3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Help A Soldier Out

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 03:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help A Soldier Out

as a soldier im on a very limited budget, and looking for mods for my truck, i see tons and tons of diesels ( ford's and gm's ) around here and they are blowing my doors off, all i see is a black cloud and they are gone. this place is really anti dodge for some reason. anyhow id love to show these guys what a ctd can do but again im on a very limited budget can someone help me out on some mods to get a jump on the dodge haters around here.
Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Daniel Beard
US Army MEDCOM
Old 11-03-2008, 03:31 AM

Post some information on what year, trans, etc. your truck is. Then guys can be better able to give you some good advice.
Old 11-03-2008, 05:26 AM

07 5.9L auto. CC /SB 4x4
Old 11-03-2008, 05:30 AM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hmm, anti Dodge? Perfect! They'll be even more disappointed when you put a whoppin on them!

Smarty Jr. for now, in order to really be a contender you will need to think about some auto mods ($$) That can wait though, as long as you take it relatively easy on it.
Old 11-03-2008, 05:49 AM

I'll have to second the Smarty Junior. If at all possible, I would attempt to put gauges on first, then the Smarty. Want to watch those temps when really hammering down. Most say the 48RE is good up to about 80-100 extra HP, some have them last years at that power level, other have had failures. Just have to watch slipping the trans, it will kill it quick. And, if at the drag strip, you need to launch in 4 wheel drive.
Old 11-03-2008, 06:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nothing wrong with the Smarty Junior but I don't think it will be enough. I would go with the Smarty POD
Old 11-03-2008, 08:00 AM

I agree with all. GAUGES FIRST, TQ converter and v/b, and then Smarty POD.
If you are on a tight budget you don't want to hurt the motor and trans so I would want to beef the trans and monitor the vitals and then go have some fun.
Old 11-03-2008, 08:07 AM

On a tight budget why not just buy a quadzilla box, they are dirt cheap used and are all over the classifieds on here, finding one for an 07 may be hard though.
My disclaimer to the above is I want a smarty so bad I can taste it.... I may have to get one mailed to a friends house.....
Old 11-03-2008, 09:13 AM

I'm stationed alittle north of you at Hollaman AFB, NM. Seems to be Ford country up here. I have tried quite a few boxes/programmers and the Smarty is definitly #1. It will let you show up all those Chebby's and Ferds. Definitly get gauges first though. EGT and boost at a minimum to start, then Tranny temp, rail pressure and fuel pressure. But you will need to upgrade the tranny to be able to fully put the power to the ground. I would say at a minimum get a Valve Body, Flex Plate and torque converter. From there upgrade the fuel system. Just do it in steps that complement each other, and before you know it you'll be blowing thier doors off!
Old 11-03-2008, 10:12 AM

Cool

Originally Posted by goose2w1
I'm stationed alittle north of you at Hollaman AFB, NM. Seems to be Ford country up here. I have tried quite a few boxes/programmers and the Smarty is definitly #1. It will let you show up all those Chebby's and Ferds. Definitly get gauges first though. EGT and boost at a minimum to start, then Tranny temp, rail pressure and fuel pressure. But you will need to upgrade the tranny to be able to fully put the power to the ground. I would say at a minimum get a Valve Body, Flex Plate and torque converter. From there upgrade the fuel system. Just do it in steps that complement each other, and before you know it you'll be blowing thier doors off!
x2 ditto the above
Old 11-04-2008, 06:04 PM

thanks for the help guys
Old 11-04-2008, 08:42 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Save yourself a ton of money by watching what other folks have done. Then you can do it once and declare finished. If there is such a thing. LOL Just take your time and spend your money wisely so it won't cost you in the end. The Smarty Jr. is a good box but I would get gauges first if I was you.
Old 11-04-2008, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by snoyes
Most say the 48RE is good up to about 80-100 extra HP, some have them last years at that power level, other have had failures. Just have to watch slipping the trans, it will kill it quick.
mine has lasted 101K pulling heavy quad box on 60 and 60HP injectors. Its starting to feel mushy though.... I baby it most of the time, slow to 75 and then set the cruise and let it shift down, ect on its own... Thats my main problem with the quad box is it makes very littel extra power down low (seemes to have got worse with injectors) The thing is a beast at 2K and above, but under that......
Old 11-05-2008, 02:55 AM

If you want to beat on other trucks you need the big Smarty. With the POD option you could reach over and give it 200hp for a short duration Ford stomping.

Be warned that this is not an inexpensive sport and that sooner or later you will need at least a torque converter and valve body.

If you drive it like a Hummer you'll need some billet shafts while you have the trans tore appart.
Old 11-05-2008, 08:53 AM

From one Army Guy to another, I would go with the Smarty Jr... I have a Sr but have had it since my truck was new, would get a jr now if I was just buying. 2. get rid of the muffler and get a new air box I have a AFE stage II. I don't know the hp it gives me, but it souds good... Get some gages and you will be on your way... If your not planning on racing corvetts everyday this will do you. It will be all the power you will need to start.

Quick Reply: Help A Soldier Out