3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Help: Performance Drop in Air Filters Elements

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 11:56 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Help: Performance Drop in Air Filters Elements

Im looking to try something new in the Air intake dept. I currently run a MSAF, but am toying with the idea of making a fresh air intake out of the stock box and using my torque tube and some other things I have dreamed up. I need to find a replacement air filter element that is worthy of higher hp numbers. Can someone prescribe a good air filter element that replaces the stock one that is NOT an oiled style!
Old 06-29-2006, 03:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I recently put in an Amsoil EAa189 (I think that's the correct number) and I am happy with it so far.
Old 06-29-2006, 05:09 PM

Amsoil Ea here also. Like it so far. Look at my gallery for home made torque Tube. It is just the right size internally (Just a touch bigger than the Elbows) and the turbo sounds like a semi turbo now when it is whinning It has a low pitch to it now instead of the high pitch it had originaly.
It cost 10.00 and the best part is, it looks stock
Just my 2cents worth.
IC
Old 06-29-2006, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by IdleChatter'n
Amsoil Ea here also. Like it so far. Look at my gallery for home made torque Tube. It is just the right size internally (Just a touch bigger than the Elbows) and the turbo sounds like a semi turbo now when it is whinning It has a low pitch to it now instead of the high pitch it had originaly.
Just my 2cents worth.
IC

Didn't see the pics in your gallery. Can you post them in the thread?
Old 06-30-2006, 07:48 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by IdleChatter'n
Just my 2cents worth.
IC

can i ask what the purpose of the PVC was? one you gutted the air baffles out why not just put it back on?
Old 07-01-2006, 03:53 PM

Hey Idle Chatterin, what size PVC? 4"? I have been thinking about doing this myself, I can't help but think that the change in diameter in that sleeve would cause turbulence. I gutted mine and broke out the other baffles, and the inside diameter of that sleeve is considerably larger than the rest of the piping.
Old 07-03-2006, 08:13 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up super BHAF

Hey 2-Stroke,

Check out the super BHAF I made in the shop: it's got enough Cummins-spec dry filtration & flow to support 650 HP + 1220 ft-lb torque
I used the stock IAT and filter minder, 304 SS for the plenum housing and it looks awesome!

I've also got the loudest whistle possible with the stock Holset..

Check out my pics!
Oil filter changes got a lot easier, too.
Old 07-03-2006, 09:40 AM

that thing is sick! very unique. you have any more pics to show how everything is plumbed?
Old 07-03-2006, 11:29 AM

Thumbs up "Sick" rocks!

Thanks 2-Stroke,

That's the nicest thing anyone's said so far!

I designed a max-effort filtration mod for these CTDs - nothing else can come close... it's got the largest possible filter surface combined with the shortest possible filter-face to turbo inlet length.

It sucks like the high school prom queen at a frat party!

There's not much to the plumbing; just the SS plenum/filter holder necked down to the rubber boot for the turbo, supplied with all the fresh air it needs from the cowl plenum and open front grill (rubber shield/deflector removed).
With the exhaust I made, it breathes so well I believe it runs on the border of the fuel map - I'm gonna have to pick some of the rocket scientists' brains on the forum for more info...
Old 07-04-2006, 07:45 AM

how hot does the SS box get sitting right over the exh manifold?
Old 07-04-2006, 10:58 AM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 2-Stroke
how hot does the SS box get sitting right over the exh manifold?
The SS box doesn't get hot at all: it's connected to the turbo inlet with the rubber boot (no heat conduction there), mounted/stabilized with the SS arm to the radiator shroud bracket (again, no heat); the radiant heat transferred by the exhaust manifold is insignificant - I chose SS because of it's reflective (both visible & infrared) properties. With all of the active airflow coming through the open side of the grill & the open cowl plenum, there's not enough hot air surrounding the SS box to heat it either... it's the coolest part of the engine - even the intake horn is warmer.

BTW - for some reason, the CTD (well - 610s, anyhow) makes more power at higher air inlet temps - I think I'm gonna break down and start a thread for the brainiacs to chew on...