3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Help with tires/wheels with 6 in. lift kit

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 04:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with tires/wheels with 6 in. lift kit

I am planning on installing a 6 in. lift kit on my 2005 quad cab shortbed CTD.
I need help with deciding what tires and wheels to get. I like the stock Aluminum wheels but am not sure if they will work with the larger tires. I understand that I can fit 37/12.5/17's under with a 6 in. kit. Can I go larger??? I do almost entirely street driving but tow a 32 ft. camper and a 24 ft. enclosed trailer for my drag car.
What size and kind of tires are you guy's running and should I try and use my stock rims or go aftermarket? If aftermarket rims,what backspacing works the best?
Also can you post some pictures of your 6 in. lifted trucks for me to drool over. My wife also wants to see what it will look like when completed.?
Thanks Mike
Old 01-19-2011, 04:51 PM
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry, can't help with the pics. You can definitely go bigger if you want. Several of my buddies are running 37's on factory wheels with a 2" leveling kit. However, anything bigger than that when pulling your camper or enclosed trailer might be pushing it.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:27 AM

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

6" lift with parts pieced from various companies, mostly pro-comp. 37x12.50 17 or 18. definitely could have went with 39s since I have the longer control arms and all front end components. Don't want to go that high because of the mileage trade off. I'm thinking about going down to a 4" kit with higher end components and keeping 37s, so they fill up the wheel well, and it makes the truck a little more managable. I would say 6" lift w/ 37s would almost definitely ruin your towing abilities. whhen I had 35s and no lift on mine back home, I had to adjust the gooseneck on every stock trailer I towed all the way up just to get my truck under there. i have a 6" drop hitch for tag-alongs and it makes them relatively normal. I have been forced to not tow a friends toy hauler to Barstow CA and we had to rent a trailer because it wouldn't fit. Also bear in mind that lift springs= softer ride and more flex for off-road= max tongue load reduced due to sag. Which is why a lot of people go with air bags in addition to their rear lift springs to keep that towing capability. I have Deaver springs and IMO they tow almost as well as stock, but ride much smoother. When I trade other components out for Carli/Thuren, they will probably stay. Just make sure to consult with the peanut gallery when you make a decision on all your components to hear about lessons learned in the past. I wish I had known about this site when I started modding my truck, I would have done a lot differently the first time.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:37 AM

Thanks for the replys and photo's.
Quote: "i have a 6" drop hitch for tag-alongs and it makes them relatively normal."
My trailer and camper are both tagalongs not Goosenecks so I don't anticipate any problems other than getting an adjustable hitch to accomodate the new height of the truck!
Thanks Mike