3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Help with wiring for Commander & Xzillaraider

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2006, 03:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with wiring for Commander & Xzillaraider

I installing my Commander this afternoon, and have some questions regarding the installation of the main wiring harness.
Pg 11. Installing the wire tap onto Map Sensor. I have not sent my XZillaraider back yet for re-programming (from '03 to '06). Based on the instructions, is seems as though I need to put my XZ harness in, and tap the pin D wire off of that, rather than the factory one. Correct? Can/should I do this if I dont have the XZ module on? I'm going to assume that I should put the XZ harness in right now - what should I do about the Data link Connector ('03 wiring harness, the instructions on the website dont discuss any differentiation between 06 and 03)? I'll proceed with just wrapping it up in tape so its sealed.
I havent even opened up the fuel pressure kit yet, so that might bring more ?

ps. Mine also did not come with a USB cable (purchased through Larry). Can I just use one that I have, rather than having to have you ship me one? Thanks.
Old 08-05-2006, 05:30 PM

You can either tap the factory wire or the one on our harness. If you have our module on you need to be on our Dark Blue wire in order to get the correct readings. If you are running it stock then you need to be on PIN D. In other words it does not matter what you hook it to as long as it is on Pin D of the connector that is plugged into the factory sensor.

Don't plug the data link up to anything

You can use any usb with a mini b connector, like on a digital camera.

Quad
Old 08-05-2006, 06:27 PM

I did just that.

As a return customer, I have to tell you that I would seriously consider paying you for a single wiring harness for the XZillaraider/Commander/fuel pressure kit!! Looks like a corrugated snake pit in there now! (and again, I havent started the fuel pressure yet!)
Old 08-05-2006, 08:01 PM

Got it all in, EGT and Boost work fine. Got some other issues I need to figure out though. Quad, you have a pm.
Old 08-05-2006, 09:05 PM

Need some help here if anyone can give it. I've PM'd Quad, but with it being Saturday night, I cant expect them to answer until Monday.
Got the commander all wired up with the WIRING ONLY from my XZillaraider (from my 03. Installed the plug where the XZ box goes).
Having some kind of issue with the water temp sensor. When the Commander wire is attached to the wire tap, the temp reads 220 on the commander, but worse yet, it pegs the dash guage. Unplug the commander wire, and the guage goes back to normal (but the commander continues to read 220)

Second, and biggest issue is that it will only run for about 30 seconds before it starts ratlin' and dying. Threw a P0117 code. Gotta be loosing communication between where I have the XZ harness pugged in to the MAP and Fuel sensor. Any ideas?

Update:
I pulled the XZ harness out (leaving the map sensor tap disconnected). Truck seemed to run fine. Commander is blank.

Then I moved the boost wire tap to the factory MAP wire. Started truck - back to stumbling and died. Readings on Commander aint right (1880 EGT, 40 lbs boost, temp 220)

I then pulled the Motor Temp sensor wire. No Change. Still same readings on Commander.

Then pulled the Map sensor wire off (had to move truck to park it for the night). Truck seems to run normal now (seems like its shaking more than normal, but that may just be perception). Commander is blank, no readings at all.
Old 08-06-2006, 01:30 AM

did you select dodge and your year model
Old 08-06-2006, 10:20 AM

did you select dodge and your year model
I havent really gotten that far with it yet. Doesnt do much good to monitor a motor that isnt running.
Old 08-06-2006, 12:24 PM

SOmething is not right??? I responded to your pm. I will talk to you on Monday.

Quad
Old 08-06-2006, 02:41 PM

thanks quad.

One more question on the wiring. When I was underneath the dash last night, it was getting dark, and I was already a little tired. The Commander wire has three leads: Green Male 6 Pin, Green Female 6 pin, and a Black Female 2 pin.

Wires coming into the cab: Green Female 6 pin, Male Black 2 pin, Black Male 4 pin, and Black Male 2 pin.

There is really no discussion in the instructions regarding wires which must be pushed through the grommet, but which are left unplugged. In the dark, looking for connectors to connect (per the instructions "once everything is connected...") I managed to get the Black male 4 pin shoved into the Green Female 6 pin.

I take it the Female 4 pin (coming in from the wiring harness) is left unplugged for use with a module, and the green female 6 pin going to the commander is also left unplugged. This must be used for the fuel pressure?

Now that I have that straighened out (somebody correct me if I'm wrong), I bet that I wont have voltage coming out in the wrong spots!!!!!

If this was the reason for my problem, Quad, I take full responsibility for my actions. I worked sober all afternoon on this. Wont let that happen again!

On ediet (3 hours later!): Truck runs fine, Commander works as advertised.
Boost: 2 - 29
Tranny: 104 - 154 (I replaced the sending unit with my own, due to another of my blunders)
EGT's: 318 - 1083
Engine temp: 0-188

I even got the wiring for the Xzillaraider installed and working correctly.

I did change the wire taps provided to ones that I feel give a little better connection (they are a parralell wire type). When I was taking voltage readings using the ones provided, I got different readings based on how I pulled on the tap).
I also ran the ground back out to the engine compartment.
To get the power wire out of the fuse box, you need to cut a hole in BOTH lips of the lid and the box.

I do believe this was my fault for making those connections without being able to see what the connectors were. There is still .5V coming from the Commander. Quad could confirm that this is likely normal. I did recommend a little more "sober idiot proofing" for the instructions.