood.
I probably need to get a nicer bottle jack, but hadnt really thought about it
Old 03-01-2009, 09:47 AM

Hi lifts SUCK for most situations. They are just not stable enough.

Trending Topics

Old 03-01-2009, 01:15 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you are off road, I would carry (and do) a Hi-Lift. Hi-Lifts can be dangerous. I also carry a bottle jack that I prefer to use on level ground. Blocks to lift your OME jack is also a good idea.
Old 03-01-2009, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Checkmate
Hi lifts SUCK for most situations. They are just not stable enough.
Not to mention they are also notorious for helping people remove unwanted teeth, break the occasional jaw bones, and leave welts on head. "Assuming" you are talking about spare tire changing on pavement (aka roads not trail) bottle jack should be the preferred choice in IMO.