3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Help troubleshooting Airdog and CP3

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 06:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help troubleshooting Airdog and CP3

I'm having tough time.I installed an Airdog 100 and since then I haven't had it running right. I'm showing a strong loss of power any time I put my foot in it. I installed a 1/2" draw straw straw straight to the pump. I put in a fuel pressure gauge at the 1/8" tap on top of the AD100 and I'm holding 17.5psi. Did other troubleshooting at the advise of Tody at Pureflow with no soulution. I'm now at the Cp3 and I'm trying to learn how to check the relief valve on the return line. Anybody have a suggestion or another idea that may be causing the problem. It definatly feels like it's starving. The old pump (filter housing mounted) was going out but still supplied fuel, ran fine when it wasn't dying. Just since airdog has it been starving.

Thanks,
Bad Mood
Old 08-01-2008, 06:36 PM

I just installed an AirDog 100 myself, and I can tell you one area I might have run into trouble with if I wasn't paying attention.

The 90 degree dash 8 fitting with the 1/8" NPT tap I got from Diesel Distributors was garbage. I don't know who is responsible for the fitting, but it was threaded way too deep. This allowed the 1/8"-dash 4 adapter fitting for the pressure gauge to thread in wayyyyyy to deep, which blocked about half of the fitting's capacity. The word "China" appeared on the side of this fitting, and I was pretty ****** to have to make my own fitting to feel comfortable.

Even though it appears you didn't use this fitting, it's the little things like that which can lead to problems.

You should actually be reading your pressure right at the high pressure pump and not at the AirDog itself.

Maybe you can get the adapter fittings to install the AirDog to the stock pickup and give that a try. That would be cheap and easy to do.

Toby and Shelby at Pureflow can get you these fittings for a good price.

garrett
Old 08-02-2008, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by garbri
I just installed an AirDog 100 myself, and I can tell you one area I might have run into trouble with if I wasn't paying attention.

The 90 degree dash 8 fitting with the 1/8" NPT tap I got from Diesel Distributors was garbage. I don't know who is responsible for the fitting, but it was threaded way too deep. This allowed the 1/8"-dash 4 adapter fitting for the pressure gauge to thread in wayyyyyy to deep, which blocked about half of the fitting's capacity. The word "China" appeared on the side of this fitting, and I was pretty ****** to have to make my own fitting to feel comfortable.

Even though it appears you didn't use this fitting, it's the little things like that which can lead to problems.

You should actually be reading your pressure right at the high pressure pump and not at the AirDog itself.

Maybe you can get the adapter fittings to install the AirDog to the stock pickup and give that a try. That would be cheap and easy to do.

Toby and Shelby at Pureflow can get you these fittings for a good price.

garrett

HUH

the 1/8"-dash 4 adapter fitting for the pressure I'm not sure what you mean by this, is this the 1/8 fitting above the hose to the engine. I got what you mean about checking by the cp3, I did that and still read 17lbs at it.

Tried the stock pickup and ellimanated it cause of possible restrictions.

I checked all the fittings with soapy water with the truck running but not under a load. I didn't see any bubbles or leaks. Most of the fittings DO have China on them though. I checked the spring and ball valve at the return line fitting on the AD. Toby said there could be some kind of check valve on the cp3 that could have been blocked open for returning fuel. Is there any way to check this theory
If the AD is supplying 17lbs at the cp3, the AD should be working, right?

Only other issue I just thought of...
The adapter fitting at the cp3 had an o-ring and a washer. My helper installed it w/o the washer causing a leak. When I checked it, the o-ring was mashed and torn. I wonder if a piece of rubber could have gotten into the Cp3? How can I check it?

Anybody?
Old 08-03-2008, 11:54 AM

Nobody, Anybody?
Old 08-03-2008, 12:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wounder if your rail relief valve is shot?? if you can get a rail cap you can try plugging it and see if thats whats going on???
kinda sounds like that to me?
Old 08-03-2008, 12:53 PM

do you have a RP gauge?
Old 08-03-2008, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by 53 ******
do you have a RP gauge?
No gauge. Before AD it ran perfectly, how would I check this Rail relief valve?
Old 08-04-2008, 10:51 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Umm... CP3 inlet fitting O-ring mashed & torn?

Hope no bits & pieces made it into the FCA!

Assume you replaced O-ring with a new one...
Old 08-04-2008, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by XLR8R
Umm... CP3 inlet fitting O-ring mashed & torn?

Hope no bits & pieces made it into the FCA!

Assume you replaced O-ring with a new one...
Yes, new o-ring.
Please tell me what to do next.
It acted the same way before I pulled the fitting and saw the torn o-ring. Can I check it any kindof way?
Old 08-04-2008, 11:38 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you want to make sure there isn't any debris inside the CP3, you'll have to remove the Torx-bit screws that hold the IP case together and inspect it... be careful to keep it very clean! I remove them to the bench for exterior cleaning before cracking the case, to keep the dirt & grime out. Might not be your problem, but the only way to find out for sure is too check - unless something else clears it up first.
Old 08-04-2008, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by CLeger67
No gauge. Before AD it ran perfectly, how would I check this Rail relief valve?
you can buy a rail cap online or I think you can use a metric bolt..but I dont remember the size of the threads and bolt??
got any engine codes???
Old 08-04-2008, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by XLR8R
If you want to make sure there isn't any debris inside the CP3, you'll have to remove the Torx-bit screws that hold the IP case together and inspect it... be careful to keep it very clean! I remove them to the bench for exterior cleaning before cracking the case, to keep the dirt & grime out. Might not be your problem, but the only way to find out for sure is too check - unless something else clears it up first.
Thanks, I think I'll save this for last.

you can buy a rail cap online or I think you can use a metric bolt..but I dont remember the size of the threads and bolt??
got any engine codes???
No codes since AD install. I think I'll look at a RP gauge. Whew, this sucks.
Old 08-04-2008, 02:02 PM

you really need a scantool or at least a rail gauge to help diagnose this problem..if your getting 17psi to the cp3 the problem is NOT the airdog unless it's wired weird for some reason...but on your truck it's plug and play soooo. I think it is something else.....
you need a scantool to see what going on and whats not......
we can tell you part to shotgun at it...but thats a waste of cash if you dont diagnose the problem first..
Old 08-04-2008, 03:28 PM

you really need a scantool or at least a rail gauge to help diagnose this problem..if your getting 17psi to the cp3 the problem is NOT the airdog unless it's wired weird for some reason...but on your truck it's plug and play soooo. I think it is something else.....
you need a scantool to see what going on and whats not......
we can tell you part to shotgun at it...but thats a waste of cash if you dont diagnose the problem first..
I got you. I rigged up my pressure gauge inline next to the cp3 and set the gauge where I could read it while driving. At WOT, it stayed at 17lbs the whole time. I'm currently looking at a RP gauge, it does seem like my best next step. What do you mean by scantool. I guess this is not a dtc code reader.
Old 08-04-2008, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by CLeger67
I got you. I rigged up my pressure gauge inline next to the cp3 and set the gauge where I could read it while driving. At WOT, it stayed at 17lbs the whole time. I'm currently looking at a RP gauge, it does seem like my best next step. What do you mean by scantool. I guess this is not a dtc code reader.
you need a scantool that can read the ECM's setpoints...basically it tells you what the target volts, psi or what ever sensor or component your looking at should be..then it gives what the actually should be...some problems dont ever throw codes!!
being a parts changer is EASY....diagnosing stuff takes some SKILL....even with scan tools and CAN car/trucks that usually tell you everything....

Quick Reply: Help troubleshooting Airdog and CP3